Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Shop@Home End of Year Clearance Sale

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: LEGO Shop@Home End of Year Clearance Sale

Postby Brainslugged » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:57 am

Maybe not ending up with a huge pile of baseplates from Ramses Pyramid was a good thing, because then I'd have been tempted to get Tower Bridge just to get all the beige pieces to contribute to an awesome Tatooine scene.
Brainslugged

Postby Diaaabo » Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:18 pm

And my Tantive IV got cancelled >8( it was the main reason I ordered from S@H... It's weird because when I ordered on monday it was available, not even backordered.
Diaaabo

Postby Bellicose » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:17 am

l44l44 wrote:Wow. Did Lego ship ANY ramses games? Are they canceling because this was a price mistake?

This could be the case - the sale price as marked in-store was quite a bit higher than this online sale price.
Bellicose

Postby Cara » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:43 am

I had two orders in one placed at home that i'm still waiting to find out about *fingers crossed* although the rest of that order has now shipped :( and one I placed while at the lego shop that was cancelled.
Cara

Postby milkbottlec » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:44 pm

sorry, I'm in UK.

I know lots of you got order but cancelled for ramses pyramid.
How much discount was it? =] just wanna know...
and what price should I get it if I see discount in UK stores?
THANKS!
milkbottlec

Postby bigospedros » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:15 pm

milkbottlec wrote:sorry, I'm in UK.

THANKS!

It was $3.98 to buy the set ... not sure what the RRP was in the US, but whatever it was, I think the price that was listed was the amount that was supposed to be taken off the RRP. Hence the orders being cancelled. No firm is legally bound to sell an item to you, especially if mis-priced.

Can't answer the UK question ... if you see it cheap and the price is right for you, buy it.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby l44l44 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:21 pm

bigospedros wrote:
milkbottlec wrote:sorry, I'm in UK.

THANKS!

It was $3.98 to buy the set ... not sure what the RRP was in the US, but whatever it was, I think the price that was listed was the amount that was supposed to be taken off the RRP. Hence the orders being cancelled. No firm is legally bound to sell an item to you, especially if mis-priced.

Can't answer the UK question ... if you see it cheap and the price is right for you, buy it.

Lego lowered the MSRP to $10 a couple of months ago. At the same time, they lowered the monster 4 set to $5 MSRP. Then ,they sold the monster set for $2, or 87% off the old MSRP.

Then this week, they put the pyramid on clearance to the same percentage off the original MSRP, 87%. I don't think it was a mistake.
l44l44

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:10 pm

bigospedros wrote: No firm is legally bound to sell an item to you, especially if mis-priced.

Really? I thought there was SOME kind of legal obligation to honor advertised prices. Otherwise stores could bait and switch prices to their heart's content, claiming "mistake" and then trying to sell you something else, or the same thing at a higher price, when you get there. (Or worse, they could put false prices on the shelves, and ring up something different at the register, hoping folks wouldn't notice the difference, and simply claim "mistake" in the few instances that people checked their receipts.)
Mister Ed

Postby bigospedros » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:48 pm

Mister Ed wrote:
bigospedros wrote: No firm is legally bound to sell an item to you, especially if mis-priced.

Really? I thought there was SOME kind of legal obligation to honor advertised prices. Otherwise stores could bait and switch prices to their heart's content, claiming "mistake" and then trying to sell you something else, or the same thing at a higher price, when you get there. (Or worse, they could put false prices on the shelves, and ring up something different at the register, hoping folks wouldn't notice the difference, and simply claim "mistake" in the few instances that people checked their receipts.)

To quote the moneysavingexpert website :

Shops aren't obliged to sell anything to anyone. If a £200 Nintendo has a £10 price tag, it can refuse to sell at that price. Once you've paid in-store, it's effectively a done deal (online it's once delivered). If the mis-price is deliberate not an error, it's a criminal offence, so report to Trading Standards.

So, bait and switch is illegal, but stores are not obliged to honour the stated prices if it's a mistake.

In this case, they can quite easily cancel orders stating it's a mistake because they've not mailed them out yet.

Just because we were told it would be down to $3.98, it doesn't mean that it wasn't a mistake.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:12 pm

bigospedros wrote:So, bait and switch is illegal, but stores are not obliged to honour the stated prices if it's a mistake.

Maybe I'm missing something, but this essentially means that bait and switch may be technically illegal, but really all but unenforceable, since you have to somehow prove intentionality, which should be impossible unless the company is foolhardy enough to write memos saying, "Let's bait and switch with this product, guys!" Lovely.

In this case, it sounds like LEGO got a NUMBER of people to order stuff they would not otherwise have ordered from Shop@Home to take advantage of various deals, then cancelled out of the ones that were the biggest discounts? I actually don't believe for a second this was intentional manipulation, but apparently, even if it was, it would be OK legally, since you could never prove it.
Mister Ed

Postby bigospedros » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:43 pm

Mister Ed wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but this essentially means that bait and switch may be technically illegal, but really all but unenforceable, since you have to somehow prove intentionality, which should be impossible unless the company is foolhardy enough to write memos saying, "Let's bait and switch with this product, guys!" Lovely.

In this case, it sounds like LEGO got a NUMBER of people to order stuff they would not otherwise have ordered from Shop@Home to take advantage of various deals, then cancelled out of the ones that were the biggest discounts? I actually don't believe for a second this was intentional manipulation, but apparently, even if it was, it would be OK legally, since you could never prove it.

So someone should complain to Trading Standards if they think it was intentional ...

But in reality, they've done nothing wrong here, because they've not forced people to pay the original RRP or forced them to buy anything else. They've simply cancelled part of whole orders (if this was the only item on it). Also, have you considered that they may just have run out of stock or miscounted their stocks in the first place? I assume no actual reason has been given for the cancellations officially ?

There may be more info here.

Not sure what the law is outside of the UK though.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:55 pm

bigospedros wrote:But in reality, they've done nothing wrong here, because they've not forced people to pay the original RRP or forced them to buy anything else. They've simply cancelled part of whole orders (if this was the only item on it). Also, have you considered that they may just have run out of stock or miscounted their stocks in the first place?

Well, yeah. In fact, I kind of had been assuming that IS what happened, because it didn't seem that outrageous of a discount given what I've already seen the set marked down for, and I was thinking that cancelling an order simply because you didn't want to sell for the price you advertised wasn't kosher, and I didn't believe LEGO would do that.

I was more reacting to finding out that, apparently, bait and switch laws have a gaping loophole that makes them all but useless, rather than to anything LEGO has or hasn't done in this instance. I trust LEGO, and was assuming that whatever the reason it was totally legitimate, if rather unfortunate and kind of a PR hiccup.
Mister Ed

Postby bigospedros » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:20 am

I don't think there is a loophole here really ... since there has to be a "switch" and this clearly hasn't happened in this case. Also, as with all crime there is a need for evidence and sometimes that can be difficult to get.

Most major chains will honour a mis-price, especially if in-store, as a gesture of goodwill. They'll then take swift action to stop everyone being able to do it. If it's an online site, since the contract is not entered into until delivery commences, any order can be cancelled up to that point. Could be for any number of reasons and I'm sure the retailer doesn't have to state one.

Everyone is assuming it's because it was too cheap, but that may well not be the case.

I think it's quite telling that the item doesn't even exist on Lego's site now ... which would suggest to me this was more a stock issue, than any kind of mis-pricing.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby MShiels » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:48 am

It would be nice if LEGO was just honest for once - putting thema ll in backorder state, then cancel, kinda hinky personally!!!
ImageIf near Mississauga, come visit us at 2410 Dunwin Drive, Unit 5 - your local Ontario LEGO only store - TRUly the largest selection of LEGO around
And out Bricklink store is http://Shop.LastingToys.Com
MShiels

Postby scandell » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:27 am

Merely commenting to prevent myself from reading the previous post over and over. The Lego company is awesome. No more whining.
scandell

Postby yakkotank » Sun Jan 08, 2012 6:40 pm

FYI - LEGO dropped the prices on some sets to 40% - 50% off (mostly Ninjago).
yakkotank

Postby nyjpapi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:04 am

Lego Shop@Home just discounted a few sets in their Sales & Deals section even more.

Link: http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/cli ... ale_pt3_US
nyjpapi

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:03 am

Some good deals in there, but only a couple things that I'd bite on. Too bad they don't offer free shipping, as the shipping costs really dig into the savings. Unless you really spend a lot of bread, it practically isn't worth the trouble.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Chief » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks for the tip. FBTB has even more draft sets in the queue now :)
Chief

Previous

Return to Finds/Deals