Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

How To Get A Chrome Stormtrooper For Cost

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: How To Get A Chrome Stormtrooper For Cost

Postby Wubbles » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:53 am

I just hope they will come to our local LEGO store.
CoC Rule #5: One account per person.
Creating multiple accounts, for any reason, is grounds for an immediate ban. If you have any problems logging into your account, contact the staff.
Wubbles

Postby bdc » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:13 am

Faxed my order yesterday afternoon when I saw the story on the front page and they called this morning to confirm price with shipping! I'll be at LEGOLAND on Saturday, but didn't want to risk them being out!

Here's still hoping they will have those new LEGO Star Wars sets for the weekend. I meant they are already selling them in Germany...
bdc

Postby gfxguy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:18 am

b4p wrote:i find all this amusing. I'm not really taking sides on this, i mean people can judge for themselves if it's worth it. I just kinna shake my head when people pay like $50 for the chrome vader even when they admit that it doesnt even look good (or as good as the normal one). at that point it starts to seem silly to me. the really annoying part is that it's made rare for no good reason; other than to torture you nerds, and you seem to love it. that part amuses me. i shouldnt throw around the N word :lol:

I agree... I'd never pay $50 for a Chrome Vader (plus shipping!!!), but they do seem to do it to torture us nerds.... but I don't love it.

In fact, one of the reasons I'm so adamant about getting once from Legoland (or S@H or my local store) is simply because I refuse to pay some jacked up price simply because someone happens to live in a more convenient location... $30 on BL? Not in a million years. Maybe I'm just not THAT much of a nerd.
gfxguy

Postby Solo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:21 am

Mister Ed wrote:So's my keychain, but I spent a lot less than $13 for that. (And the chrome makes more sense, too.) ;)
b4p wrote:the really annoying part is that it's made rare for no good reason; other than to torture you nerds, and you seem to love it. that part amuses me.

Here's how it works: you've got an established fan base of historically spendy nerds, an excuse to create an exclusive/limited edition of something they already have but shinier, and the power to set the price wherever you feel will balance between being stupidly profitable but low enough that enough will get excited about and jump at. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out whats going on here.

Now, like it's been said, personal opinions vary: you don't have to like to and you don't have to like the price. And it's pretty well established that you don't. We get it. But you're acting surprised by this? Seriously? Stop feigning ignorance just to pretend you're somehow better than those collectors willing to spend the extra cash on high value items that don't interest you.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby Swoosh Factor » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:50 am

gfxguy wrote:$30 on BL? Not in a million years. Maybe I'm just not THAT much of a nerd.

$30 isn't really unreasonable once you've factored in sales tax, BrickLink and Paypal fees. Considering nobody's gotten their hands on hundreds of these, the overall profit is significantly less than either of the other chrome figs. Also, BrickLink sellers would be charging $2-3 to ship via USPS versus $7 or more to send it via UPS.
Swoosh Factor

Postby Mister Ed » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:51 am

Solo wrote:Now, like it's been said, personal opinions vary: you don't have to like to and you don't have to like the price. And it's pretty well established that you don't. We get it. But you're acting surprised by this? Seriously? Stop feigning ignorance just to pretend you're somehow better than those collectors willing to spend the extra cash on high value items that don't interest you.

A few points, and I'll drop it entirely.

1.) I don't feel better than those that like this. Just different. I'm not gonna pretend that paying that much for this item AND being excited about it makes sense to me. It doesn't. But I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of things that I WOULD spend money on, and quite willingly, that others here also would be unable to understand. And I wasn't trying to belabor the point- I just got caught up in (what I thought) was playful banter with those who were expressing disagreement with my opinion that it wasn't worth it. For that, I apologize.

2.) I WAS genuinely surprised that they were charging THAT much for this item. I may not be new to LEGO, or to the notion that sets, or minifigs, get inflated on the secondary market, but I guess I was just surprised to see LEGO "skipping the middle man" and "inflating" (though if it is what the market will bear, it isn't really "inflated" in a sense) the price of an item up front (and to call it a "high value" item is a bit off. It ISN'T intrinsically a "high value"item. The value, as we have established, is in the eye of the beholder). Perhaps they have done this sort of thing before, but I wasn't aware of it, since I wouldn't normally be looking into those types of products, I guess.

So I apologize if I came off as snooty. Wasn't my intent.
Mister Ed

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:11 pm

Personally, I'm mainly dissapointed in the fact that, like others have pointed out, this item is "more available" to people living in a certain area and/or country.

In short, even though LEGO chooses to produce a limited number of these kind of items, they should sell a portion of these on Shop At Home, and not limit their availability to a particular store in a particular state of a particular country.

My two "outside of USA" cents.
Daz Hoo

Postby b4p » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:12 pm

Solo wrote: But you're acting surprised by this? Seriously? Stop feigning ignorance just to pretend you're somehow better than those collectors willing to spend the extra cash on high value items that don't interest you.

please stop twisting my words around to create drama. i hate drama. :cool: i'll stop replying to this thread as it's leading nowhere i'd like to go
b4p

Postby Chief » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:33 pm

If people were to just happen to PM me inquiring about acquiring one of these for themselves, I might just happen to oblige the request come Saturday when I'm at the park for SW Weekend. And I wouldn't charge you the failtacular $7 the park would charge to ship it to you. Nudge nudge.
Chief

Postby Turkguy19 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:44 pm

Daz Hoo wrote:Personally, I'm mainly dissapointed in the fact that, like others have pointed out, this item is "more available" to people living in a certain area and/or country.

In short, even though LEGO chooses to produce a limited number of these kind of items, they should sell a portion of these on Shop At Home, and not limit their availability to a particular store in a particular state of a particular country.

My two "outside of USA" cents.

LEGO Land is having their Star Wars Weekend, makes sense to have something nice for it. Same thing goes for store openings. They have their Exclusive set that you can only get there, and have a limited number. So, this is nothing new for LEGO.
Turkguy19

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:01 pm

Turkguy19 wrote:LEGO Land is having their Star Wars Weekend, makes sense to have something nice for it. Same thing goes for store openings. They have their Exclusive set that you can only get there, and have a limited number. So, this is nothing new for LEGO.

I'm not saying it's something new and that I am surprised.

I'm just saying that I'm dissapointed that these things are done this way and that, in all fairnest to fans all over the world, companies like LEGO who produce collectables such as this item should modify their practices.

One can only hope, can he? ;)
Daz Hoo

Postby gfxguy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:08 pm

Turkguy19 wrote:LEGO Land is having their Star Wars Weekend, makes sense to have something nice for it. Same thing goes for store openings. They have their Exclusive set that you can only get there, and have a limited number. So, this is nothing new for LEGO.

I didn't know they offered exclusives only at the store being opened. You'd think I'd have seen some of those sets on BL, but I know there's a lot of stuff I'm missing, too.

I guess what bothers me is not knowing what's going on. For example, they didn't say this was exclusive (and even if it were, it turns out many "exclusives" end up on S@H anyway). So... if it's going to be available at S@H, they could let us know... it would still be great for those going to Legoland to get it first (maybe even by a long way). In fact, as a mini-rant, the thing that bothers me the most about TLG is lack of information. It wouldn't be frustrating to KNOW that I couldn't get one of these; it's more frustrating NOT knowing.

But, FWIW, they finally called about my order! So now I'm a bit happier about it. :)
gfxguy

Postby meeotch » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:10 pm

Legoland just called me back and allowed me to order up to 2. Shipping was 7.95.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Oky Wan Kenobi » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:15 pm

I guess I'm an uber nerd for actually considering to pay this much to get this fig. :x I am not sure, though. I'd be OK with paying $13 for this thing, seeing as it's an exclusive and all, but over $20?... I don't know. It would be great if the rumor of this being available in stores soon is true. So, if anyone manages to talk to a LEGO rep about this item, could you please ask them about this rumor? I'd love to know what they say. Thanks.
Oky Wan Kenobi

Postby meeotch » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:19 pm

Grr... I should have asked that.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby gfxguy » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:41 pm

Swoosh Factor wrote:
gfxguy wrote:$30 on BL? Not in a million years. Maybe I'm just not THAT much of a nerd.

$30 isn't really unreasonable once you've factored in sales tax, BrickLink and Paypal fees. Considering nobody's gotten their hands on hundreds of these, the overall profit is significantly less than either of the other chrome figs. Also, BrickLink sellers would be charging $2-3 to ship via USPS versus $7 or more to send it via UPS.

I didn't say $30 was an unreasonable selling price, merely that, IMO, it's an unreasonable BUYING price. Frankly, if they can't get enough to make it a worthwhile endeavor, that's their problem. As a buyer, $30 is unreasonable.... again, IMO. Some people will be happy to pay it.
gfxguy

Postby THX152 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:00 pm

Got in on the action too. Got confirmation earlier today.

I didn't think the price was bad at all compared to the previous Chrome figs. Not to mention less hassle to get. Will make a nice collectible.

Enjoy!
THX152

Postby Chief » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:04 pm

Just an addendum to my earlier post. I don't know what limits -if any- they'll place on in-person orders on Saturday. I'll do my best to help out as many people as I can, but I hope my post was not in any way taken as a guarantee.

PS: I have a lot of PMs to answer. If I haven't responded to you yet, relax, you're on the List. :)
Chief

Postby PDQAg » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:43 pm

I went by the park this afternoon and they had a few left in the Big Shop. I didn't go by the Lego Studios store or the Clubhouse, but I know they were being sold there as well. There is a limit of 2 per guest per day so that there will be some left for Star Wars Weekend, but they are selling fast! So if you can be there this weekend, the first thing you need to do is go to a store and buy one (or two) before they are all gone!
PDQAg

Postby jomandybri » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:44 pm

I got sick of waiting, and because I'm in Australia, I got one on eBay for $US29.95. There were 8 available last time I checked, and they all had FREE SHIPPING!
May the mass times acceleration be with you!
jomandybri

PreviousNext

Return to Finds/Deals