Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Meet The Star Wars Rebels Mandalorian Weapons Expert Sabine

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Meet The Star Wars Rebels Mandalorian Weapons Expert Sabine

Postby Staff » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:53 pm

The Hollywood Reporter has revealed the latest cast member for Rebels to be a Mandalorian who has "turned against the Empire" and Dave Filoni describes her further below:
Who is Sabine? She is a Mandalorian, and is described as "sassy," "spunky," "feisty" and has "a little bit of attitude." She has an expert's knowledge of weapons and arms, with an affinity for blowing things up. "She does it with flair," Sircar says of Sabine, who also moonlights as a graffiti artist.

This show is rapidly sounding more and more like a recycled Tron: Uprising to me, but I'm still curious, admittedly.

This Sabine character also seems a lot like Wyldstyle, but I'll bet she ends up cosplayed even quicker.
In 5-4-3...
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/19/meet-the-star-wars-rebels-mandolorian-weapons-expert-sabine/
Staff

Re: Meet The Star Wars Rebels Mandalorian Weapons Expert Sab

Postby chase54 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:28 pm

This isn't a complaint necessarily, but I want to see what people think:

Does her wearing pink armor and liking to do graffiti cheapen what you enjoy in a strong Mandalorian people?
Producer at Genesis Motion Picture Productions
All-around decent guy
Star Wars Lego addict
Old western movie obsessor
chase54

Postby dWhisper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:21 am

I don't care for Mandos outside of The Old Republic timeline, but I wouldn't say that it cheapens Mandos even a little bit. It cheapens and demeans women and continues to perpetuate the whole "pink = girls" thing, which is what we should be outraged about.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby onions » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:52 am

i agree with nick. they're trying to shove the fact that she's female down your throat. like you wouldn't be able to tell any other way. i have a feeling she's going to be more annoying than anything else.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby banthafodder » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:21 pm

Anakin with a dash of Ahsoka = Sabine. Have to get some clone crossover into here. As long as it's not this film's Jar-Jar I'm OK with it. I agree with the whole pink thing but maybe that is what females in a focus group associated better with; if they did focus groups. These were similar arguments with the launch of the friends line as well.
banthafodder

Postby dWhisper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:27 pm

While I don't want to derail this whole thing into a gender studies thing, but I'm the father of a young girl that I don't want to think she can only have things that are pink, and that's what things like this perpetuate. I actually doubt that a focus group pushed it, much more likely that a marketing team did.

There are a whole on of studies out there that show that the focus of toys for kids has little to do with color and much more to do with targeting. Put a boy and a girl on the box and either gender will pick it. The new "girls" nerf line tested just as high with boys as with girls because it created a better overall look. The whole pink vs. blue is comes down to what we push and accept socially. Color association with gender has changed pretty radically over the years, and there is no real basis for it as anything other than the whim of society. What's worse stuff like this is that it's flipped from just association that moves to being more ingrained and forced. Walk down the boy aisle (neon green) vs. the girl aisle (pink), or compare Friends to the rest of the Lego aisle.
dWhisper

Postby banthafodder » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:52 pm

I have a twelve year old daughter myself who loves the Friends line and had no interest in lego prior to this. She likes it because they are "girl legos". My wife and I have never pushed gender specific items on either one of our kids, but my daughter loves girly things. It has less to do what we as parents think and more to do with peer influence. We can only try to control this influence.
banthafodder

Postby crazybirdman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:38 pm

have the words "sassy," "spunky" & "feisty" ever been used to describe a guy?
crazybirdman

Postby ccjwprongs » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:39 pm

described as "sassy," "spunky," "feisty" and has "a little bit of attitude."

Sigh.
Neeeooowwwwww
ccjwprongs

Postby Joedward » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:40 pm

He went back to his home planet way too soon.

I think, as more and more information and promotional stuff is released for Rebels, the less excited about it I'm getting. I understand that Star Wars is targeted towards a primarily kids based market, but I hate just how much it gets directed towards that demographic.
The original Star Wars films were all rated U over here (I don't know what the equivalent is on the other side of the Pond) but they were enjoyed by kids and adults. They're enjoyed now by new kids and adults who were kids when the films were released. I saw all three when I was 6 in early '97 and I still love them. They are superb films, eve taking nostalgia into account.
I saw episodes I through III at ages 9, 12 and 15. I don't enjoy them anymore. Not really. I haven't enjoyed them in a while. Not like I used to.
I tried getting into the Clone Wars series that died recently. The film that preceded it was utter garbage, and although I haven't seen anything after series 3, I stopped watching because I thought it was terrible, it didn't do enough to lift itself above that god awful movie. I know I'm actually in a minority with that opinion, when it comes to the Clone Wars series, and quite a few here like it, but I just think it could have been so much more.
I think a lot of the reasons why I have such distaste for these is because of how kid orientated they are. I don't think the original trilogy suffered from the same thing. Maybe I'm wrong, and that's my nostalgia talking, but I'm not totally convinced that's the case.

There would, or should or could be a way of making this series more mature without alienating the primary demographic. I feel like it's just going to end up being more fart jokes and some absolutely ridiculous stereotypes (that Hutt from the TV series? WTF were they thinking?).

I want to be proven wrong, I want to like this... I think I might just be becoming cynical, but this looks to me like it's just going to be the next in line in a very long line of dumb.

/rant
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby onions » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:31 pm

good rant.

i honestly wonder if anyone over at lucas and/or disney has ever pushed for a mature star wars cartoon. i look back at the batman the animated series and still marvel at how well they hold up. it was clearly a mature cartoon. you won't find any characters in it that are "spunky", "sassy", or whatever. well maybe harley quinn, but her character is SO well done that those characteristics transcend from annoyance into awe. the dark knight, a good script, maybe a villain or two and that's all you really needed. and that cartoon was popular as hell. nothing ever felt like it was dumbed down. it was always the stories that were well written that kept me engaged. that and the art deco style.

i dunno. maybe we're jumping the gun a little bit. they may put some effort into writing really good stories too, but looking at that cocky look on sabine's face i lose all hope and it just makes me want to spraypaint her face red.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby dWhisper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:55 pm

Harley Quinn was so well done that she moved from extra in a cartoon to being a centerpiece in the whole DC and Batman mythos. Batman TAS and Beyond are still probably the best cartoons ever made for not trying to dumb-down and insult kids. Why they hold up so well.
dWhisper

Postby buriedbybricks » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:00 pm

I can't believe you'd lump Beyond in with BTAS. You're insane and need to be stopped at any cost!

That takes little or no effort.
buriedbybricks

Postby dWhisper » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Hey, I could have always said I thought Spider-man and his Amazing Friends was the best ever...
dWhisper

Postby crazybirdman » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:03 pm

Heck, even The Brave and the Bold got serious at times. I hate to jump on the 'Star Wars is for kids now' bandwagon, but there are so many shining examples of cartoons that are entertaining for all ages, from Avatar to uhm, something great that starts with 'Z'
crazybirdman

Postby SonOfSolo » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:40 pm

ccjwprongs wrote:
described as "sassy," "spunky," "feisty" and has "a little bit of attitude."

Sigh.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...................
SonOfSolo

Return to Star Wars