Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Universe Pre-Order Details

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

LEGO Universe Pre-Order Details

Postby Staff » Thu May 13, 2010 12:20 pm

Is it pre-order or preorder? Anyways, when licensed news is slow, it is slow. Good thing there are plenty of other newsworthy items to report on, like LEGO Universe.

If you're not one of the eleventy billion people playing World of Warcraft and looking for something more kid friendly and less challenging, you can place your preorder for the LEGO MMO, LEGO Universe starting 12am local time Friday May 14. That's midnight Thursday. Me personally, I'd start checking the site at 9pm PST. With your preorder, you'll receive an exclusive minifigure made especially for the game, a code to unlock the same minifigure in game, and guaranteed game delivery to play on release date. This limited time offer is good in store and online with the exception of Australia/New Zealand & Asia/South Korea. More terms and conditions apply, check out the site for more details. Unfortunately, I don't have a pic of the minifigure, but there's a rendering of it on the Universe site at http://universe.lego.com/en-us/campaign/preorder.aspx.

LEGO Brand Retail

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/05/13/lego-universe-pre-order-details/
Staff

Re: LEGO Universe Pre-Order Details

Postby jomandybri » Thu May 13, 2010 6:04 pm

And yet again, I am excluded. Gahh!!! Anyone know if Beta testers get anything? (ie free/cheaper membership, unlock codes, etc?)
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

Postby MisterFubar » Thu May 13, 2010 6:15 pm

jomandybri wrote:And yet again, I am excluded. Gahh!!! Anyone know if Beta testers get anything? (ie free/cheaper membership, unlock codes, etc?)

This Beta tester probably won't be getting the game, but I don't think that answers your question.
MisterFubar

Postby combattank » Thu May 13, 2010 11:08 pm

The MSRP to buy the game is $39.99 with 30 days of gameplay included. What do you guys think the monthly fees will be? I would like to try to get a good estimate before I purchase it.
combattank

Postby PocasNuckie » Fri May 14, 2010 4:11 am

This pre-order process is in my opinnion going to be a major fail for LEGO.

No one is going to buy the game without knowing how much the subscriptions will cost. I happily put myself within that group.

Cheers
You know, Uncle Scrooge baths on his money, I bath on 1x1 Plates!
PocasNuckie

Postby Mister Ed » Fri May 14, 2010 5:20 am

$40, huh? I'll admit I have little to no experience in the area of these types of games, but I had been under the impression that games on a subscription model usually charged less than that for the initial software. I haven't paid more than $30 for a game in years, and those are games that I can play for free forever. Why anybody would spend that much on software that will be useless in a month without paying an undisclosed additional fee is beyond me.
Mister Ed

Postby Bruno » Fri May 14, 2010 5:51 am

So far, this is not a good deal at all. I have been testing the game for a while and can't say I am impressed, and neither are my kids. There is a few hours worth of gameplay there, but not enough for $40, plus monthly fees. I know they can make it bigger, but so far it is rather shallow.
I believe it would be much more worthwhile for LEGO to not charge any monthly fees, but instead use real money to buy in game items, vehicles, upgrades (to pets, characters, land), etc. This way, kids who otherwise could not afford to play will have a chance and only those who really enjoy the game and want more will spend money on it.

Besides, playing this kind of a game will likely whet your appetite for real LEGO, so it can be used as an advertisement platform to showcase their products. This way, people who don't care to play it often and would not pay continual fees would occasionally log in, see some LEGO they like and perhaps purchase it. They could even have an in-game store to purchase sets.

Imagine, you come to the market sector and you see a new building standing there, The Grand Emporium!!! You can even go inside to check it out. Next to it is a sign with specifications, price and an option to purchase. Your account is linked to your credit card, so a click will get the set to your door in a few days. I think this way, they would sell a lot more sets.

Anyway, that is what I would do if LEGO was my company...
Bruno

Postby vynsane » Fri May 14, 2010 6:30 am

Um... old... news?

As I keep saying - I don't know if I have the time or desire to play this game, but I REALLY want the minifigure for some reason.
ALL HAIL THE BLACTRON EMPIRE!

Flickr Photostream | Brickset reviews
vynsane

Postby cleverusername » Fri May 14, 2010 12:29 pm

vynsane wrote:As I keep saying - I don't know if I have the time or desire to play this game, but I REALLY want the minifigure for some reason.
Me too, but I just can't justify spending $40 for the figure. And it ships with the game and quantities are limited. So there is no way to know if you will even get the minifig.
cleverusername

Postby Solo » Fri May 14, 2010 2:16 pm

vynsane wrote:Um... old... news?

How is this old news? All we knew two weeks ago was the date, not the time the preorders would open, any pricing or availability info, or even a hint of the exclusive figure and promo code to use in game.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby vynsane » Sun May 16, 2010 2:52 pm

Solo wrote:How is this old news? All we knew two weeks ago was the date, not the time the preorders would open, any pricing or availability info, or even a hint of the exclusive figure and promo code to use in game.

The initial post above has nothing to do with pricing, just that it would be open at 12am on May 14, which is pretty much the same as saying it opens on May 14.

As for no hint of the exclusive figure - I was under the impression that it was pretty much universally expected to be the orange guy with the 'LEGO Universe' logo on his chest from the first time he was shown in promotional materials (he was in some of the materials that were packed-in with my S@H order in January, for instance) which made mention of both the exclusive minifigure and the 'special related in-game accessory', so that's not even CLOSE to news. Or, y'know, there's also this ad about LEGO Universe in the May 2010 LEGO Store Calendar that I uploaded mid-April that kinda spelled it out.

So I guess the minor clarification that 'beginning May 14' meant '12am local time May 14' (whatever 'local time' means...) and the fact that it wouldn't be available to western Pacific countries is new news. The rest? Pretty much qualifies as old news.

vynsane

Postby Solo » Mon May 17, 2010 12:09 am

The initial post was the official announcement from Lego, which is still news buddy. Did you want credit for posting the date first or something?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby vynsane » Mon May 17, 2010 6:28 am

I didn't say it wasn't news, just that it was old news ;) (ah, semantics...). LEGO seems to play fast-and-loose with their announcements, making official statements long after the contents of said statement have become almost common knowledge (at least among communities like this one). And, no, I'm not looking for any 'scoop' credit.

All that said, has anyone actually pre-ordered yet?

vynsane

Postby Solo » Mon May 17, 2010 10:40 am

That post of mine sounded much more joking last night, which is how I intended it, but less so on second look. Now it just seems rude. Sorry about that.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby vynsane » Mon May 17, 2010 11:22 am

Solo wrote:That post of mine sounded much more joking last night, which is how I intended it, but less so on second look. Now it just seems rude. Sorry about that.

That can happen, especially after a long day - no worries.

vynsane

Return to Finds/Deals