Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[US] Target Stores 10% on New Star Wars

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: [US] Target Stores 10% on New Star Wars

Postby fredjh » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:10 pm

BrickSith206 wrote:A ratio is a statement of how two numbers compare. It is a comparison of the size of one number to the size of another number. It's a very basic mathematical formula used in this situation to levy the price of a certain set, over the quantity of pieces in said set, giving you a base cost per piece. Therefore, making it not a rough number, but a valid calculation based on the information readily available to everyone.

Thanks for the math lesson, Einstein. It's a rough estimate of the VALUE of the set, although I never suspected I'd have to spell that out to a math genius.
fredjh

Postby meeotch » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:43 pm

"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Seasian » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:03 pm

The price per parts ratio on Count Dooku's Solar Sailer is pretty ridiculous also.
Seasian

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:54 pm

Some people take the price to parts ratio way too seriously. It's a good guideline if you've never seen a picture of the set before. But seriously, using it to compare Blackbeard's pirate ship and taj mahal?
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby BrickSith206 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:25 pm

meeotch wrote:Image

Awesome pic...but no thanks, there is not much point in continuing to convey an idea that someone is just not going to understand, and at this point we're talking about two different things. First off, other than the actual COST, a set's VALUE is subjective. A set's price per part ratio is a mathematical equation that computes EVERY time. Price per part will never equal a set's VALUE, simply because VALUE is determined on an individual, emotional level. I personally, determine a set's value by what it means to me to have it. Not what the set costs, not what the individual parts cost, or what they would cost if you applied the cost/piece count ratio. In any case, this great spirit will be moving forward and ignoring the mediocre mind(s). ;)

To ThinkingImpaired: There was no comparison between the Taj Mahal and Blackbeard's Bounty. I was simply citing some examples (I believe I even used that EXACT word: examples) where some sets did not meet the agreed upon and legally binding OMG-magical-every-piece-in-every-set-costs-exactly-10 cents ratio.

Clearly, that last sentence was a joke. :p

P.S. Meeotch, all of those smilies are for you.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby meeotch » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:43 pm

BrickSith206 wrote:P.S. Meeotch, all of those smilies are for you.

meeotch

Postby Mandalorian Candidat » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:27 am

I was pretty pumped to get the pirate tank for 10% off then was bummed to find it wasn't part of the sale. I had a b'day gift card from the fam, which made the price still bearable. This kind of sale seems to be pretty typical of Target. They had one several months back with everything 10% off but with the Hyena Droid at $14.99.

I'm seriously thinking about getting the Endor set and trying to open up a Target card account for an extra 10% off.

Sometimes, local WMs will adjust their prices temporarily during a competitor's sale. I'd check them out too just in case.
Mandalorian Candidat

Postby BrickSith206 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:06 am

Mandalorian Candidat wrote:I was pretty pumped to get the pirate tank for 10% off then was bummed to find it wasn't part of the sale. I had a b'day gift card from the fam, which made the price still bearable. This kind of sale seems to be pretty typical of Target. They had one several months back with everything 10% off but with the Hyena Droid at $14.99.

I'm seriously thinking about getting the Endor set and trying to open up a Target card account for an extra 10% off.

Sometimes, local WMs will adjust their prices temporarily during a competitor's sale. I'd check them out too just in case.

Take the competitors coupon to the register when you check out and Walmart will match it.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby meeotch » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:58 am

I can't speak for Wal-Mart, but I know that Target also just started price matching competitors ads. It has to be a print ad and doesn't apply to online prices, but basically it sounds like if either Wal-Mart or Target is having a sale, the other will honor it if you bring in the ad.
meeotch

Postby the_sim » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:06 am

BrickSith206 wrote:
Mandalorian Candidat wrote:I was pretty pumped to get the pirate tank for 10% off then was bummed to find it wasn't part of the sale. I had a b'day gift card from the fam, which made the price still bearable. This kind of sale seems to be pretty typical of Target. They had one several months back with everything 10% off but with the Hyena Droid at $14.99.

Take the competitors coupon to the register when you check out and Walmart will match it.
Walmart only matches $$ off amounts, not % amounts.
the_sim

Postby Mandalorian Candidat » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:28 am

meeotch wrote:I can't speak for Wal-Mart, but I know that Target also just started price matching competitors ads. It has to be a print ad and doesn't apply to online prices, but basically it sounds like if either Wal-Mart or Target is having a sale, the other will honor it if you bring in the ad.

I remember when Target used to ad match, but that was a long time ago. I didn't think they started doing it again.

I also noted that the battle packs didn't ring up at the discounted price.

Has anyone bought something they otherwise wouldn't have but did because of the sale?
Mandalorian Candidat

Postby BrickSith206 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:44 am

the_sim wrote:
BrickSith206 wrote:

Walmart only matches $$ off amounts, not % amounts.

Meh, that's just one of their roadblocks they try to divert you with. Ask to see it in writing. 20% off a $100 item is still $20 off whether you want to quantify it in a percentage or as a dollar amount. I've been rebuffed a few times by the check-out people (new employees), one even claimed that Walmart did not price match. Her manager clarified that for her and then thanked me for shopping there. The only thing they do not do is match online ads, and their own online prices.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby Prince Kahuka » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:38 pm

It's actually standard practice for every store I know of that price matches that they won't match % off sales. What they're trying to avoid is this type of situation: Say stores can buy an item for 75¢. Store A's standard price for the item is $2.00. They have a 50% off sale, sell the item for $1.00, and make 25¢ per item. Store B's standard price for the item is $1.00. If they were to match Store A's 50% off sale they would be selling the item at 50¢ and losing 25¢ on every sale. Not smart business. And no, they still won't give you the sale even if their prices are the same on an item. It's much cleaner for them to simply not honor any % off sales than to make exceptions depending on each other's price or even to sell it to you at the price you would have paid at the other store.
Prince Kahuka

Postby BrickSith206 » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am

Uda Quai wrote:It's actually standard practice for every store I know of that price matches that they won't match % off sales. What they're trying to avoid is this type of situation: Say stores can buy an item for 75¢. Store A's standard price for the item is $2.00. They have a 50% off sale, sell the item for $1.00, and make 25¢ per item. Store B's standard price for the item is $1.00. If they were to match Store A's 50% off sale they would be selling the item at 50¢ and losing 25¢ on every sale. Not smart business. And no, they still won't give you the sale even if their prices are the same on an item. It's much cleaner for them to simply not honor any % off sales than to make exceptions depending on each other's price or even to sell it to you at the price you would have paid at the other store.

You're right, a business would definitely lose money in that scenario. Which begs me to ask the question: If it was already half off someone else, why wouldn't you have bought it there already? I would kindly point out to the customer that I've already been matching the competitors price, and they would be silly to think I would take another 50% of my already "half off" price. I honestly do not think that is a real-world example, but I'll humor you.

In your scenario, I would have bought everything at store B's standard $1.00 price and laughed at all the people who paid store A's price of $2.00. After acquiring all of Store B's inventory @ $1.00 each, I would then go to store A and say, you know, store B is selling these for half of what you are. If you match their price I will buy them here. If you're talking to a manager (who's bonuses are no doubt tied to sales, and they have any interest in turning their product) they will agree. NOTE: This tactic will only work if there are TONS of inventory on the shelves. If store A is routinely selling them @ $2.00, then the manager will see no need to sell them at half off when they are regularly getting "their"full price.

I've never been denied a percentage price match from a competitors sale. Just two days ago Walmart had no problem matching Target's 10% off Star Wars Lego. I have only been denied by Walmart and them not wanting to match their own online pricing. Sure, I have A LOT of professional negotiation experience, which definitely helps, of course a little charisma does not hurt either.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby Clyne » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:57 pm

fyi, if you're interested in taking advantage of the last few days of this, I recommend you call ahead first if you really want certain sets. I went to 2 stores this morning and both were out of Battle of Endor sets. 1 sold out of Republic Attack Shuttles (that's a bit random) and another was sold out of Separatist Shuttles. Both were offering rain checks on Endor, or a replacement item prices the same for the SPIII set that's $100 and has slizer & snake I think. The Shuttle was also offering a replacement, I think it was the IJ cemetary.

I ended up taking a rain check, but called some of the stores at the bottom who were showing inventory as of the previous 24hrs. The first place was also out, but the 2nd said they had one and agreed to hold for 24hrs for me. I got there a few hours later and found they still had 2 others left in addition to the one I bought.

Depending on your location ymmv, but just thought I'd throw my experience in there before some people go running around town.
Clyne

Postby Mezmaron » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:25 pm

Clyne wrote:fyi, if you're interested in taking advantage of the last few days of this, I recommend you call ahead first if you really want certain sets.

Yep. Issaquah,WA Target had no Endor sets, but did have the raincheck out. I bought twe Echo Base sets instead. Also, a few weeks ago Target sent out a $5 off purchases of $50. I used it to to get even more off, but had to throw in some household items to get to $50.

Mez
Mezmaron

Postby Coret » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:32 pm

Mezmaron wrote:
Clyne wrote:fyi, if you're interested in taking advantage of the last few days of this, I recommend you call ahead first if you really want certain sets.

Yep. Issaquah,WA Target had no Endor sets, but did have the raincheck out. I bought twe Echo Base sets instead. Also, a few weeks ago Target sent out a $5 off purchases of $50. I used it to to get even more off, but had to throw in some household items to get to $50.

Mez

Actually I was sent a $5 of any purchase of $25 or more. I was able to use it and get the Corporate Alliance Tank and the Clone Battle pack for $25 total.
Coret

Postby Mezmaron » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:57 pm

Coret wrote:
Mezmaron wrote:

Mez

Actually I was sent a $5 of any purchase of $25 or more. I was able to use it and get the Corporate Alliance Tank and the Clone Battle pack for $25 total.

I used the $25 one a while ago. I think that one also came with a bunch of toy coupons.... I like Target because they actually give you helpful coupons.
Mezmaron

Previous

Return to Finds/Deals