Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

It's the End of the EU as We Know It!

The reason FBTB came to be. We don't forget our roots.

Re: It's the End of the EU as We Know It!

Postby Flynn » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:05 am

This is all just reminding me how loathsome I find the concept of 'canon' to begin with. Really wish Star Wars would start taking a page out of Doctor Who's book when it comes to stuff like this.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby dWhisper » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:09 am

You mean just basically make it up as they go along and selectively ignore when they don't like something?
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Flynn » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:15 am

More that the BBC chooses not to state whether or not any of the spinoff material is "canon" or not, thus leaving it open for debate/interpretation. Who famously doesn't have a canon, so whether or not something like the Big Finish audios or the Virgin New Adventures from the 90s "count" is up to the individual viewer/reader to decide, rather than it being arbitrarily based on the whims of the creator(s).

But yeah, basically. Making it up as they go along and then ignoring the contradictions never did anyone any harm (it's how we got Vader as Luke's father, after all).
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Blacknight » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:23 pm

dWhisper wrote:
Chief wrote:Karen Traviss killed Mara Jade

Whoa... Oh wow, first I'd heard of this (I stopped reading the novels after the first few horrible Keven J. Anderson books).

Seriously, Mara Jade was one of the few great things to come out of the post RoTJ EU I read. I hope they at least use her name for Luke's wife in the new movies. It will feel weird if he marries someone with a different name... like he's having an affair or something.
Blacknight

Postby buzzard31581 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:38 am

Blacknight wrote:
dWhisper wrote:
Chief wrote:Karen Traviss killed Mara Jade

Whoa... Oh wow, first I'd heard of this (I stopped reading the novels after the first few horrible Keven J. Anderson books).

Seriously, Mara Jade was one of the few great things to come out of the post RoTJ EU I read. I hope they at least use her name for Luke's wife in the new movies. It will feel weird if he marries someone with a different name... like he's having an affair or something.

It was in the Legacy of the Force series. I attended a panel at DragonCon last year with Mike Stackpole, Kevin J. Anderson, Aaron Allston, and Timothy Zahn. Amazing and very interesting group of people. I asked them how it feels to have another author kill off one of your characters (in this case, Traviss killing off Zahn's character) and also if they collaborate with the creating author before doing anything significant like this with one of the characters.

The response I got was interesting. They all said that normally they do contact the creating author in advance just due to the friendships they've forged over the years. It's more out of respect than anything else. Occasionally they'll take input. However, they understand that when creating characters for the books in this universe, the characters don't belong to them and that anything can happen to them. However, in this case, they said there was a huge communication SNAFU and Zahn didn't actually find out they were going to do this until a couple months before the book was set to be released and it had already been printed. Apparently Allston had contacted him, as he was one of the collaborating authors of the series, and told him what was happening.

I also asked if they had any idea on how the book creation process was going to change since Disney had just taken over. They couldn't really answer because none of them had worked for Disney previously. However, they said that Disney seemed to have a much tighter control of their intellectual properties.

I imagine the SW authors panel at DragonCon will be a very interesting one this year. If you can find your way to Atlanta over Labor Day weekend, it's definitely an experience.

As for the article, I didn't get that they were going to scrap the whole EU. The article just states that they aren't going to tell those stories. It also says that the creators will have access to the content of the EU, meaning they can pull from it as they see fit. And if I'm reading it right, anything that comes out from now on under the new Disney label will be considered canon.
buzzard31581

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:13 pm

buzzard31581 wrote:As for the article, I didn't get that they were going to scrap the whole EU. The article just states that they aren't going to tell those stories. It also says that the creators will have access to the content of the EU, meaning they can pull from it as they see fit. And if I'm reading it right, anything that comes out from now on under the new Disney label will be considered canon.

I think the clear implication is that, while elements from the EU might find their way into new stories, the EU stories themselves are scrapped. At the very least, they are saying that they are telling new, different stories, with the same characters, in the same time period as some of the EU stories, and the stories we read in the EU about what those characters did during that same time period are definitely gone from the canon.
Mister Ed

Postby Inzane » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:51 pm

dWhisper wrote:You mean just basically make it up as they go along and selectively ignore when they don't like something?

You mean basically like what George Lucas had been doing for the last 35 years?
Inzane

Postby dWhisper » Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:28 am

If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby fallenangel327 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:49 pm

It appears I'm a bit late to the news, but it takes a lot for me to come back after all this time anyway.

Inzane wrote:
dWhisper wrote:You mean just basically make it up as they go along and selectively ignore when they don't like something?

You mean basically like what George Lucas had been doing for the last 35 years?

Precisely.

Well, it's been fun.
fallenangel327

Previous

Return to Star Wars