Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MASSIVE S@H sale

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: MASSIVE S@H sale

Postby Nannan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:12 pm

BrickSith206 wrote:
Yeah, who wants to deal with crowds? I spent about 30k in less than an hour. The best part is I didn't even leave my office.

Where do you have the space to put 30k (60k worth) of Lego? Just 9k (14k worth) of Lego is enough to cover my living room. There's no way I can let that just sit there for longer than a few days before I go insane.
Nannan

Postby BrickUpdate » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:46 am

$30,000 spent on LEGO in one trip? $9,000 worth of LEGO spent in one trip? Are you people dealers on BrickLink, or do you keep all of these pieces/sets? I'm not complaining at all, I'm really just curious.

I spent less than $100 at the LEGO store at their 50% off sale, and somehow, suddenly feel very silly that I didn't max out my credit cards! ;)
BrickUpdate

Postby BrickSith206 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:27 am

@ onions: from S@H I did but there are no affiliate links to use on the phone. :)

@ thatguy: It's a numbers game. I could physically spend a few hours in one store, or I could reach out to my network from my office and have it all show up at my door. Essentially, it was like I was in 6 stores. Shipping is merely a cost of doing business, plus 5% shipping beats 10% WA tax any day of the week.

@ nannan: Currently in my 3k sq ft warehouse, closing a deal on an adjacent suite to give us 5k sq ft at the end of January. I saw the pictures of your living room, it looked awesome!

@ brickupdate: yes, I own one of the largest Bricklink stores currently operating as well as doing a lot of exporting to businesses and customers abroad through my own channels. I still build when I have free time.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby that guy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:42 am

I think a vast majority of people are underestimating how exceptionally rare and spectactular this sale was. For anyone including re-sellers you don't ever see the sheer volume and quantity of sets that they listed so of course we took advantage of it without prejudice. I bought everything I could both online and in store before every card I had was on fire. Bottom line is that if you're a reseller you probably took full advantage and if you're a hobbyist you may look back and wonder why you didn't buy more because it'll be a long time before you see Lego proper have a sale like this again. On a side note the other great reason to take advantage of Lego's sale versus other stores is they have the best rewards program going plus you can use any rewards credit card on top of that. Heck, I bought more than a few fire brigades with just my rewards points from this weekend. But hey, that's just all my opinion of this sale.

@bricksith206. Yeah I know it's a numbers game and I agree. I justify it by offsetting the shipping with my rewards points and when you buy enough at once I agree you actually come out ahead. I was just saying it more because I would've done anything to still have that free shipping active. ;). But I am curious how you avoided sales tax since you have a Lego store in your state which would exclude you from avoiding tax under normal circumstances (unless you're using a resale license which would negate in store tax as well than so it'd be a moot point). Nice trick either way. Also, props on your Bricklink biz, I'm big but not that big. :facepalm:
that guy

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:06 am

And after the big spenders have spoken, I found out that my midi-ISD shipped from LEGO. I only paid tax and shipping, so by using my VIP points, my cost was $5.41 or so. I can take a picture of the box in my living room, but I promise it won't be impressive. XD
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Nannan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:27 am

BrickUpdate wrote:$30,000 spent on LEGO in one trip? $9,000 worth of LEGO spent in one trip? Are you people dealers on BrickLink, or do you keep all of these pieces/sets? I'm not complaining at all, I'm really just curious.

Although I am a reseller on Bricklink, the Lego you saw in that picture are for charity. My store's inventory is nowhere near that much. I'm as curious as you are to hear what it's like to be a a big-time seller.
Nannan

Postby Gooker1 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:13 am

I truly agree this is a once in a blue moon (every few years) sale. I can imagine it's pretty crazy trying to coordinate all of that work. By any chance did either of you, bricksith or that guy, call the Ontario store? While I was ringing out, an employee was gathering up a bunch of stuff for a phone order. :)

As a collector, I took advantage of what I could (aka available funds). No doubt I would have gone crazy and spend a thousand on lego if I could have. It's always nice to have some extra sets on the side for future trades or fundraising purposes...aka, i'm broke. haha

Either way it was a great sale and congrats to everyone who took advantage of it. I hope they do that on their Clone Wars stuff, b/c that's the only way I'll buy that mess, like Anakin's Y Wing. :)
Gooker1

Postby Puddleglum » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:40 pm

BrickSith206 wrote:@ thatguy: It's a numbers game. I could physically spend a few hours in one store, or I could reach out to my network from my office and have it all show up at my door. Essentially, it was like I was in 6 stores. Shipping is merely a cost of doing business, plus 5% shipping beats 10% WA tax any day of the week.

I don't know if your BrickLink store is your livelyhood, or just a supplement. But I read an observation somewhere that people who work for themselves/run their own business have a better idea of the marginal value of their own time. I sell on BrickLink just occasionally to supplement my LEGO spending money, and even that little experience is enough for me to believe you about it being worth the cost of shipping. The time spent driving around from store to store, waiting in line, etc, is time you could be spending parting out sets, or listing sets, or packing orders, or whatever.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby King » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:06 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

XD

Love the discussion...I only spent about 3K in total on the Lego stores/Walmart clearance and I only sell a little on BL. It is much easier to explain to the wife if I can say..."at least I didn't spend 30K"! On a side note...BS206 probably has the absolute best policies/splash page on BL.

King
FBTB member before 9/1/11? You get 3% off everything in my Bricklink store. Just PM me on FBTB before you order and note it on your BL order.
King

Postby that guy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:14 pm

As I said above, I totally agree and wasn't disputing that. I was just lamenting the loss of the free shipping from several weeks ago. And yes, my time is worth more than my driving around, no doubt. That being said I still had to hit my local store to grab more because it was worth it for me, just like BrickSith206 did.
that guy

Postby Nannan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:26 pm

King wrote: On a side note...BS206 probably has the absolute best policies/splash page on BL.

Can we get a link please?
Nannan

Postby BrickUpdate » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:40 pm

Here is their store: http://www.bricklink.com/store.asp?p=BrickShop206
Thanks everyone for the discussion here, it's been really enlightening as to who some of you are, and how you create a business on BrickLink. This sale seemed to really work out for everyone! Considering going back tonight for a few more sets, but we'll see!
BrickUpdate

Postby King » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:50 pm

That's the one. Thanks BrickUpdate.

King
FBTB member before 9/1/11? You get 3% off everything in my Bricklink store. Just PM me on FBTB before you order and note it on your BL order.
King

Postby Nannan » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:08 pm

No surprises, I've bought quite a few times from this store!
Nannan

Postby SDIronClaw » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:53 pm

To quote Obi Wan.....Very interesting. I have often wondered how BL works and runs. So the big time sellers I take it do this as a full time job? It does make sense to spend thousands of dollars on Lego sets during sales to increase your inventory and sales. So do most of the members on here buy to collect and build, or do most members buy to trade and resell?
"I find your lack of Lego disturbing."
SDIronClaw

Postby BrickSith206 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:19 pm

Nannan wrote:
BrickUpdate wrote:$30,000 spent on LEGO in one trip? $9,000 worth of LEGO spent in one trip? Are you people dealers on BrickLink, or do you keep all of these pieces/sets? I'm not complaining at all, I'm really just curious.

Although I am a reseller on Bricklink, the Lego you saw in that picture are for charity. My store's inventory is nowhere near that much. I'm as curious as you are to hear what it's like to be a a big-time seller.

I know :) I think you did very well for your charity.

I could probably do a Q&A or interview if you guys are truly interested in knowing what it's like being a large independent LEGO dealer.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby zithy » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:28 pm

It's always so much easier knowing that when you purchase online, there's no wasted trip to the store, no gas, no finding out the item isn't on the shelves, etc. I think I'm just addicted to hearing the UPS truck stopping at my house . . .
zithy

Postby Nannan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:03 am

BrickSith206 wrote:
Nannan wrote:
I could probably do a Q&A or interview if you guys are truly interested in knowing what it's like being a large independent LEGO dealer.

I might just take you up on that offer. I've been thinking about a post on The Brothers Brick on this subject. Ideally I'd like to ask the same questions to a panel of about 3 large scale resellers for a broader perspective. I'll scout around on Bricklink to see who else might be interested.
Nannan

Postby sidersdd » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:11 am

Nannan wrote:
BrickSith206 wrote:
Nannan wrote:

I might just take you up on that offer. I've been thinking about a post on The Brothers Brick on this subject. Ideally I'd like to ask the same questions to a panel of about 3 large scale resellers for a broader perspective. I'll scout around on Bricklink to see who else might be interested.

Excellent idea. I'd be very interested in hearing the perspectives.
sidersdd

Postby that guy » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:20 am

On the more humorous side of things, Lego just added this gem of knowledge on the Sales/Deals page at the top

"Sale products may also be available in a LEGO® Store near you. Find a store now!"
that guy

PreviousNext

Return to Finds/Deals