Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby stevenli » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:18 am

Marty wrote:Well...I don't know if this is any use to you, but I'm sending the 16 I ordered from Lego shop @ home back in the next few days, because I managed to get the complete set from a Target store. I wouldn't have ordered them in the first place if I had known Target was stocking them, and I certainly wouldn't have bought as many as I did if I hadn't have been shown the bar-code trick, nice one that. Anyway I have doubles, and I put them on the site, so if you need a figure drop me a line.

When you go back to Target, can you write down the DCPI # on the tag? It's in this format: xxx-xx-xxxx

Thanks!
stevenli
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:21 am

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby vynsane » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:41 am

MisterFubar wrote:It would be great if my local TRU would not let 1 person buy their entire shipment. Maybe I'll take them up on the offer to set a box aside for me, I just hate being "that guy"


Yeah, I kind of feel bad that I got as many as I did (26 in total) but at least I didn't clean them out.

atxdad wrote:I can confirm that two TRU in north Austin are selling figs at the increased price of $2.49; they were $1.99 last week.


WOW, that's BS. I guess since they're the only game in town that's had them widely available, they can do that and still make money. That will change if they show up in Walmart and Target (depending on their rules of purchasing - they might enforce 5/customer, too).

that guy wrote:I just got back from my local Lego store and the Store Manager (yes the head guy) was a complete jerk. He was yelling and snapping at people who were attempting to decipher the bar-codes and started telling people he was going to get a Sharpie and black out all the codes so people would stop doing it and if he didn't do it this time he was doing it whenever the next batch came in. When I brought up that fact that with the limit I didn't want repeats he said too bad and to stop doing it.


No, THAT'S BS! What a d-bag. Did it ever occur to him that the barcodes are there for LEGO collectors to use? What other reason would they serve? I would call the corporate office and complain - did you get his name? What store is that?

Marty wrote:Well...I don't know if this is any use to you, but I'm sending the 16 I ordered from Lego shop @ home back in the next few days[...]


How did you order 16 if there's a 5/customer limit at the LEGO S@H? Did you have three other people order 5 and 5 and 1?
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:57 am

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby slisa51 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:53 am

Hi Guys,
I'm sorry, I may be the idiot who caused TRU to implement a 2 pack limit. I went to my local TRU about 10 days ago and they had 2 full boxes of the minifigs and I bought them all. I then drove to 4 other TRU in my area and only 1 of them had the minifigs but they had 4 full boxes, 240 packs total and I bought all those. Even after buying all of them I only got 2 cheerleaders out of almost 350 packs, so I can imagine how hard it is to collect them all normally. I wonder if an equal amount of each figure is made or are some more rare.
slisa51
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:35 am

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby Mos_Eisley » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:08 am

atxdad wrote:I can confirm that two TRU in north Austin are selling figs at the increased price of $2.49; they were $1.99 last week.


vynsane wrote:WOW, that's BS. I guess since they're the only game in town that's had them widely available, they can do that and still make money. That will change if they show up in Walmart and Target (depending on their rules of purchasing - they might enforce 5/customer, too).


The price increase to $2.49 is not surprising at all. Almost every LEGO set TRU sells is above MSRP so this will not change back once/if these become available at other retailers. TRU routinely charges MSRP when they first get a new item and then they raise the price shortly after.



vynsane wrote:No, THAT'S BS! What a d-bag. Did it ever occur to him that the barcodes are there for LEGO collectors to use? What other reason would they serve? I would call the corporate office and complain - did you get his name? What store is that?


There is no way these barcodes were put on there to help collectors. I personally think it was a mistake to include the barcodes, but since it seems that every box has the exact same distribution of minifigures, I would say the barcodes were put on there so that the machine that puts the bags in the box gets the correct mix of figures.
Mos_Eisley
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby Mofo Jones » Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:34 am

stevenli wrote:
Marty wrote:Well...I don't know if this is any use to you, but I'm sending the 16 I ordered from Lego shop @ home back in the next few days, because I managed to get the complete set from a Target store. I wouldn't have ordered them in the first place if I had known Target was stocking them, and I certainly wouldn't have bought as many as I did if I hadn't have been shown the bar-code trick, nice one that. Anyway I have doubles, and I put them on the site, so if you need a figure drop me a line.

When you go back to Target, can you write down the DCPI # on the tag? It's in this format: xxx-xx-xxxx

Thanks!


Or just check your receipt.
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer
 
Posts: 782
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:56 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:19 am

Mos_Eisley wrote:There is no way these barcodes were put on there to help collectors. I personally think it was a mistake to include the barcodes, but since it seems that every box has the exact same distribution of minifigures, I would say the barcodes were put on there so that the machine that puts the bags in the box gets the correct mix of figures.


I totally agree. I think the barcodes were put there by LEGO to help them manage their stock, especially since LEGO wanted an equal mix of minifigs in every box.

I also think that LEGO underestimated (again) the perspicacity of AFOLs and never once thought that they would figure out the barcode system.
Daz Hoo
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:56 am
Location: Laval, Québec, Canada

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby vynsane » Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:51 am

slisa51 wrote:Hi Guys,
I'm sorry, I may be the idiot who caused TRU to implement a 2 pack limit. I went to my local TRU about 10 days ago and they had 2 full boxes of the minifigs and I bought them all. I then drove to 4 other TRU in my area and only 1 of them had the minifigs but they had 4 full boxes, 240 packs total and I bought all those. Even after buying all of them I only got 2 cheerleaders out of almost 350 packs, so I can imagine how hard it is to collect them all normally. I wonder if an equal amount of each figure is made or are some more rare.


I'm ever-increasingly glad I got mine while I could, reading crap like this, and I no longer feel bad for buying a mere 26 of them!

There is no way these barcodes were put on there to help collectors. I personally think it was a mistake to include the barcodes, but since it seems that every box has the exact same distribution of minifigures, I would say the barcodes were put on there so that the machine that puts the bags in the box gets the correct mix of figures.


I'm not buying it - the seam flap across the rear of the bag covers one quarter of the barcode - they would either have to create a machine that not only reads these non-standard barcodes, but physically lifts the seam flap (which I believe is then also sealed to the top seam, and remains so in the box at retail) or have a human being stand there and lift the flap of each one and zap it with a gun. Doesn't seem all that efficient to me. If they wanted an easy way to sort and pack, they would've assigned individual UPCs to each figure. As it stands there are varying reports of quantities of each figure packaged in a box of 60, so it doesn't seem like they're using any rigid kind of sorting method. Most likely each figure comes off a separate assembly line so they would shoot into the box (or be manually picked up and placed therein by a human worker) a few at a time. If they wanted to truly make it difficult to discern the contents of each pouch, they would've made a truly nondescript identification system that couldn't be figured out simply by using the Mark One Eyeball.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:57 am

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby mkoesel » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:05 am

slisa51 wrote:I'm sorry, I may be the idiot who caused TRU to implement a 2 pack limit.

...

Even after buying all of them I only got 2 cheerleaders out of almost 350 packs, so I can imagine how hard it is to collect them all normally. I wonder if an equal amount of each figure is made or are some more rare.


I thought it had already been confirmed by multiple sources that the distribution is the same for each box of 60? Two cheerleaders our of six boxes is extremely hard to believe. You story seems, well, a bit tough to accept; forgive me for saying so. In fact, I suppose one could even go as far as to suggest that your post was an attempt to cause others to get upset and or emotional. However, I would not personally go to that level, especially with no evidence. I'm just saying it seems a bit far fetched, that's all.

In any case, assuming things are actually as you say, are you certain you are not reading the barcodes wrong? I am assuming you have not actually openned them all, since the volume you purchased strongly suggests you'll be reselling them.
mkoesel
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:12 am

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:49 am

Well, I can confirm that the TRU in Clackamas, OR has also jacked the price to $2.50, keeps them at the customer service desk (not visible, I might add) so nobody will ever find them without asking, AND limits you to 2. I told them no thanks. Without the limit, I might have been tempted (as long as they let me compare barcodes), but I want a set, and if you add together the 25% price increase, and the logistical nightmare of trying to buy them only two at a time that far from home, and there was no WAY they were getting my business. I'd like to think that jacking the price alone would have been enough to lose them this customer, but I can't say for sure.

So unless these show up somewhere more convenient, I may miss out entirely.
Mister Ed
 
Posts: 1161
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby Daz Hoo » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:20 pm

vynsane wrote:I'm not buying it - the seam flap across the rear of the bag covers one quarter of the barcode - they would either have to create a machine that not only reads these non-standard barcodes, but physically lifts the seam flap (which I believe is then also sealed to the top seam, and remains so in the box at retail) or have a human being stand there and lift the flap of each one and zap it with a gun.


I'm sorry, but I think your assumption is wrong here. When I bought my packs at my local Wal Mart, the lady who had to scan my 14 bags had to manually zap the "good" barcodes because her countertop scanner kept reading the "minifig ID" barcode instead.

So, to me, it would seem that the "minifig ID" barcode is easely readable by a machine.
Daz Hoo
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:56 am
Location: Laval, Québec, Canada

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby stevenli » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:10 pm

Real bar code readers have no issue reading the side code. The visual ones like on iphone/android has difficulty. Our readers at work did just fine in a test run on the minifigs that we got.
stevenli
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:21 am

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby Mos_Eisley » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:22 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:
vynsane wrote:I'm not buying it - the seam flap across the rear of the bag covers one quarter of the barcode - they would either have to create a machine that not only reads these non-standard barcodes, but physically lifts the seam flap (which I believe is then also sealed to the top seam, and remains so in the box at retail) or have a human being stand there and lift the flap of each one and zap it with a gun.


I'm sorry, but I think your assumption is wrong here. When I bought my packs at my local Wal Mart, the lady who had to scan my 14 bags had to manually zap the "good" barcodes because her countertop scanner kept reading the "minifig ID" barcode instead.

So, to me, it would seem that the "minifig ID" barcode is easely readable by a machine.


Yes, that center flap barely covers any of the fig-unique barcode and that center flap is possibly the place where a machine would be holding the package anyway. Most boxes have the same assortment of figs and that is not by chance so it's the only logical reason these barcodes would be used. LEGO would in no way want to encourage people picking and choosing particular figs as it equals less sales from unique buyers and decreases the chances of kids or other people who don't know the codes from getting any of the popular figs. Sure, you can feel through the packages to get your figs without the codes, but it is definitely more time consuming than scanning with an iPhone or similar device.
Mos_Eisley
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby Mos_Eisley » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:33 pm

slisa51 wrote:Hi Guys,
I'm sorry, I may be the idiot who caused TRU to implement a 2 pack limit. I went to my local TRU about 10 days ago and they had 2 full boxes of the minifigs and I bought them all. I then drove to 4 other TRU in my area and only 1 of them had the minifigs but they had 4 full boxes, 240 packs total and I bought all those. Even after buying all of them I only got 2 cheerleaders out of almost 350 packs, so I can imagine how hard it is to collect them all normally. I wonder if an equal amount of each figure is made or are some more rare.


It sounds to me like you got the remains of boxes that were combined as product was sold. I see no reason why you would make up such a story. Those stores probably had several boxes to begin with but after a few days of "cherry picking", the remains were condensed into the boxes you found on the shelves. It has been found that pretty much every complete box of figs contains the exact same mix of figs. Some of the most popular figs are 3 per box - cheerleader, zombie, clown and wrestler. The robot is also pretty popular but I think there are 5 of those per box. What numbers of those I mentioned did you get? What part of the country are you in? I've heard there have been people who are buying the sealed boxes, taking out all the good figs, replacing them with divers, dummies, etc. and then returning them. I suppose this isn't too different from scanning in the store to begin with, but that could be what you bought.
Mos_Eisley
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby etcknight » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 pm

kayakermanmike wrote:Just found out, that if you live in the US, and TRU isn't cooperating with you to get a full box, or the display box when it's empty you have a new option. You can order LEGO Minifigures Series 1 Display Box from Entertainment Earth!

Why is it Lego Shop-At-Home or even the Lego Brand store, makes it sooo difficult to order a whole box from them, but so easy from an outside retailer? Guess I'll be checking my local Target, since local TRUs have been a "fail" in my search.
Image
etcknight
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:21 pm
Location: Sunny So Cal

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:23 pm

etcknight wrote:Why is it Lego Shop-At-Home or even the Lego Brand store, makes it sooo difficult to order a whole box from them, but so easy from an outside retailer? Guess I'll be checking my local Target, since local TRUs have been a "fail" in my search.


Well, the motto at Entertainment Earth is "keeping toys from kids since 1996." :) Thanks for the tip, Mike.
Hail Space!
Image
Draykov
 
Posts: 1777
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 pm
Location: Lone Star

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby Chris. » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:38 pm

slisa51 wrote:Hi Guys,
I'm sorry, I may be the idiot who caused TRU to implement a 2 pack limit. I went to my local TRU about 10 days ago and they had 2 full boxes of the minifigs and I bought them all. I then drove to 4 other TRU in my area and only 1 of them had the minifigs but they had 4 full boxes, 240 packs total and I bought all those. Even after buying all of them I only got 2 cheerleaders out of almost 350 packs, so I can imagine how hard it is to collect them all normally. I wonder if an equal amount of each figure is made or are some more rare.

Holy moly! If I had that money, i'd use it on something good, like an X-Box.Well, I still can't find any in good ole' Georgia, so if anybody found some down here, tell me!
Chris.
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby solo606 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:05 pm

I am not sure if every box has the same figs in it.
the TRU I went too had put out the one box they got early in the day. I arrived in the afternoon and bought the remaining 48 packs and they let me keep the box. According to the TRU lady that checked me out, they only had one box of which I got 48 packs which included 3 cheerleaders.
solo606
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby vynsane » Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:10 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:I'm sorry, but I think your assumption is wrong here. When I bought my packs at my local Wal Mart, the lady who had to scan my 14 bags had to manually zap the "good" barcodes because her countertop scanner kept reading the "minifig ID" barcode instead.

So, to me, it would seem that the "minifig ID" barcode is easely readable by a machine.


Did it come up with an actual read, or was it just trying to scan it and giving an error? When I worked retail, there could sometimes be multiple barcodes on products, sometimes partially obscured ones - which would give the 'beep' but wouldn't actually return any data.

stevenli wrote:Real bar code readers have no issue reading the side code. The visual ones like on iphone/android has difficulty. Our readers at work did just fine in a test run on the minifigs that we got.


Did you have to move the seam flap to do so? Did it return any usable data or did it just give you gibberish? Apparently the iPhone app 'ZBar' on the 3GS returns the name of the figure inside the package.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:57 am

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby bigj22 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:04 pm

Just my 2 cents on the barcodes. I am certainly not rich, in fact don' t make much at my job, but what ever happened to the excitemnet of opening up a pack and hoping you get that minifig? I have read on a few post people trying to go and look at the barcodes to find the ones they need. Now I realize that makes a lot of sense but personaly I think it takes the total excitement away from collecting them. I guess I could see if you needed 1 or 2 I guess but at 1.99 each, thats really not that much to take a chance. I ended up buying a total of 21 packs to get my 16 and I know that was really lucky but it was fun. I take collecting very serious but when the excitement is gone, then its time to stop collecting. Certainly can understand but just thought I would puit in my 2 cents worth.
bigj22
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:06 am

Re: Collectible Minifigs Series 1 Now Available

Postby vynsane » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:08 pm

I fully understand your sentiment, and actually suggested the idea of a trading thread over at ToysNBricks, but the fact that LEGO made it so easy to discern what was inside the package made it too easy for me to take the lazy way out. I certainly won't be disappointed if Series 2 comes out without the barcodes, but that said - I'm glad they had them this time around. I've also never been one for 'the hunt' as much as 'the getting', so there's that, too. ;)
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane
 
Posts: 311
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:57 am

PreviousNext

Return to Finds/Deals

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests