Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MASSIVE S@H sale

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: MASSIVE S@H sale

Postby onions » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:26 pm

complaining about missing a sale is like complaining about not having your lottery numbers picked for the state lottery: completely pointless. even you yourself said that finding that item on sale you felt like you won the powerball. i can understand the disappointment in missing out, but to get butt hurt enough to write a letter of complaint? come on, man, there are more important things to worry about on christmas day. be thankful you have a family, a job, and gifts under the tree. things could be worse.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Mos_Eisley » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:30 pm

Most people regularly miss out on these sale items. They probably don't have hundreds of the goods sets left when these sales happen. I don't doubt that they at least had a few of each set left when the sale started (and I wasn't around when it started so I didn't get any either). Like a lot of things in life, getting in on deals like this requires a great deal of luck since you have to be in the right place at the right time or other means like the software mentioned earlier. I would say that it is a perfect time to start a sale for the exact reason you mentioned - most people aren't looking to buy stuff on their site at that time. What better way to get some sales? Also, the retail stores and the online site are different entities. Just because they have something in stock in a store doesn't mean it's still available online or vice-versa. I'm sure retailers just laugh off these threats of strikes against their products because some people missed out on a sale price, especially when the threat is that you're going to continue to buy the product, but only when the item is discounted by other retailers.
Mos_Eisley

Postby Mofo Jones » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:54 pm

onions wrote:complaining about missing a sale is like complaining about not having your lottery numbers picked for the state lottery: completely pointless. even you yourself said that finding that item on sale you felt like you won the powerball. i can understand the disappointment in missing out, but to get butt hurt enough to write a letter of complaint? come on, man, there are more important things to worry about on christmas day. be thankful you have a family, a job, and gifts under the tree. things could be worse.

+1

I don't even have a job right now. I bought something at the sale, but only because I had VIP reward money to spend. Still, I'd rather be in the position of being employed and missing out on a sale. :roll:
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby UOldPirate » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:05 pm

Mofo Jones wrote:
onions wrote:complaining about missing a sale is like complaining about not having your lottery numbers picked for the state lottery: completely pointless. even you yourself said that finding that item on sale you felt like you won the powerball. i can understand the disappointment in missing out, but to get butt hurt enough to write a letter of complaint? come on, man, there are more important things to worry about on christmas day. be thankful you have a family, a job, and gifts under the tree. things could be worse.

+1

I don't even have a job right now. I bought something at the sale, but only because I had VIP reward money to spend. Still, I'd rather be in the position of being employed and missing out on a sale. :roll:

Call me warped, but I'd much rather be unemployed than miss out on a 50% off sale. :)

Seriously though, I would tell anyone who missed out on something from the sale to keep checking. Several of the items that sold out the first day have popped back up for sale. For example, the Fire Rescue, Technic Crane Truck and the Power Miners Rock Wrecker sets were all gone in the first few hours and they are back now. Not everything will come back, but you might get lucky.
UOldPirate

Postby Inzane » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:31 pm

Earl9371 - what purpose did you hope to serve with that letter??

BTW, as of right now it looks like the At-At and midi-ISD are back in stock.
Inzane

Postby sumwon75 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:21 pm

It's about every 6 months that I remember why I don't participate that much in online discussions, and, strangely, even less in certain Lego communities.

Why pile on someone who obviously is having a rough time with how this sale was handled? Should earl9371 have posted that letter to share... maybe not - but that was his choice, maybe now he wishes he didnt. I support much of earl9371's sentiments in that letter, mainly that this sale was not handled in a way would have hoped I could expect from Lego; that it certainly did not have families who are spending a holiday together, OFFLINE, in mind. No, it didn't cause me enough anger to write a letter, but what about earl9371's post caused you to decide he's so wrong or misguided to feel that way? And regardless of your OPINION of his reaction, what is gained by piling on or deriding him?? I'll go back to my lurking now, I really only visit this site for the deals (big thanks for that aspect!) - not as much for this type of nonsense...
sumwon75

Postby othertoe » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:53 pm

the at-at came back in stock again crap.
othertoe

Postby Inzane » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:49 pm

sumwon75 wrote:Why pile on someone who obviously is having a rough time with how this sale was handled ...

Sumwon, would you feel better if I used less punctuation? I really was legitimately baffled by earl's post and what he hoped to gain, or how he expects a big company like Lego to respond to a letter like that. Sorry if my "question" offended either of you.
Inzane

Postby J30spiff » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:53 pm

Inzane wrote:Earl9371 - what purpose did you hope to serve with that letter??

BTW, as of right now it looks like the At-At and midi-ISD are back in stock.

I contacted S@H in regards to the availability of the 10178 Motorized AT-AT. The gentleman helping me told me that he was seeing that there was a limited inventory and that I could place an order, which I did. He also said that there's a slight chance that their inventory is off and in that case, my order will be canceled. If it's in stock, my order will ship tomorrow. Keeping my fingers crossed and anxiously waiting for the email that my order shipped. This is the set that I had been hunting for during the holidays and this will be the icing on the cake as I purchased way too much Lego then I should have to close the year.
J30spiff

Postby that guy » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:08 pm

Well here's the thing, Lego is damned if they do, damned if they don't (as are many companies in similar situations). Many of the items that end up on the sale page are obviously ones that are on the way out or have been discontinued and then some were found so they need to get rid of them, and there will never be a good time to do that. What if you work days, or nights, or take care of your kids, or are in the hospital? Point is they can't decide when the best time is for everyone. Is it fair for the East Coast if they start an online sale at 9pm PST? What about Hawaii? You get my point, too many variables for them to worry about, or in their minds care about or else nothing would ever get sold. They used to have a Wednesday morning program where anyone could call the 1-800 number at 8am EST and they would dump off onesie/twosies or even cases of the same kinds of discontinued items for ridiculous prices. But guess what, too many people bith and moaned that "it wasn't fair" because they couldn't call that early, or Wednesday was a bad day for them, or the sun was in their eyes, or some this or that, and so Lego decided earlier this year to get rid of that program and go strictly to the sales/deals page for those items, but it's still as unpredictable as ever. As a result you now have a similar situation occurring because it's NEVER going to be the right time for everyone, it never will be but that's life. Now, maybe I would argue that like with the Falcon's in May, and countless other items, they could've put limits to prevent massive looting on the high dollar items(although that would be counter productive to dumping old stock in a hurry), or maybe they should have a system that removes out of stock items faster from the page (that seems all too obvious to me and probably would've prevented all this heartache), but that's a different argument than saying they picked the wrong day or time to have a sale. Besides, they weren't and aren't the only retailer taking massive stabs at peoples money right now, and there's plenty of those sales that were missed by people who were taking advantage of this one. Heck, I just missed out $50 Endor sets, $16 midi destroyers and $16 fire helicopters at Walmart because I was buying a couple of each at the Lego store for $20 and didn't even get an Endor set because by the time I got to Walmart they were gone, but that's life and I move on. This whole argument is as unsolvable as the soccer mom who cusses me out when I buy the last two of a set at a store and suddenly I am singularly responsible for ruining her kids Christmas (who hasn't been that person with one product or another??). Bottom line, I can see the guys point of view and don't fault him for expressing it (right or wrong in someone's eyes), but writing a letter of any kind like that should be with the intent of having a goal or remedy in mind that you plan of following through with. What's frustrating to me (as a previous customer service rep myself) is when people swear you off (whether for a period of time of forever) and don't see whether any action was taken to prevent future issues, and that's what often cause no action to be taken at all in the first place. Why bother if that person isn't going to buy your product anyway right??
that guy

Postby onions » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:30 pm

@sumwon75: if you're going to go to a forum and complain about something, you should expect to take some flak from people who disagree.

earl9371 has every right to feel the way he does, i'm not saying he doesn't. but going so far as to write a letter, in my opinion, is taking things a little too far. there's almost a sense of entitlement to his letter because he states that's he's been a loyal customer and whatever else the point of my post was to put things in perspective. so what, you missed a sale. really, what's the big deal? i missed the sale too, but i don't regret it cause i spent the time with my family opening presents and having a good time.

christmas should be about giving, not receiving.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby turc » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:37 am

At the end of the day, LEGO`s main worrie is about their shareholders. As many of you are aware, when comes a financial quarter end, year end, the executives makes these short terms, quick decisions to reduce their inventory or meet their sales target to ensure they meet whatever financial targets they have announced they would achieve. I think this is what happened here. Wouldn't be surprised if this was last minute decision from LEGO.

If in the process customers like me benefit from it, great!
turc

Postby Darth Kooku » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:50 am

I can feel with the guy. I have been shopping at my local grocery chain for many years. I not only shop there every week but sometimes daily, so I am a loyal customer. Last week I was walking down the soup isle and I saw the brand I wanted discounted by 65% but no soup on the shelf! I felt dejected, hurt, and angry! That empty shelf space with the discounted sticker was mocking me! How dare they discount this soup without telling me!...a loyal customer and my favorite soup to boot!

I quickly found a manager and explained my distress. He listened politely as I scolded him and explained that the other people who did find the soup on sale should feel embarassed if not ashamed of themsleves that not only I was not aware of the sale but the general public too. I also told him that I would expect a phone call or at the very least the store Greeter to tell me if there are any upcoming sales when I enter through the door. The Manager looked a bit dumbfounded but vaguely nodded his head and smiled awkwardly. I think he got my point.

Hey it ain't Kooku if it's real to you...
Darth Kooku

Postby that guy » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:48 am

S@H how now systematically begun removing a number of the items that are sold out on the sales/deals page. So far they've taken off 84 items over the past hour so maybe they'll get it down to only the 'available' items by the end of the day and end this 'mental anguish' that some people seem to be experiencing...

update: the sales pages is now reflecting ONLY available items, all is right with the world. :lol:
that guy

Postby Mofo Jones » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:44 pm

At last, our long national nightmare is over...
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby popnfresh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:23 pm

It seems ridiculous that anyone should think Lego Group should cater exclusively and specifically to them, how many loyal customers did get to purchase something that was on sale, a lot.

also, as of 2pm pst the 27th

the Disneyland store had

giant stacks of Home One
giant stacks of Venator
giant stacks of Pirate Tank
some UCS jedi fighter
some Fire Rescue
some City Farm
some Crane Truck <--- this one made the trip into that madhouse worth it (Disneyland itself had a flashing sign that tickets were sold out, I didnt even know that was possible :lol: )

those are the ones i remembered for sure in stock and on sale
popnfresh

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:42 pm

popnfresh wrote:It seems ridiculous that anyone should think Lego Group should cater exclusively and specifically to them, how many loyal customers did get to purchase something that was on sale, a lot.

also, as of 2pm pst the 27th

the Disneyland store had

giant stacks of Home One
giant stacks of Venator
giant stacks of Pirate Tank
some UCS jedi fighter
some Fire Rescue
some City Farm
some Crane Truck <--- this one made the trip into that madhouse worth it (Disneyland itself had a flashing sign that tickets were sold out, I didnt even know that was possible :lol: )

those are the ones i remembered for sure in stock and on sale

I was going to make a trip down there yesterday, but when I called them, the gentlman I spoke with was horribly rude. Every store I called was as busy as they probably were, but they were all very polite and helpful. I went to the Ontario Mills one to pick up my sets. :)
Gooker1

Postby popnfresh » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:52 pm

It was a madhouse, crammed with people, dirtier than ive ever seen it, workers running around like crazy, pieces all over the floor, stacks of unopened shipping boxes lining the walls to the ceiling.
popnfresh

Postby Gooker1 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:02 pm

The Ontario one was a freaking zoo too. The malls were a joke yesterday. Oh well, I have what I need though. :)
Gooker1

Postby Tahrbow » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:14 pm

DarthMC wrote:The sale is good at the LEGO stores as well (at least the VA one). Got the pirate tank and walking AT-AT at half off. If it was on the S@H list, it was on sale in the store. Of course call the store first to see if they are participating.

DarthMC

Looks like it's nationwide. The lady I spoke with from S@H told me that the LEGO stores are always in line with the S@H price, barring a localized sale/pricematch issue.

I just spent $520 at the Austin, TX LEGO store.

The place was a total zoo. One of the employees told me that yesterday was much worse, with a line that stretched out of the store several yards along the mall itself. I got there at opening and managed to grab the last Y-Wing they had and the last Creator Family Home, and then got sucked into Atlantis since they all have different medallions, and then one of them has a spring-loaded missile launcher, and then Prince of Persia has a set where you can poke the sword in and activate the lighted brick...

I saw tons of parents buying a massive amount of sets for both boys and girls. As someone who grew up loving these bricks, I was happy to see that parents still encourage LEGO for their kids. It was also nice to see Girls Represent. When I was a kid LEGO sets were a boy thing.

While I was there the Home One sold out, and then all the rest of the SW sets did except for the Midi-Star Destroyer and UCS Starfighter. They had Ferocious Creatures 5868 and Rotor Rescue 5866 on sale, which weren't on the S@H list, so I grabbed one of each.

Aside from the glee of my massive shopping spree, I'm pretty amped up that LEGO seems to be doing just fine with the kids.

Then again, it is a Star Wars license. ;)

I'm still bummed that I missed out on the motor AT-AT and the Venator at half price, but at least I found some other good deals.

I will build my two midi-SDs and they will safeguard my pretty pretty house, defending it from the giant crocodile.

OK, back again to all of you veterans, LEGO normally has two of these sales per year, correct?

One around now and one during the summer, is that right?

Are the markdowns this steep every time, or did LEGO go Flip Out And Kill People insane with this one?
Tahrbow

PreviousNext

Return to Finds/Deals