Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Toy Fair Report: LEGO Star Wars

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: Toy Fair Report: LEGO Star Wars

Postby naugem » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:46 am

When the line-up was revealed I thought I would be looking to buy most of these sets, but upon looking at them, I'm not so sure anymore.
The AT-AT doesn't look like a big improvement over 8129, if at all, even with the higher piece count. Will have to wait for side-by-side shots.
The Star Destroyer looks kind of meh.
I don't like the ship designs for the Rebels series.
The most interesting to me is the Jedi Scout Fighter.
The real stars of the wave are the minifigs, with the B-Wing and the Jedi Scout crews fighting for top spot. And the Twilek looks great too. I'm only dissapointed that Nien Nunb didn't get a head-sculpt.
naugem

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh...!!

Postby Blue Squadron » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:20 pm

I find myself both delighted and really p***ed with LEGO all at the same time.

I really like the effort they have put into the new original trilogy sets -- there are some *stupendous* details in there both in the new minifigs and in the set designs. The new Darth Vader is a must-get and is loooong over-due, although I'm kinda surprised that there isn't a new helmet.

I love the fact that they have gone as far as using sand blue and light bley for the new AT-AT Driver and sand bley General Veers. They seem to be working over-time on the geekiness to make the minifigs very close to the original costumes, although this does begin to put them slightly at variance to the *on-screen* appearances of the same costumes.

And here is the problem. They've now gone and rendered half of my favourite SW minifigs obsolete at a stroke! Bah! I love the new stuff but it's totally messing with my existing collection! I mean, after ALL this time we *finally* get a mould for proper Imperial uniform caps. No more original city police caps, no more cavalry kepis -- awesome! But it fits with precisely NONE of all the other stuff I have been so carefully collecting!. Honestly, why couldn't they have done this *years* ago?!
(I won't even mention the Stormies and the Snowtroopers...)

:shock: :facepalm: >8(

Oh well, c'est la vie... :roll:

Keep up the good work, LEGO!
;) :D
Blue Squadron

Postby lego the hutt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:59 pm

Going into toy fair I thought I would be purchasing the ISD and Cantina. B-wing and snow speeder were a maybe and At-At was a probably not.

Here are my thoughts.

After seeing them. Cantina is a must buy. I won't go into to much detail but I like the new landspeeder, dew back, bith etc etc. It is the stand out. If I had to come up with a negative I just wish it was a little bit bigger. It seems like the perfect candidate to have an attachable add on set in the next wave.

I'll probably still get an ISD but it's not my favorite design. I wish it had less exposed studs and more outside detail. As an adult collector I don't care how it opens up (though it didn't look very clean when opened. A cluster of technic pieces seemed to be in the way on the inside). I did think the thrusters looked good. I will probably try to display it so the bridge is visible from the front but the thrusters are still visible from a different angle. The way the gun turrets all moved at once was ok. One plus over the older one is that it seemed like a much more sturdy build.

I was pleasantly surprised by the snowspeeder. I'm a sucker for those clear stand pieces that make it look like vehicles are hovering. That was a great addition. Though I wish it had a line or 2 of orange. It comes with a Luke fig but that is not Luke's snowspeeder without the orange. Always good to get a tow cable. With the clear base to make it look like it is flying and the tow cable it will display fantastically with an AT-AT. Those 2 things together make it stand out over other snowspeeders we have gotten. The added laser bolts are nice I guess.

The B-wing is a no go. I was hoping it would come with a stand similar to the older version. That is a major negative because it doesn't sit well on a shelf. I don't like the underside of the plates being exposed on the wings. The new Ten Numb is nice. I like the orange jumpsuit but the helmet looks like it wraps to far around his head. Overall he is better than the older fig but not enough to make up for the other shortcomings. The other figures are mediocre. I was really hoping I was going to like the B-wing in this scale.

At-At is a definite no. There is nothing that seems like an improvement over what I already have. Less figures, similar build. There are some minor print difference in the pilot but all the figures seem the same. We all like snowtroopers...but 3 of the 5 figures? No thank you.

Of course i'm not buying any rebels sets...but that's just me. I mostly stick to OT with a rare PT mixed in. EU sets are not for me. So in summary, I'm excited about the cantina, as I expected. I'm excited about the snowspeeder which was totally unexpected. I'll get the ISD even though it has some negatives. I've been wanting an upgraded version of the ISD for to long not to pick one up. The rest will most likely be a pass.
lego the hutt

Re: Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh...!!

Postby dWhisper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:09 am

Blue Squadron wrote:They've now gone and rendered half of my favourite SW minifigs obsolete at a stroke!

Eh, I've never found it all that big of an issue in stuff, especially the non mainstream characters. Differences on Jedis just means more "generic" Jedis to toss in there.

Anyways, just wait until you realize that the helmet on all of the Phase 2 clones is different in this year's sets...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Blue Squadron » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:25 am

Fair enough! Everyone's mileage varies... ;)

I don't mind updates to *main* characters as I can retire older versions of core characters to the back (or even the back of the storage box...!) but the newer versions can then take pride of place at the front, whereas new versions of background army-builders that don't match what I already have is just irritating! Obviously my OCD is a problem (!). :D

Equally, I have no interest in the clones whatsoever as I just have no interest in the Prequels or CW, so I don't really care about altered clone helmets in the way that I *do* care about the fact that the new stuff won't look the same as my existing collection of SW minifigs, especially the large collection of Imperial army I have put together over time.

Ho hum...
Blue Squadron

Postby BeMild » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:30 pm

Having missed out on 6211 Star Destroyer (and listening to the seemingly universal opinion that the build is not all that sturdy), I was really looking forward to the opportunity to get a much-improved re-issue. This version seems to occupy a middle ground between the size and scope of 6211 and the midi-scale version...or does it just not translate well in the photos? Does anyone have a take on this?
BeMild

Postby dWhisper » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:44 pm

It looks smaller to me, but I haven't had my 6211 set together in many, many years
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby bigospedros » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:48 am

I had the impression in London that it was smaller
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby R8-C2 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:30 pm

I agree with those who say that Darth Vader needs a new helmet, as it looks bad compared to the newer, taller helmets. I see some complaints about the new snowspeeder, but I love the vehicle itself and the back updates do it for me. Luke's head confuses me, as the old one was fine without cheekbones. I'm glad they finally gave the snowtroopers their skirts and separate backpacks. The snow commander was a nice touch, but I wish the AT-AT had one more part to get to 1138.
I am Groot. WE are Groot
R8-C2

Postby Inzane » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:56 pm

Interesting wave.

Not interested in the two Rebels sets. They look like crap, worse than most of the CW crap.

ANOTHER variation of a Jedi starfighter? :facepalm: Maybe I haven't been keeping up on CW and all the various EU lately by why oh why do the Jedi need so many bloody ships?

On to the "good" stuff... OT baby.

Cantina: Nice improvement over 4501, but I wonder why they had to basically make the new set in the same style as that one (a little half-fascade, that swings open, etc), even copying the inclusion of the dewback and landspeeder. They could have excluded the landspeeder and made a more elaborate cantina. If we really needed another landspeeder (I'm not convinced we do, so soon at least), it could've been a complimentary set. Regarding the landspeeder, someone at lego apparently can't make up their mind on color: first tan, then sand red, then tan again, and now... orange? I'd have to see the two side by side but from the pics I would think the sand red is still more truer to the original color (or at the very least, most consistent with the original Kenner toy ;-) ). And of course nothing is sacred anymore. 4501 was unique for it's inclusion of the only Greedo and Dewback. Not anymore..........

AT-AT: Hmm.... I skipped/missed 8129. But I don't think I missed much since I already own 4483 (benchmark!) and 10178. This new one doesn't seem to be any better than 8129. Interesting figs though. And it looks like they're trying to hold the line on price.

Snowspeeder: Sigh... How many do I have now... 4? 5? I don't know that leg printing for the rebels pilots is enough incentive for me, never mind the price on this set. $40 now? ouch.

Star Destroyer: I'm intrigued by this one definitely. I think I'll wait for some hands-on reviews and perhaps some side-by-side comparison shots with 6211. But I think it looks good. I don't care about interior as an AFOL, however for the kiddies I'm thinking 6211 is probably better for playability. I think it has more room (overall) inside to place figures, etc.

B-Wing: I never felt there was anything particularly wrong with 6208, but it looks like this new one takes a few design cues from the UCS model. I like the look of the figs. I honestly can't recall who Craken is. Is he the guy that briefed the endor shuttle crew on their mission "blah blah blah.... and deactivate the shield generator"? But I find it mildyly amusing that they finally made a minifig of that other style of pilot (the asian guy seen briefly in ROTJ during battle of endor "There's... too many of them!!"). Before any of the EU geeks chime in, don't bother to tell me that guy's name... I don't care. ;)

The advent calendar looks like it's full of win! Too bad at $50 I can't justify buying one. In Canada it seems hit or miss on your luck of finding them on clearance or discount.
Inzane

Postby Matthew » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:05 pm

The Phantom will actually be $24.99

I am so excited for the sets. I'm going to get them all. :cool:
Matthew

Postby Flynn » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:44 pm

Brickwright wrote:Lego seems to be making a concerted effort to push detail and movie accuracy, and I love the results. For most of its lifetime, there has been a "Lego Star Wars" aesthetic that, while similar to the movies, felt distinct in its presentation and style (I think the games are also a big part of that, too). Here, these sets feel more immediately evoke the scenes and characters as they actually appeared. They still have their humor and levity they are known for (the bone for the dewback or the everpresent mug for command crew), but it feels a little less cartoony than it used to. I'm not sure if that makes sense, but its what I thinking after looking at this new Summer wave. I'm very excited.

This, in a nutshell, sums up precisely why I don't like most of these sets- in particular the minifigures. Ditching the LEGO aesthetic in favor of supposed accuracy and realism is IMO the absolute wrong thing to do (and the fact people are now complaining about the Vader helmet when it's a masterstroke of design seriously depresses me).
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Matthew » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Also here is proof that the phantom will be $24.99

http://brickset.com/sets/75048-1/The-Phantom
Matthew

Previous

Return to Star Wars