Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

MASSIVE S@H sale

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: MASSIVE S@H sale

Postby lady_bricker » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:02 am

thanks so much for the heads-up last night -- still quite a bit of stuff available then and what deals! thought i had no money left for lego but turns out i was wrong. ;)
lady_bricker

Postby Inzane » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:09 am

Is this the original thread from yesterday that was UK based? I saw it yesterday and was delighted that the Canadian S@H had the sales too. I grabbed a Home One and midi-ISD at 50% off. Thank you Fbtb members.

I'm just sad that I've apparently missed my chance at getting the Ferrari Truck set. :(
I'd been keeping an eye on it all month hoping for a sale and there was no clue it was near selling out prior to yesterday.
Inzane

Postby Tahrbow » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:28 am

In for a Home One. Holy crap, it looked like the entire second half of the list was Sold Out.

How likely is it (for you vets who've weathered S@H storms many a time) that we'll see restock on some of these sets before the sale winds down?
Tahrbow

Postby ILikePi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:13 am

Wow, those are some huge deals! I want to splash the cash on a Home One, but I already got a Hoth Wampa Cave, and want to save my remaining Christmas money for the series 3 minifigs. :)
ILikePi

Postby Inzane » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:19 am

Tahrbow wrote:How likely is it (for you vets who've weathered S@H storms many a time) that we'll see restock on some of these sets before the sale winds down?

Extremely unlikely. Especially the older items at the end of their lifestyle (and why I'm kinda freaking out about the Ferrari Truck).
Inzane

Postby that guy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:19 am

Tahrbow wrote:How likely is it (for you vets who've weathered S@H storms many a time) that we'll see restock on some of these sets before the sale winds down?

I can't speak to actual restocking (although it's rare for them to actually restock). Here's what most often than not happens and just makes it 'look' like they're restocking. It is possible and here's how it happens. Lego has a REALLLY crappy credit card verification policy. ANY order over $200 automatically goes into 'revue' which holds the order while they make sure it's really YOU who uses the card, while they are doing this, the system releases that quantity you were trying for into the pool for the next order that doesn't have to wait for verification. I have had this happen MANY times and actually have some limit releases on my account now so it doesn't occur anymore but that took a long time and a lot of calls before they would actually do it, AND every once in a while they still hold my orders and give the product to someone else. In any event, the most common problem is when they say they can't reach your bank, which is often because they call the wrong number. By the time they actually notify you, which can sometimes take a day or two any chance of getting your long discontinued product has gone the way of the dodo bird. I have talked to countless supervisors and every one of them has the same party line, "it is not Lego's policy to hold product if there are any issues regarding a customers credit card and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause". Bottom line is they don't care who gets the product, they just sell it as fast as they can to the path of least resistance.
that guy

Postby kojitator » Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:57 pm

<sigh> of sadness and a bit of relief for the wallet. Home One pulled out of my cart while adding other sets. Great sale!
kojitator

Postby d.boy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:10 pm

But these sales are also availlable at stores, right?
d.boy

Postby that guy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:30 pm

When I called the store yesterday I got a mixed answer. They said they would match the prices, but not for out of stock items (yeah that would be a lot of help >8( ). But who knows, they're usually pretty good about this stuff at store level but I'm not sure if there's an actual company position on this one.
that guy

Postby Gooker1 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:35 pm

Here's a code to save $5 off a $20 purchase from lego.com that someone posted off of Rebelscum: BR120
Gooker1

Postby pacific493 » Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:36 pm

Is this the end of the product life for Home One? It's been out a year and a half, and does not seem to have been a huge seller given all of the discounts offered on it over the past year and a half.
pacific493

Postby Bellicose » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:49 pm

Wow, that's quite a sale, and I completely missed the boat. Was hoping to pick up some sets for parts...and I'd have paid 30 bucks for that city crane no problem...

Feel like a sucker knowing I paid full-price for a lot of those (like the Venator), but at 50% off they went FAST. Totally missed out on this sale!
Bellicose

Postby Mofo Jones » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:50 pm

@pacific493: I will bet they're still available at TRU for a while yet. I haven't been there in a few weeks, but there were The Twilight sets at a TRU over in Sacramento, and that set's been sold out from LEGO for many months.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby Boyfromvalley » Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Sadly for me this information came too late. I'm really blown that I missed out the chance to acquire an AT-AT and Home One; heck even another Echo Base would have been good.
Boyfromvalley

Postby othertoe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 8:55 pm

Don't worry I was on the sale 20min after it hit and the at-at and echo base were long gong by then
othertoe

Postby ricefields » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:32 pm

The walking AT AT was already sold out about a week ago, before the sale! Did they really have any left as part of the sale. Any fbtb member get one as part of the sale?
ricefields

Postby that guy » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:47 pm

ricefields wrote:The walking AT AT was already sold out about a week ago, before the sale! Did they really have any left as part of the sale. Any fbtb member get one as part of the sale?

Yes, as I said earlier, they really did have some but I concur with othertoe, they sold out very fast. Once they sold out, there was a short period where they were listed as sold out but then came back briefly as back ordered and then once again sold out for good. That all being said, I will be the first say "yeah I got screwed" if they come back on Monday and say, "oops, we didn't mean to say we had some of those, sorry about that".
that guy

Postby othertoe » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:57 pm

The At-At was had been back for a few days and I was just about to pick one up at regular price right before the sale but had to go to something and by the time I got back they were about 20 min. into the sale and it was gone :(
othertoe

Postby DarthMC » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:46 am

The sale is good at the LEGO stores as well (at least the VA one). Got the pirate tank and walking AT-AT at half off. If it was on the S@H list, it was on sale in the store. Of course call the store first to see if they are participating.

DarthMC
DarthMC

Postby earl9371 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:24 am

I just sent the following to Lego customer service:

My kids and I are huge fans of your product. I’ve shopped extensively at your online store for several years now as there’s no Lego store in our area, and I’ve always found your customer service to be the most helpful and nice I’ve ever encountered.

I’m not one to write letters like this, as I used to work in customer service myself and saw my fair share of over-the-top “how can you sleep at night” letters about minor missives. However, my extreme disappointment over a recent promotion on your website has led me to get in contact.

You’ve created a lot of ill will toward your operation in our house – and from what I’m reading online with a lot of fans around the country – with what we’ve come to call “The Christmas Eve Massacre” on your website. I’ve got your site bookmarked at my work, I check the sale page several times a day, I suffered through with the 27 items you had stuck on your page this summer for many months, etc.

I was absolutely floored when I opened the page last night to find the remnants of a sale than many of your fans truly believe never existed – and if it did exist it was executed in a way that, well, just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. If the items on your site truly existed at the sale price, then to dump 200 of them on your website on a night when most people are centered on their families is a disservice to the bread-and-butter fans who (used) to frequent and buy from your operation.

Sure, I should have bought the Taj Mahal earlier. I’m mad that I didn’t, and whenever I see that price on your site and it listed as sold out I get a little kick in my gut. But when I call 15 of your brand stores this morning and they tell me they haven’t seen them in months, then I start to doubt the validity of your sale.

Several months ago, I heard rumblings that a large big-box retailer was selling a piece that had been retired a year ago. I called your customer service to see if they knew if it was being reintroduced, and they said 10 of the pieces had just been uncovered in your warehouse and I could order one if I wanted. I felt like I’d won Powerball. I know these things can happen where you have a few available and they just turn up.

But – so many, at such a low price, with no heads-up, and on Christmas Eve? I’m having a hard time putting my finger on it, but it’s just disappointing. I saw a post on one fan website concerning this where someone said, “This is just painful to scroll through”. I agree, and there are many other core fans of your product out there who feel the same way.

So best of luck to you, Lego. Call it sour grapes if you will. In my view the proverbial shark has been jumped, and we’ll be leaving for awhile. Other retailers who don’t drop big sales with no notice on Christmas Eve – and then rub our collective noses in it by leaving sold out items on their page for who knows how long – will be where I’ll shop.
earl9371

PreviousNext

Return to Finds/Deals