Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Black Friday 2010

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: Black Friday 2010

Postby DarthMC » Mon Nov 22, 2010 5:31 pm

So would that mean if I wanted the USC Shuttle that I would get the %10 off for being over $149 then another minimum of %10 for the scratch off? If the discounts stack that is not a bad deal considering it is the only place to get that set so far.

DarthMC
DarthMC

Postby vynsane » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:12 pm

DarthMC wrote:So would that mean if I wanted the USC Shuttle that I would get the %10 off for being over $149 then another minimum of %10 for the scratch off?

I'm almost positive the 10% off $149 is for the online store only, and the scratch-off cards are in-store only.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby GrayMattR » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:37 pm

[quote=staff]Pathetic.

I stopped doing any Black Friday shopping three years ago because the deals are no better than an average sale price. Why get in line outside a store at 5:00 am just to get 30% off? Sure, it's the economy's fault but they're going to have to do better than 30% off to get people lining up.
GrayMattR

Postby Arkov » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:22 am

On the Kmart black friday paper right below the LEGO ad there's a buy 2 get 1 free on toy story 3 toys, this would probably include TS3 LEGO sets as well (since there's no fine print saying otherwise).
Arkov

Postby Mister Ed » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:27 am

You'd think so, but I have been burned before, lack of fine print notwithstanding, on similar offers on "all Star Wars toys". I'd almost be willing to bet that they DON'T intend to include LEGO. But I could be wrong. My previous experiences weren't at Kmart.
Mister Ed

Postby mkoesel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:33 am

MisterFubar wrote:Anyone else get the "Brick Friday" postcard in the mail today?

Then it mentions the 10%, 20% or 50% scratcher cards in the Stores and a big ol' block of lawyer speak.

Interesting. I didn't receive one. Did any of the legalese happen to cover the chances of receiving a 20% (or 50% for that matter) voucher? Also was there a maximum purchase amount mentioned?

GrayMattR wrote:[quote=staff]Pathetic.

I stopped doing any Black Friday shopping three years ago because the deals are no better than an average sale price. Why get in line outside a store at 5:00 am just to get 30% off? Sure, it's the economy's fault but they're going to have to do better than 30% off to get people lining up.

Well, as far as the Lego Store goes the big win is that you can get sets on sale that are not sold anywhere else, or at the very least are never or almost never found anywhere else on sale. Although, the fact that shop.lego.com will feature the 10% discount along with free shipping makes the value proposition here a bit less enticing. However, depending on how common the 20% voucher is it may still be worth the trip. In my case I have probably have about $2000 worth of Lego exclusives or hard-to-finds still on my wishlist for this year. It would be great to save $400 on that instead of just $200.

As for waiting in line, that's what I love about the local Midwest chain we have called Meijer. It's open 24/7 so you can actually just go into the store and start shopping whenever you want. As long as you wait for the sale prices to take effect before checking out, you're good. Also, this store as well as K-Mart are discounting Star Wars which is rare during other BOGO50 or BTGOF sales that Toys R Us or some others typically have throughout the year. These stores don't necessarily carry the full Lego line, but they do carry some of the larger sets like for example the Turbo Tank at Meijer.
mkoesel

Postby vincecult » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:24 am

from what i was told by a friend who works at the lego store is that last year they got 500 discount cards. 5 were for 50%. 100 were for 20%. so you have a 1% chance of 50, a 20% chance at 20. otherwise you get 10%. also this year, lego universe is 50% off on black friday
vincecult

Postby kelano28 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:51 am

The Lego Store by me (Bridgewater, NJ) is very specific with instructions regarding the scratch-offs, so I figured I'd share them here..

1. You pick up what you want to buy
2. They make sure you actually want to buy all of it, and ring you up for your purchase
3. Then they take a scratch-off and inform you of your savings

So as far as putting stuff away after you see a 10 spot, doesn't really work at my store. You grab what you want and hope for the best. I've gotten a couple 10's and a 20 so far in previous years.

Again this is just my experience but it should be a fairly universal policy between stores, or at least one would think.
kelano28

Postby mr_joshua » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:05 am

That policy seems messed up to me. Even if all stores DID enforce that 'rule', what would keep them from allowing you to return stuff you really didn't want/need?

On the topic of these deals, it's all seems lackluster. The last two or three years I have done the Lego 'hope and wish' thing and only ever seen the 10% discount. This went for anyone in the stores at the time I was there. It really felt like a lottery, which makes second guess my plans to head to the Glendale store Friday.

Maybe I'll see some of you there...that might make the trip more worth it.
mr_joshua

Postby mkoesel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:36 am

mr_joshua wrote:That policy seems messed up to me. Even if all stores DID enforce that 'rule', what would keep them from allowing you to return stuff you really didn't want/need?

Exactly my thoughts. Either you enforce the rule by allowing no returns on the discounted items, or you don't make the rule to begin with. And for that matter, how can they "make sure" you want to buy in the first place? That would be easy to circumvent by simply saying you forgot your wallet or by just handing them a credit card that is maxed out and when they ask for another you just say that's the only one you have.

On the topic of these deals, it's all seems lackluster. The last two or three years I have done the Lego 'hope and wish' thing and only ever seen the 10% discount. This went for anyone in the stores at the time I was there. It really felt like a lottery, which makes second guess my plans to head to the Glendale store Friday.

Thanks for recounting those experiences. I too am growing hesitant (at best) to endulge Lego in their little game here. With the 10% deal also available online, it seems only fair and expected that the chances of getting a 20% off voucher need to be publicized upfront. In fact I would be surprised to learn if Lego did not have a legal obligation to disclose the chance of winning since it feels more like a game or contest than a genuine sale. But even if they don't the whole situation still feels distinctly sketchy if they choose not to give us full disclosure on the chances of getting a particular discount percentage.
mkoesel

Postby lady_bricker » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:42 am

even if there were a lego employee on fbtb, the phrase "ripe for exploitation" might not attract a helpful response.
lady_bricker

Postby mkoesel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:59 am

lady_bricker wrote:even if there were a lego employee on fbtb, the phrase "ripe for exploitation" might not attract a helpful response.

Hi. Which Lego store might you work at then? ;)

I suppose it's possible that simply telling it like it is may deter folks from participating in the discussion. However, sometimes in order to get dialog moving, we really just need to lay everything on the table. If you think that the holes in the system will be kept secret by some sort of nebulous code of silence, I would suggest that's a wildly naive take on the situation.

If you do happen to work for Lego or have some association with the company, I would encourage you to request that they a) develop promotions that are accompanied by a sound set of enforcibly and unilaterally imposed rules and b) that they fully disclose all terms so that customers know what they are getting into.

I've received lots of great responses to my questions to this point. I expect that to continue with or without the participation of any representative from TLG. Thank you for your contributions.
mkoesel

Postby vman100 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:31 am

Zeus wrote:Is it possible to buy the set early and then go back the day of (Black Friday) to request the better price? I would really like to pick up the Troll Mountain Fortress but don't want to fight the crowd for it.

Do people do this?

My local Toys R Us has a sign out front saying no returns/exchanges will be allowed until after 1pm on Black Friday due to the expected crowds and craziness. So it seems like this would work at TRU. However, I have not seen anything like that at Target. But I picked up a Troll Fortress this past weekend anyway. My son wants it, and hopefully they will price match sometime that day. If not, he still wanted it (and I got 5% off for the redcard).
vman100

Postby onions » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:02 pm

mkoesel wrote:
lady_bricker wrote:even if there were a lego employee on fbtb, the phrase "ripe for exploitation" might not attract a helpful response.

Hi. Which Lego store might you work at then? ;)

I suppose it's possible that simply telling it like it is may deter folks from participating in the discussion. However, sometimes in order to get dialog moving, we really just need to lay everything on the table. If you think that the holes in the system will be kept secret by some sort of nebulous code of silence, I would suggest that's a wildly naive take on the situation.

If you do happen to work for Lego or have some association with the company, I would encourage you to request that they a) develop promotions that are accompanied by a sound set of enforcibly and unilaterally imposed rules and b) that they fully disclose all terms so that customers know what they are getting into.

I've received lots of great responses to my questions to this point. I expect that to continue with or without the participation of any representative from TLG. Thank you for your contributions.

the attitude dripping off this post rubs me the wrong way. i can't quite put my finger on it. i can't tell if your last statement is genuine or sarcastic. maybe i'm reading it wrong.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Mofo Jones » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:15 pm

mkoesel, here's a suggestion for you: Instead of trying to figure out a way to quasi-quasi-quasi-legally* weasel a bigger discount out of your local LEGO store, why don't you just go down there on Friday, take the amount of money that you are willing to or can afford to spend, pick out what you want, get in line, take whatever discount they offer, and then, if you happen to be a lucky person who gets a 50% discount, ask very nicely if you could pick up another couple of sets.

Have those sets in mind, don't step out of line or anything, just ask nicely. Example: "I'd really love to add a UCS Imperial Shuttle and a Tower Bridge to my order, may I do that?" That puts the ball in the LEGO store's court as to say no or not. They're still going to make money, so I can't see why they wouldn't let you get a few more sets. Going in with the attitude that they need to tell everybody how many of each % level of discount is pointless. I mean, you get one shot unless you're willing to stand in line again. You'll get at least 10% off. Call it "luck of the draw", enjoy the discount on what you get, move on with your life. :)

*not a typo.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby lady_bricker » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:19 pm

mm, i read it as sarcastic. ;)

i'm all for maximizing sales, clearances, coupons, etc., to get the most lego for my dollar, but the phrase "ripe for exploitation", the idea of hanging around waiting to bribe a 50%-off winner to buy my lego for me, and etc., are too mercenary for my tastes.

i'm not a lego employee. if i were, i would have an awesome company discount, i assume, and wouldn't need to troll fbtb for deals! :D
lady_bricker

Postby vman100 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:28 pm

vman100 wrote:
Zeus wrote:Is it possible to buy the set early and then go back the day of (Black Friday) to request the better price? I would really like to pick up the Troll Mountain Fortress but don't want to fight the crowd for it.

Do people do this?

My local Toys R Us has a sign out front saying no returns/exchanges will be allowed until after 1pm on Black Friday due to the expected crowds and craziness. So it seems like this would work at TRU. However, I have not seen anything like that at Target. But I picked up a Troll Fortress this past weekend anyway. My son wants it, and hopefully they will price match sometime that day. If not, he still wanted it (and I got 5% off for the redcard).

Just saw on another forum several people say their Targets are adopting a policy of price matching all but the Door Buster sales on BF - which would exclude Troll Mountain Fortress as it is a door buster. Probably doesn't hurt to try though! I mean, can they stop you from returning it and then asking to buy it again?
vman100

Postby mkoesel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:49 pm

No sarcasm was intended. Nevertheless I do respect your initial impressions of my post.

She raises a good point - a heaping does of tact can sometimes go a long way. That said, the sooner the facts are out in the open, the better for everyone. When I said the promotion sounded ripe for exploitation I did so to underscore my skepism that the system could have ever successfully operated in past years in the way I had understood it up that point. And said that not least because I for one would have taken full advantage, yes, and I am sure others would do or would have done the same.

The distinct bar codes (and now, the black dots) on the collectible minifigures are another example of a system that is ripe for exploitation. Maybe no one has described it that way, but that doesn't make it any less the case. We could have tip toed around that fact, but instead the clear message sent by the community is that taking advantage of these packaging distinctions is acceptable despite the fact that they were almost surely never intended to be used that way. People found out how to beat the system by talking about it, not by biting their tongues.
mkoesel

Postby mkoesel » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:00 pm

lady_bricker wrote:i'm all for maximizing sales, clearances, coupons, etc., to get the most lego for my dollar, but the phrase "ripe for exploitation", the idea of hanging around waiting to bribe a 50%-off winner to buy my lego for me, and etc., are too mercenary for my tastes.

That's a perfectly reasonable position.

And, if you were in the store and the 50% winner happened to mention their good forture in passing and then offered to share it with you, you would immediatly refuse the idea without so much as second thought. After all, while it is true that in this case you'd escape this proverbial mercenary label for which you've acquired a distinct distate, you'd nevertheless be taking advantage of a system that as it turns out was ripe for exploitation.

True, yes?
mkoesel

Postby onions » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:18 pm

there's a huge difference between the scenario you propsed for yourself:

mkoesel wrote:I would be very tempted to hang around in the store and wait for a lucky 50% winner to be found and then offer to pay them $100 in exchange for checking my purchases out with their discount.

and what you proposed to lady_bricker:

mkoesel wrote:And, if you were in the store and the 50% winner happened to mention their good forture in passing and then offered to share it with you,

don't try and twist things around to bring everyone down to your level. if you want to be that guy who has nothing better to do than to hang around a hot crowded busy cash register on a black friday waiting to pounce on a 50% scratcher winner, then that's your prerogative. i wouldn't be surprised if LEGO asks you to leave for harassing customers if they see what you're trying to do.
onions
Damp Noodle

PreviousNext

Return to Finds/Deals