Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[USA] TRU BOGO 50% All LEGO In Stores (not SW)

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: [USA] TRU BOGO 50% All LEGO In Stores (not SW)

Postby slisa51 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:19 am

I'm know I saw that set, but I'm not positive which TRU it was. I've been to so many in the last few days trying to round up some older sets. They had so many agents sets in the bronx you would think it was a brand new series. The only one I bought was the Mobile Command Center.
slisa51

Postby Thundarr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:12 am

vynsane wrote:
slisa51 wrote:They also have most of the agents sets still except for the volcano base.

Do you know if they still have the Agents set 'Robo Attack'? I've unfortunately fallen in love with that set way too late and am on a wild hunt for it. I'm actually going to Long Island tonight and will probably be passing within a few clicks of that store.

vynsane:
You are a little late on the Robo Attack - I picked up a few of them last December on deep clearance at Walmart I think for only 12.50 each. Its an awesome set. They hung around my local TRUs for quite awhile (holiday overpriced at 69.99 then down to 59.99, still 10 above retail), even after going OOP at LEGO.com. Then suddenly all the stores were cleaned out. Was there a price increase on eBay recently? Either they were bought by some latecomers like yourself, clearanced and quickly snatched up, bought during a BOGO sale, or the LEGO reps took them back, I don't know. A couple TRUs around me still have a loose one in the plastic Agents display case. Do those displays get thrown in the dumpster eventually or sent back to LEGO? I've seen a few on eBay.
Thundarr

Postby Thundarr » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:02 am

To the TRU shopper in Utah: Do you really need that many City Farms? I hope your eBay sales will make you enough money to at least get a return on your gas money, since you probably drove to at least 4 different stores and cleaned them out. I'm being a little sarcastic here, but I do know these didn't all go to individual BOGOers because one store I called (who had over 20 on Monday and zero today) told me that one person bought them all. Well, enjoy your Farms (or sales), and thanks for sharing with others. :|
Thundarr

Postby vynsane » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:50 pm

Thundarr wrote:vynsane:
You are a little late on the Robo Attack

Maybe not, according to slisa51 - I'm definitely going to be calling around...

A couple TRUs around me still have a loose one in the plastic Agents display case. Do those displays get thrown in the dumpster eventually or sent back to LEGO?

HA, I asked about that last night when I went looking at my local TRU - the supervisor said they get that question all the time. Apparently they contract a company that designs, installs and dismantles the cases. That company takes them back when they reach end-of-life. What that company then does, I have no idea, but I want to get a job with them ;)

EDIT: I called, but no one in the Bronx area seems to have it. slisa - guess they sold out after you were there.

That said...

Thundarr wrote:[...]Robo Attack - I picked up a few of them last December on deep clearance at Walmart I think for only 12.50 each.

Do you have any of them left? ;)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby Prince Kahuka » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:06 pm

Thundarr wrote:To the TRU shopper in Utah: Do you really need that many City Farms? I hope your eBay sales will make you enough money to at least get a return on your gas money, since you probably drove to at least 4 different stores and cleaned them out. I'm being a little sarcastic here, but I do know these didn't all go to individual BOGOers because one store I called (who had over 20 on Monday and zero today) told me that one person bought them all. Well, enjoy your Farms (or sales), and thanks for sharing with others. :|

I was actually at the Murray, UT TRU on Wednesday when someone bought all the Farm sets. There was a man and a woman and an older woman, and they had carts full of stuff, not just every Farm set and not just LEGO. I already bought the Farm set a while ago, which made seeing their cartfulls a little less hurtful, but it really soured the rest of my day to think that if I had gotten there a few minutes earlier I could have gotten another one for my nephew.
Prince Kahuka

Postby Thundarr » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:44 am

Yup, Murray TRU was the one I was referring to. I also called every other local store except Orem and they were all sold out too. However, as luck would have it I went to Sugar House anyway to pick up a few more other sets with this deal, and found one last Farm after all. In a way, its my fault that it was still there too. On Monday while browsing I had picked up a Farm set and had it in my cart, then in the next aisle over (still LEGO) I changed my mind and just left it in the wrong spot next to the SP Galactic Enforcer. It wasn't hidden at all, but apparantly nobody noticed it! I figured something out too. This BOGO50 deal works with the Farm at its original clearance price, so I think it can be paired with a $69.99 item to get the maximum discount. I know because my second item (Wind Turbine $59.99) was actually more expensive than the Farm's extra 25% off price of $52.xx, but that second item was the one that they took 50% off of (I was expecting the Farm to have the 50% off because it was essentially cheaper).
Thundarr

Postby Thundarr » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:56 am

EDIT: I called, but no one in the Bronx area seems to have it. slisa - guess they sold out after you were there.

That said...

Thundarr wrote:[...]Robo Attack - I picked up a few of them last December on deep clearance at Walmart I think for only 12.50 each.

Do you have any of them left? ;)[/quote]

I do still have the 2 sets I bought, but the pieces and minifigs are currently being used in some MOCs, so they're not for sale. Wish I could help you. If I spot one anywhere I'll let you know - I can just buy it and ship it at cost. Too bad about the displays. I wonder how some end up on eBay...hmmm... I've been curious about those giant minifigs found at some Walmarts too. I've seen a skier, astronaut, and race car driver - they are soooo cool, but probably not for sale.
Thundarr

Postby vynsane » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:17 am

Thundarr wrote:I do still have the 2 sets I bought, but the pieces and minifigs are currently being used in some MOCs, so they're not for sale. Wish I could help you. If I spot one anywhere I'll let you know - I can just buy it and ship it at cost.

I definitely appreciate the offer, thanks - most likely I'll have to resort to BrickLink, tho.

Too bad about the displays. I wonder how some end up on eBay...hmmm...

Probably one more revenue stream for the company that makes the displays in the first place ;)

vynsane

Postby ufjason » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:47 am

Thundarr wrote:To the TRU shopper in Utah: Do you really need that many City Farms? I hope your eBay sales will make you enough money to at least get a return on your gas money, since you probably drove to at least 4 different stores and cleaned them out. I'm being a little sarcastic here, but I do know these didn't all go to individual BOGOers because one store I called (who had over 20 on Monday and zero today) told me that one person bought them all. Well, enjoy your Farms (or sales), and thanks for sharing with others. :|

You snooze you lose :lol: .
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby solo606 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:48 am

I was hoping the new Cargo train would be in store, but it doesnt look like it is.
The TRU by my work still has the Agents Robo Attack (at least they did last week).
I was planning on going there at lunch and picking up two of them for the sale.
solo606

Postby zithy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:41 pm

I was able to find a few of the Farms, but what was interesting is that I asked the first employee if the BOGO added to the clearance price. He walkie-talkied someone and I heard that person answer "no, they don't stack." A few minutes later, another employee came up offering assistance and I asked him the same thing. He thought they did. I just put them in the cart with other sets and at the checkout they immediately came up on the register as the first for $52.48 and the next for $26.24 which after tax is $42.80, a price I can live with.

Point being, you don't always have to take the first answer as being the correct answer . . .
zithy

Postby ufjason » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:52 am

Forgot to post this but I went to a TRU that I'd called who found and held one Farm for me. I really wanted to get two's of any bogo set for max value. As I'm searching the store, I glance up and see a big Lego set which was something else. I start walking along the edge of the store and in the baby department, they had all kinds of stuff up top. They had that agents robot people are looking for, fire stations and at last, 11 more farms. They had to "check" them into floor inventory for me but I was a happy camper in the end as you can see below.

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r117/jasoninatlanta/lego/IMAG0039.jpg
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby onions » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:12 am

ufjason wrote:Forgot to post this but I went to a TRU that I'd called who found and held one Farm for me. I really wanted to get two's of any bogo set for max value. As I'm searching the store, I glance up and see a big Lego set which was something else. I start walking along the edge of the store and in the baby department, they had all kinds of stuff up top. They had that agents robot people are looking for, fire stations and at last, 11 more farms. They had to "check" them into floor inventory for me but I was a happy camper in the end as you can see below.

brag much? you've been warned about that before.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby indelible » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:36 am

ufjason wrote:Forgot to post this but I went to a TRU that I'd called who found and held one Farm for me. I really wanted to get two's of any bogo set for max value. As I'm searching the store, I glance up and see a big Lego set which was something else. I start walking along the edge of the store and in the baby department, they had all kinds of stuff up top. They had that agents robot people are looking for, fire stations and at last, 11 more farms. They had to "check" them into floor inventory for me but I was a happy camper in the end as you can see below.

you only got 12 farms? :lol:

:cool:
indelible

Postby zithy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:55 pm

Rookie! Pro's use 2 carts :p
zithy

Postby vynsane » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:23 pm

Why is the Farm set like the biggest thing? Is it just because it's on double sale? Or are there hot pieces in there available nowhere else?

vynsane

Postby zithy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Moo, mebbe?
zithy

Postby ufjason » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:39 pm

vynsane wrote:Why is the Farm set like the biggest thing? Is it just because it's on double sale? Or are there hot pieces in there available nowhere else?

It had already been marked down to 69.99 and tru had an additional 25% off all clearance. Add the bogo 50% and they were below 50% off of the original retail. I could be wrong but they're discontinued as well so it was a good time to pick them up.
ufjason

Postby vynsane » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:35 am

Right, I get that it was on clearance and multiple discount, but still - you're not saving money if you buy 20 of them... you're spending a LOT of money. Is it all on the speculation that there will be high demand on BrickLink later on? Highly unlikely, as it's on deep clearance, which tells me anyone who wanted one HAS one. Is it then merely for the pieces? Nothing but the cow jumps out at me as unique.

vynsane

Postby pharmjod » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:25 pm

if you can get any large lego set for more than 50% off then it is a very safe bet that you will be able to resell them later on, even if you just sell it at retail. you're still making a great profit. also, at that price point, it makes a great gift for the kids in your life or an angel tree present or any number of things. its a series that i think is probably underrated and will likely do well around the holidays. but, it could also languish. i'd have bought all of them too at that price (and i'd have only used one cart as well).
pharmjod

PreviousNext

Return to Finds/Deals