Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Curious about rewards pts

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Curious about rewards pts

Postby zithy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:15 pm

Came across Bondrewards.com today. Never heard about it before, but googled a search and found a Time article about them so figure they're okay. Lego Shop at Home is listed for a 3% rate. Sure, 3% isn't all that much, but if you're going to buy something anyway . . . and especially this month with the free shipping deal, it seems a nice thing. Only problem is the risk that UPS uses your boxes to sit on during a lunch break.

So what are the best ways to maximize those little returns for Lego purchases? Bondrewards (3%) + a Rewards Program CC is one for buying from Shop@Home.

Bing.com(ranges, but currently low at 8%) + Ebay Bucks (2%) + Rewards Program CC is another for buying on Ebay.

Any option using a CC is with the thought of not carrying a balance, of course.

Amazon offers a CC with up to 6pts per $1 spent during the first 3 months. That can really add up fast toward a vacation round trip airline ticket, and free shipping and no sales tax! But you don't get any other reward (

The Lego store rewards program is nice, but its frustrating to save around 7% in the store once you get your $30 card, but then pay 9% sales tax where I live. Kind of sad when Amazon is cheaper and delivered right to my door.

I miss the Live.com discount when it was as high as 30%. Now that it's Bing, I've only seen it as high as 15% and it's sitting around half that atm.

I never used Big Crumbs, but are there any other options that you know of? Or any other recommendations on how to wind up paying less in the end for Lego?

Edited to add: I forgot about the Lego VIP Program, any details on what and when?
zithy

Re: Curious about rewards pts

Postby bluemoose » Sat Sep 05, 2009 3:24 am

zithy wrote: ... the Lego VIP Program, any details on what and when?

The details aren't finalised yet, but it should work both in the stores & through the website. As for when ... probably before Christmas, but TBD.

Ian
bluemoose

Postby drdavewatford » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:29 am

What's the Lego VIP Program ? Is it an extension of the current system where you collect stamps at the Lego stores ?

Dr. D.
Love Lego ? Visit my blog at http://www.gimmelego.blogspot.com
drdavewatford

Postby Puddleglum » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:27 am

zithy wrote:The Lego store rewards program is nice, but its frustrating to save around 7% in the store once you get your $30 card, but then pay 9% sales tax where I live. Kind of sad when Amazon is cheaper and delivered right to my door.

I don't know what state you live in, but just about all states require you to pay taxes on online purchases, if taxes were not collected by the vendor. (Normally, taxes are only collected by the vendor if they have a retail presence in your state) So, the only reason Amazon is cheaper is that you are probably dodging taxes. Either way, this little loophole is almost certainly in it's twilight.

In other news: 9%, ouch!! :(
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby BrickSith206 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:29 pm

WA = 9.5%, sadly the second highest in the nation.

Online shopping and Re-seller's Certificate (no need to pay tax twice) FTW.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby bluemoose » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:46 pm

More a "complete replacement of" the current loyalty system. The two will probably run side-by-side for a while. Details will probably be announced in the next month or two.

drdavewatford wrote:What's the Lego VIP Program ? Is it an extension of the current system where you collect stamps at the Lego stores ?

Dr. D.
bluemoose

Postby drdavewatford » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:04 am

Thanks, bluemoose

I'm delighted to hear this, actually - during last year's online AFOL feedback collection, one of my biggest asks was for a reward scheme for online purchases similar to the in-store scheme. The lack of reward points with online purchases is a big disincentive for me to shop online. As an example, I bought the UCS Millenium Falcon in the Milton Keynes Lego store during a "double reward points" week and got enough loyalty stamps for a free Market Street and more !

Roll on theonline reward !

Dr. D.
Love Lego ? Visit my blog at http://www.gimmelego.blogspot.com
drdavewatford

Postby bluemoose » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:14 am

drdavewatford wrote:Roll on theonline reward !

I think they are planning to introduce it in stages; the online aspects probably won't be included initially, but will probably be rolled-out after it's been running in-store for a few months. It's still a 'work in progress', so things might change.

It does sound like a better system, but we'll have to wait and see how it works in practice.

Ian
bluemoose

Return to Finds/Deals