Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Site Sponsor: Brian's Toys

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

New Site Sponsor: Brian's Toys

Postby Staff » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:04 pm

Brian's Toys

Back in the day when I first started collecting Star Wars action figures, Brian's Toys was one of the few well known stores for Star Wars collectibles. My impression at the time was that they were one of the few specializing in vintage items, which wasn't really my cup of tea. My memory may be a bit fuzzy on that one. Anyways, fast forward a few years later and I'm actually glad to see that they are still around and going strong considering how many other stores I've seen shutter their doors due to the economy. With that being said, FBTB would like to officially welcome Brian's Toys as a site sponsor! It's a bit of a full circle moment for me. So if you take a look over at the right hand side bar, you'll see an animated gif linking you directly to their site. Brian's Toys sells new toys as well as vintage collectibles from your childhood. So hop on over and check them out!
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/06/14/new-site-sponsor-brians-toys/
Staff

Re: New Site Sponsor: Brian's Toys

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:31 am

Hm.....not sure how I feel about this. I used to collect Hasbro as well, and Brian's Toys is well known for their scalper-like practices (especially at conventions). They definitely wouldn't be my first choice to purchase LEGO; but hey, to each their own. ;)
The_Chosen_1

Postby legoloco » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:47 am

I am amazed that they say they pay "top dollar for retired sets" and are only offering to pay $250 for a sealed UCS falcon. I promise to beat their deal and pay a whopping $300 for anyone who will sell me their sealed UCS falcons. I call that my TOP-TOP, or Top Squared, Deal.

My UCS falcon is still sealed, I bought it just before Christmas 2008. And if I sold it to them I would still take a loss of $6 on what I paid for it back then.
legoloco

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:41 am

I'd say that's a prime example of the way they do business.
The_Chosen_1

Postby ufjason » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:08 pm

They are a for profit business. No matter where you go you're not going to find retired sets for anywhere near retail pricing unless they're extremely unpopular sets. You had your chance to buy at retail, don't be sore that you've got to pay a premium now. The scalping argument needs to be retired. No one is preventing you from getting your toys, give it up.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:43 pm

Did you even read mine or legoloco's posts? Neither of us was complaining about paying a premium for retired sets; that's obviously the nature of discontinued sets. Legoloco's post accurately points out how ridiculous Brian's Toys program for purchasing collectibles is ($250 for a MISB UCS Millennium Falcon is pretty insulting any way you cut it.

I'm active in other Star Wars collecting communities, and to many collectors Brian's Toys is synonymous with the term "scalping". There's a difference between a company having premium prices (which is expected), and the way they undercut fans and collectors to get to the exclusives first - especially at conventions.
The_Chosen_1

Postby b0baF3tt » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:17 pm

I noticed the $250 falcon too. That price is missing a zero. That has to be a typo. Who in their right mind would sell their falcon for that?? Its probably fairly safe to say though, anyone who has a sealed falcon is smart enough not to sell it for $250.
b0baF3tt

Postby Mofo Jones » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:44 pm

For a sealed 10179, there oughta be a 1 in front of that $250, especially if they're willing to pay $900 for a sealed 10030 ISD.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby ufjason » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:31 am

Sounds like good business to me, buy low and sell high. Scalping implies that there is a limited supply of a current item which a seller is taking advantage of and reselling at a high markup. Online retailers typically have a few dollars of markup here and there, TRU being a prime example online and in store. MSRP is a suggestion from Lego but not a requirement (like Apple products). I actually accept TRU markups as they are the only free standing toy store left and need to charge a premium for that. I also choose not to pay them as no one twists my arm! Yes, they have store exclusives but that's the point of having them.

Take the smaller online retailers like bbts and Brian's Toys and they have to compete with everyone under the sun. They may markup the more in demand items while leaving shelf warming items without any markup. Whether the MF offer of $250 was a typo or just old info, it doesn't matter much since no one forces someone to take that offer. Unless you run a toy store online, you can't really criticize these guys for their business practices unless you run one that fits your moral imperatives. Caveat emptor, let the buyer beware. It's not up to the seller to inform people what a good deal is or if they're overpaying.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby banthafodder » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:37 am

No one is asking you to sell either. They are a business and have to cover expenses as well. I do agree that the UCS Falcon is a low ball figure but I guess there is a reason that they are still in business when so many others have gone under. They're not collectors but resellers and can't and won't pay what a collector would.
banthafodder

Postby Brick_Obession » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:05 pm

I see no problem with their pricing. No one is putting a gun to go a person head to sell it to them. In fact, it's good business sense on their part. Who pays top dollar for something only to turn around and sell it and make no money on it?

If you don't like it, don't sell it to them. I certainly look for the best deal when I am searching for items, they are no different.
"The future is a consequence of the present"
Brick_Obession

Postby ricefields » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:56 pm

There's still definitely some typos in their list. for example
mini turbo tank $6
mini republic cruiser $50

it should be reversed but both are up there in price - 20006 was more rare so the $6 is definitely off and maybe missing a 0. I am sure many have the cruiser but not the turbo tank.
ricefields

Return to Finds/Deals