Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Transformers Kreon Micro-Changers "Minifigures"

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Transformers Kreon Micro-Changers "Minifigures"

Postby MicroJow » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:39 am

I know I'm probably going to get drummed out of here for this, but I figured if anyone is interested, this info might be helpful.

Firstly, it appears Hasbro is aping Lego once more - this time by offering blind-bagged minifigures of the Transformers. There are six available in their "Preview Series": Spinster, Galvatron, Sunstorm, Waspinator, Scorponok, and Crankstart.

I found a box at Walmart this morning and bought 12 in the hopes of finding a complete set. Since the pieces of the figures are packed into small plastic bags inside the outer pouch, it was pretty impossible to figure out which was which via the touchy-feelie method. When I got to the car and truly examined the package, however, I noticed a set of numbers running along the bottoms of the front of the packages.

"No way they made it THIS easy," I thought, but nevertheless, once sorted, I had plainly identified six different number codes and each package contained a different figure. Here's what you need to know:

21511 0 - Crankstart
21511 1 - Scorponok
21511 2 - Waspinator
21511 7 - Spinster
21511 8 - Galvatron
21511 9 - Sunstorm

And jussssssst to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I opened another 21511 1 and inside was another Scorponok.

I duly returned the rest of the figures to Walmart and went on my merry way.

Hope this info helps anyone who is actually interested in these guys!

- MJ
MicroJow

Re: Transformers Kreon Micro-Changers "Minifigures"

Postby Morgan19 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:58 am

The acessories with the "Kreons" (I guess that's what they're calling them?) are nifty and good for LEGO-customizing, but the larger sets they come in aren't really worth it (IMO). I wasn't aware of the single-packs you mentioned, so did some searching and actually came across this page, with some other interesting info...

If you scroll down to the bottom, there's a couple paragraphs on cheaper "Kreon-only sets", which appear to basically be the equivalent of LEGO battlepacks: four figures plus some small vehicles for $11. What caught my eye in particular are the black helmets on the purple Decepticons. They're nice-looking designs, and compatible with LEGO.

So thanks for pointing that out, in a roundabout way. ;)

m19
Morgan19

Postby cowbug » Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:01 pm

Thanks for the heads up. The larger buildable sets were not that great but I did really like the Kreons. I'll be keeping an eye ort for the micro packs.
cowbug

Postby SevFalcon » Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:18 pm

Thanks, MicroJow. How much were they each?
SevFalcon

Postby Morgan19 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:50 am

My Target had the $11.99 Autobot "army builder" set in stock over the weekend, but not the individual figures–– from what I've read, though, the figures are priced at $2.99.

m19
Morgan19

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:41 am

That's hilarious about the #'s. At least Lego had bar codes. rofl. I'm on the fence about these things.
Gooker1

Postby JamesBenjamin » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:23 am

I'm a big TF fan as well as a Lego guy. I went and bought all of last years sets (on clearance) and kept the minifigs and weapons, but sold off the bricks in a lot on evilbay. The figs are cute if you're a G1 TF fan.

That said, these little blind packs are pretty nifty. In addition to the helmets/weapons being compatible, the figs are pretty neat.
We are such stuff as manure is made of, so let's drink up and forget it... -Eugiene O'Neill
JamesBenjamin

Postby MicroJow » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:08 am

$2.97 at Walmart so, yeah, $2.99.

I was originally not interested in the whole Kreo Transformers series - I'm not much of a Transformers fan. Liked them as a kid, didn't care much for the movies, and when I re-watched the original series with my nephews a few years back, I thought "holy hell. I actually thought this was GOOD?" The boys liked it, tho. Guess at a certain age our tastes aren't as discriminating.

Then I found Megatron and Starscream on sale for $20 each at Walmart. Starscream was actually a pretty good build / model in both forms. At first I thought it sucked that the models didn't transform, but the more I thought about it, the more I liked the fact you had to disassemble the robot to build the vehicle. It added to the play time. Still not sold on there being leftover bricks once each model is built, but whatever.

So while I liked Starscream, Megatron wasn't nearly as good. Some steps in the instructions called for a plate in dark grey that didn't exist in the set. It was clearly a different shade from the black and other grey pieces... but it wasn't there. They included regular grey pieces instead and the builder just had to figure that out for themselves. Also, the picture on the package shows Megatron as having wheels and doors on his arms. Guess what the instructions leave out?

So, yeah, the quality control on this first wave leaves something to be desired.

I ended up liking the Kreons, tho, and when GoHastings had the sets on sale for around 75% off, I ended up buying the rest of them. Bumblebee was another solid build, as was Sideswipe and a few others.

Another problem I started to have was distinguishing their pearlish grey pieces from the clear pieces in the instructions. That and the fact the dark blue in Optimus Prime was nearly indistinguishable from the black pieces. The only way I could tell the difference was to hold them up to a light.

So on the whole, I'm glad they're starting to offer the Kreons separately. I may still buy the occasional set, but for the most part, they didn't grab me the way the Kreons have. I wonder if they are going to go back and start releasing the Kreo wave one Kreons in the upcoming blind-bagged series...?

Sorry about the mini-review. Got a bit carried away :)

- MJ

EDIT: GoHastings still has the whole line on sale. Some really good prices, too! And I bet you can find discount coupons online if you looked.

http://www.gohastings.com/catalog/search_all.cmd?form_state=global-search-form-form&keywords=Kreo+Transformers&search-button.x=0&search-button.y=0&productType=0&query=&form_state=siteSearchForm&department=AllSearch&departmentName=AllSearch&dynamic=&search=true&source=global&condition=0
MicroJow

Postby onions » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:13 am

MicroJow wrote: "holy hell. I actually thought this was GOOD?"

i think everyone has this reaction. it's better to not rewatch any of the old episodes so that the awesomeness lives on in memory.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby SevFalcon » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:24 pm

Cool, thanks for the h/u on the prices.

It seems like with the new series out at Target and TRU (Quest for Energon, or something like that), the first wave is being clearanced out systematically. I picked up a Sideswipe today at WM for $9.00. He's been retained at the full price (along with Bumblebee) for a long time, so I was waiting for him to finally go on sale.

onions wrote:
MicroJow wrote: "holy hell. I actually thought this was GOOD?"

i think everyone has this reaction. it's better to not rewatch any of the old episodes so that the awesomeness lives on in memory.

Agreed 100%. The original TF cartoons have not aged well (please don't flame me, TF fans). GI Joe, on the other hand, still looks darn decent....
SevFalcon

Postby MicroJow » Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:21 pm

I found and picked up the battle packs today. While building the DECEPTICON AMBUSH set, all I could think was "Um. Cliffjumper can turn into a CAR. Why does he need to escape on an ATV?"

Still, nice to have Cliffjumper in my collection.

- MJ
MicroJow

Postby MicroJow » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:47 am

While strolling through the aisles of Toys-R-Us last night, I noticed some new Kre-O Transformers toys. Looks like they're pretty much abandoning the idea of playsets and models you can assemble as either a robot or a vehicle and going full-on Kreon.

The first sets I noticed were "Beast Hunters" Combiners. For $11.99, you get four Kreons which you can build individually, or assemble together into a "combiner." The four sets are:

Predaking
Superion
Decepticon Bruticus
Constructicon Devastator

Next to these on the shelf was a box of Micro-Changers, Collection 1. The box boasted "12 TO COLLECT!"

Autobot Springer
Inferno
Quickslinger
Rampage
Insecticon
Singe
Decepticon Hook
Warpath
Dirge
Blast Off
Decepticon Bludgeon
Airachnid

And once again, they make identification simple by providing numbers, this time on the back of the package at the top. All of the number codes started with 23401, but was then followed by two more digits. After sorting through the box, I determined that there were 12 different codes, took one of each, and went on my merry way. I've opened 7 of them thus far with no duplicates (I'm very glad they are still making identification so easy because I am going to have to go back and exchange Inferno. He's got two right arms.)

Happy Hunting, folks!

- MJ
MicroJow

Postby MicroJow » Mon May 20, 2013 10:15 am

The second set of Micro Changers has shown up at my local Target. In this series are:

Bulkhead
Scourge
Blight
Arcee
Acid Wing
Vehicon
Hardshell
Powerglide
Perceptor
Lugnut
Hoist
Autobot Groove

And once again, a full set can be gleaned by checking the back of the package for a numeric code. The last two numbers of each individual character should be different. Mine were "66" through "77."

- MJ
MicroJow

Return to Finds/Deals