Earn Double the VIP Points on everly shop.LEGO.com purchase!  Valid April 1-15, 2014.

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[US] Target Summer Clearance - Chicago Area - SW Lego Sets

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: [US] Target Summer Clearance - Chicago Area - SW Lego Sets

Postby meeotch » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:27 am

The clearance on those sould have been with the same batch as the others that may still be around, they just flew off the shelves. I had one guy come to my store looking for the Gunship because our inventory said we had 2, even though we had none. He said that it was the 4th Target he went to that morning. I think it was the Friday (or 2nd day) after they hit clearance, so I know that the word travelled fast.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby GIR3691 » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:14 pm

I went to both local targets after days of diversions and conflicting scheduling, and I seem to have missed all LEGO clearance in the tri-city area. :'(
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby popnfresh » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:40 pm

The Targets that I checked in socal didn' t even bother to restock the bigger items, Gunship/AT-TE, I just saw empty space on the shelves for a month before the clearancing started to hit.
popnfresh

Postby meeotch » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:57 pm

Of course they didn't restock them. It would be shooting themselves in the foot to try and restock an item they know they are about to clearance. The whole point of clearance is to "clear out" the old stuff to make room for the new.
meeotch

Postby Puddleglum » Thu Aug 06, 2009 6:43 pm

meeotch wrote:Of course they didn't restock them. It would be shooting themselves in the foot to try and restock an item they know they are about to clearance. The whole point of clearance is to "clear out" the old stuff to make room for the new.

OTOH a couple months of empty shelves is probably a couple months of missed sales. Remember, they're not likely losing money on clearance items until they go below 50% off. But I have a feeling they have probably figured out that often when parents come looking for a certain LEGO set for their kids, they are more likely to just get a different set, than leave empty-handed. I went to a few Targets in the Houston area the week before Christmas, and a couple of them literally had less than 10 LEGO sets TOTAL left on their shelves.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby ufjason » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:50 pm

Did some searching in their computer and finally found a store with stock. It was only at 50% but found a few halffire droids. Left the magnaguards and city construction sets. The 60 dollar crane for 30 was kinda cool but I'll take the risk to nab it at 75%.
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby meeotch » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:28 pm

Puddleglum wrote:OTOH a couple months of empty shelves is probably a couple months of missed sales. Remember, they're not likely losing money on clearance items until they go below 50% off. But I have a feeling they have probably figured out that often when parents come looking for a certain LEGO set for their kids, they are more likely to just get a different set, than leave empty-handed. I went to a few Targets in the Houston area the week before Christmas, and a couple of them literally had less than 10 LEGO sets TOTAL left on their shelves.

Oh, I definitely understand, but he said they were only out of those for a month. If you ask me, it sounds like they just barely underestimated their possible sales, then, but when it's that close to clearance time, they definitely won't be getting more. Part of the reason they wouldn't possibly be losing money until 50% clearance or more is because they order in huge bulk quantities to get that price break. They can't just order 5 here, 10 there from the Lego Company. It's on the order of thousands, and there's no way they can push units like that. Truth be told, they actually plan on some (not necessarily any in particular, just some) items in a soon-to-clearance row to run out, because then (if they're following "best practices") they fill up that empty shelf space with other soon-to-be-clearanced merchandise in an effort to push that out the doors before it gets marked down.
meeotch

Previous

Return to Finds/Deals