Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Unexpected finds?

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Unexpected finds?

Postby Dalek Caan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:13 am

Have you ever bought or found some LEGO, then got home and realised that is was better than you first thought? This happened to me last weekend - whilst browsing through the multitude of charity shops in my area (which really are the only shops still open in my area) I came a cross a large box of assorted LEGO. Appaarently it belonged to some kid who had grown out of it. The shop was asking for £10, which I thought was quite good considering the size of the box.

Once I had got it home, and had begun sorting through the mass of bricks, I found some real gems. Star Wars Ep.2 (Jango, Boba, etc...), Harry Potter troll (now have three) and loads of Forest Men!

So, what about you? Ever ordered something and been given lots of free extras? Bought a reduced damaged box and found that someone had added other parts (I wish)?

I appologise now if this is in the wrong forum/an exisring thread. I did search!
Dalek Caan

Re: Unexpected finds?

Postby SuperDave » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:00 pm

I picked up a large tub of Lego last year via Craigslist for about $80. In it I found a nearly complete original Fort Legoredo (missing perhaps $15 worth of parts, mostly minifig bits) along with some great Adventurers and early Star Wars items. The cheapest Fort Legoredo available in the US on Bricklink is around $110. I think I got my money's worth. :-)
SuperDave

Postby Iare Tosevite » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:16 pm

Yeah.

I bought a bunch of old lego box, it was decent deal...

But in closer look...

The Gears set ( 001 ) were VERY complete, including instructions and catalog!

The box also had a 49 Lego Extras with orginial box.

The rest were in mostly good condition, and it come with odd car...

When I looked closer on the odd car... It was Lego car! It's Ford Taunus and it were in like new condition, which is rare.

It was an amazing find for me.
Where, where, where is correct way out?
Iare Tosevite

Postby fredjh » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:01 am

Paid $10US for a US Postal Carrier box (it's an open topped white box meant for carrying letters) that was about half full.

When I got it home and started deducing what was in it, I found a UCS Batmobile (~$50 used/complete on Bricklink) and several complete bionicles, and a couple of not-so-complete bionicles that I spent about $5 to make complete. They were mostly the standard size bionicles, but one was one of the big ones (Takanuva, a $30 set... no used prices on Bricklink for comparison).

I wish I could find something like that at every garage sale.
fredjh

Postby Bertramtalespinner » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:57 am

Best ever? Duplo set 2730 from Value Village for like $12. It a battery powered train with track and a control tower. The box was kinda rough and it was wrapped in packing tape so I couldn't be sure how much of it was there till I bought it and got out to the van. WOW! Most of the set was there, and a crap load more, like almost 50 extra pieces of track. It got hidden away and was one of the best Christmas gifts for my kid that year. We've built some awesome layouts that actually circle the kitchen.

Next up is the bag I found a few weeks ago which seems to have most of a Bat Cave and other Batman stuff. I'm still trying to sort and build to see how complete it is. I'm looking at putting it up for sale here once I have, Mommy says we can't just add it to the one we have and make a enormous batcave.
Bertramtalespinner

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:39 pm

The lego piece lots on ebay are hit or miss. I've bought some before that had all complete sets and turned out to be steals, and have had some that didn't really have any complete sets and were just "eh".
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby Obi-Wan Skywalker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:39 am

It's not really a good find but I found a second set of tube pieces in combine harvester.
Quoting Firespray
There is no Ace, The Ace is a lie.

My flickr... http://www.flickr.com/photos/42848399@N03/
Obi-Wan Skywalker

Postby hatcher » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:12 pm

I bought a collection off ebay a couple of years ago. The guy was obviously a reseller as he had no idea what was in the lot, and just pulled a bunch of the more complete ships out of the box for the photos. I based my maximum bid on what I saw in the photos, assuming that was all that was there was. It had most of that years current sets that I hadn't picked up yet, (it was the new b-wing, new x-wing, new at-st, imperial landing craft year). Anyway, I won the lot at my maximum bid, TIED with another bidder. To this day, I'll never know why he didn't just up me by 50 cents, but whatever. When I got the box and started assembling the items inside, I found over another a dozen or so sets I was completely unaware of, all Star Wars, and most of the them 99 to 100% complete. Also a few extraneous mini-figs from other lines. I did the math and figured I paid less than 6 cents a piece for all it. I sold some of them to my brother in law so I ended up with some of my cash back. It was a truly great find.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby MrBrick » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:57 pm

When In spain I went to TRU, I got a second edition (2004) MF!

For 90 euro :D
MrBrick

Postby Mezmaron » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:20 pm

Yes. I live next to an Outlet Mall that used to have a Toy Liquidation store (KB Toys) until it want under a few years ago. Back when they were around I found about a dozen 7139 Ewok Attack on sale for $4.99, marked down from $17.99.

I should have bought them out. I only bought six. Stupid.

Anyway, at least I bought a few. I opened half, and just sold the last NIB one on Ebay a few weeks ago.

Mezmaron
Mezmaron

Return to Finds/Deals