Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

New Magnet Packs Now Available

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

New Magnet Packs Now Available

Postby Staff » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:53 pm

Three new magnet sets are now available! For Star Wars, we have a set with Chancellor Palpatine, Nute Gunray, and Onaconda Farr and one with Han Solo, Paploo the Ewok and a Biker Scout!

Palpatine Magnet Set

Han Solo Magnet Set

Finally, making their debut in magnet sets are Woody, Buzz Lightyear and a little green Alien!
Toy Story Magnets

Also available from Toy Story are four new key chains:

Woody Keychain Buzz Keychain Jesse Keychain Alien Keychain

Stop by your local LEGO store to pick these up, or visit shop.lego.com.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/03/04/new-magnet-packs-now-available/
Staff

Re: New Magnet Packs Now Available

Postby Septemris » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:09 pm

This will help quell my desire to buy the toy story sets. My wallet has a happy. :)
© Bernard
Septemris

Postby KarolRabalski » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:10 pm

These are such awesomeness! I love the little stand for the ewok and alien, cause they so little! :D

Do you know if there will be Harry Potter keychains? For the last few LEGO video games, pre-releases have come with a key chain, and I don't think there's any Harry Potter ones currently.
----like spinning plates---------
KarolRabalski

Postby onions » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:16 pm

if there are they wouldnt be released until october at the earliest
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby etcknight » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:47 am

So, are these the same poor quality, China made Legos that we've come to hate?

Or, have to QC / Quality Control issues finally been fixed? I'd really like to purchase these if they're "real" Lego quality.
etcknight

Postby Andi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:20 am

Good question, etcknight. Was the first one which popped into my head as well when I read the announcement.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Crusader » Fri Mar 05, 2010 5:29 am

The word on the street is that the problem has been addressed. I'd still be suspicious of any older magnet sets, but these new ones are probably okay.
"He is a very shallow critic who cannot see an eternal rebel in the heart of a conservative." - G.K. Chesterton
Crusader

Postby fredjh » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:58 am

I don't like this "the problem has been addressed." It does not mean the same as "the problem has been fixed," and comes off as marketing-speak.

What the hell, I'll probably get some anyway.
fredjh

Postby etcknight » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:12 am

fredjh wrote:I don't like this "the problem has been addressed." It does not mean the same as "the problem has been fixed," and comes off as marketing-speak.

I agree - this sounds sort of like a marketing line. I was really disappointed when I saw that the mini-figs from the exclusive Imperial Flagship were the same sort of lower quality China-made mini-figs. Has anyone else noticed this? Besides the Toystory sets, are lower quality minifigs and parts filtering down into the retail sets? And, not just special magnet and minifig sets? "the problem has been addressed" just doesn't satisfy me. I'd like to think I can trust Lego quality and durability regardless of where it's made.
etcknight

Postby Andi » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:47 am

I bought that Han Solo magnet set today. It says made in China and Denmark. I will now open it and have a look

Edit:
On first view I can't see any differences, would be too cool :-)
I made a comparing.
(click = bigger sizes)
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:05 am

Andi wrote:On first view I can't see any differences

Did you move the arms all the way around? The mark is not visible at the angle they have in your picture. Also take off the head and see if the neck has printing on it.

Mine can certainly be recognized as a magnet, but I agree that there seems to be no difference in quality.

One interesting aspect that I had never noticed before: What is beneath Han's shirt? The magnet shows a flesh-coloured bare chest. The regular minifig appears to be tan (same as the arms), as if Han were wearing a grubby T-shirt underneath.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby etcknight » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:35 pm

Gingerbeard Man wrote:
Andi wrote:On first view I can't see any differences

Did you move the arms all the way around? The mark is not visible at the angle they have in your picture. Also take off the head and see if the neck has printing on it.

Mine can certainly be recognized as a magnet, but I agree that there seems to be no difference in quality.

Thanks for the clarification, Gingerbread Man. These were two points I was also curious about. For my part, I will still keep trying to get the original minifigs as much as possible. I like having the neck printing and lack of the "imprinting" on the inner arms. But, the minifig packs are starting to look like a good option for army building. :cool:

(Too bad Lego Co couldn't have taken care of this before with the Troll figure packs - but better late than never!)
etcknight

Return to Finds/Deals