Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[CAN] Buy 2 get 15% off and Buy 3 get 25% @ TRU

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

[CAN] Buy 2 get 15% off and Buy 3 get 25% @ TRU

Postby Ara » Fri May 22, 2009 10:34 am

Toys r Us is having yet another special. Much like the last one but this time they go a little further. The sale is limited to Power Miners, Pirates, City and Racers sets however.
Last edited by Ara on Fri May 22, 2009 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ara

Re: Buy 2 get 15% off and Buy 3 get 25% @ TRU

Postby MShiels » Fri May 22, 2009 4:39 pm

BUT BE WARNED

It seems the same is not 25% off the whole batch - it seems they want to charge full price for '2' items, 3rd you can get 25% off. Which works out to only around 8 and a bit percent off, which means a totally different thinking!!!
ImageIf near Mississauga, come visit us at 2410 Dunwin Drive, Unit 5 - your local Ontario LEGO only store - TRUly the largest selection of LEGO around
And out Bricklink store is http://Shop.LastingToys.Com
MShiels

Re: Buy 2 get 15% off and Buy 3 get 25% @ TRU

Postby Ara » Fri May 22, 2009 4:50 pm

Whoa! Now that I wouldn't have caught. Thanks for that Michael. XD
Ara

Re: [CAN] Buy 2 get 15% off and Buy 3 get 25% @ TRU

Postby MShiels » Fri May 22, 2009 7:27 pm

And I won't even start on my tirade about them being

Largest LEGO seletion in Canada

HA!!! Maybe in quantity of each set, but for sure not in variety!!! But I am not going to battle with them, not worth the pain/suffering.
ImageIf near Mississauga, come visit us at 2410 Dunwin Drive, Unit 5 - your local Ontario LEGO only store - TRUly the largest selection of LEGO around
MShiels

Postby firestorm » Fri May 22, 2009 8:17 pm

MShiels wrote:HA!!! Maybe in quantity of each set, but for sure not in variety!!! But I am not going to battle with them, not worth the pain/suffering.

Their flier clearly states buy 2 and get 15% off, buy 3 get 25% off your purchase. Its the same thing as before when they had a sale on LEGO Star Wars Buy 2, get 25% off. They didn't say buy 2, get the 3rd 25% off or something like that. Don't believe me? Check out their flier and their prices online.

No worries MShiels. I brought it from them and everything went out perfectly as stated on their flier. I purchased 1 pirates, 1 power miners and 1 racer and they were all 25% off. Price does not matter. You can purchase the sets from whatever price range. This also includes online and FREE shipping with orders over $49.99. I tried this in their website.

Anyways, ToysRUs Canada is not that misleading. They have sets that are above MSRP and also sets below MSRP. Some examples includes the darth vader's tie fighter $34.99, Rogue Shadow $59.99, and MagnaGuard Fighter $49.99.

I don't get why a lot of people hate / critize ToysRUs so much. Sure they may have sets above MSRP sometimes, but they never "scam" or try to "mislead" their flier. This will only hurt their image. With the toy business declining, and other major competitors such as WalMart and Target, they really cannot afford to play "low prices" with them.
Wal-Mart can afford this because they may lose profit on a certain department, but they have other deparatments that makes enough profit to make up for the loss. This is how they end up making many companies go bankrupt.
firestorm

Postby MShiels » Sat May 23, 2009 3:31 pm

Well I have a shopping cart that shows '2' items at full price, and 1 item with 25% off, so that sure sounds wrong to me.

And here is a cut/paste of the invoice they are trying to bill me, for 25% off ONLY one item, of the three. not sure what I am doing wrong, but this sure looks funky!!!

2 LEGO City - Passenger Train
Item#: 3282099

IN STOCK: Arrival dependent upon the shipping method selected.(Details)

$119.99 $239.98

1 LEGO City - Passenger Train
Item#: 3282099

IN STOCK: Arrival dependent upon the shipping method selected.(Details)

$119.99 $89.99

VERY ODD!!! The 239.98 is 2 * 119.99 so no discount on the first two at all.!!!
MShiels

Postby hatcher » Sat May 23, 2009 4:10 pm

firestorm wrote:
Their flier clearly states buy 2 and get 15% off, buy 3 get 25% off your purchase. Its the same thing as before when they had a sale on LEGO Star Wars Buy 2, get 25% off. They didn't say buy 2, get the 3rd 25% off or something like that. Don't believe me? Check out their flier and their prices online.

Actually, it doesn't say that. I am looking at it right now, and it says "Buy 2 save! 15% or Buy 3 and save! 25%". It doesn't actually say 25% off ALL items. It is just ambiguous enough that they could go either way on you. And when I try to add items to my shopping cart in the online store, it only reduces the price on the cheapest item price entered.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby ricefields » Sat May 23, 2009 7:29 pm

the website definitely does not give 25% off on all three items; it only gives 25% on the third one. Best bet is to fight it out in the store with the sales clerk or manager. the flier when I read it gives the impression that it is 25% off on all three items just like the recent one they had where you only had to buy 2 to get 25% off the 2. Why would anyone care about getting 25% off one lego when you have to buy 2 at full price - that's the worst sales gimmick ever!

Interesting though if you leave two elibible lego sets in your cart, you get about 15% off the second one!
ricefields

Postby firestorm » Sat May 23, 2009 10:39 pm

Hmmmm, this worked for me yesterday. I checked today and you guys are right. THATS A RIP OFF LAME DEAL !!!!
Such a misleading flier. They should mention buy 2, get one 15% off or buy 3 get one 25% off. Last time when they had buy 2 or more and save 25% off Star Wars, it was actually 25% off on BOTH items. Not just one item.

On average, that works out to be 7.5% off if you buy 2 and 8.33% off if you buy 3. And thats the best deal you can get as it only goes for the lowest price. WOW ! Are you seroiusly kidding me? 8% off for buying 3 sets. I got an SPC card and i get 10% off ALL purchases made from Zellers.

Sorry about that guys but is it too late to change this?
firestorm wrote:Anyways, ToysRUs Canada is not that misleading.

To this:
ToysRUs is a really misleading and rip-off place.

Anyways, i'm not going to bother going to the stores to argue with them. I agree with the other members here.
firestorm

Postby Ara » Sun May 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Maybe I should change the Topic to "Buy 2 get 15% off something and buy 3 get 25% off something"?
Ara

Postby firestorm » Wed May 27, 2009 4:42 pm

TO correct everything, its 15 / 25% OFF your entire purchase if you do it in stores. If you do it online, its programed to only take 15% off 2nd purchase and 25% off 3rd purchase
firestorm

Postby ufjason » Wed May 27, 2009 6:47 pm

So, I now know how you all feel about pricing first hand. Stopped in a TRU and couldn't believe the price premium Canadians pay, the exchange rate making it even worse! I thought I might pick up some space police sets but the discount would barely cover the premium! I'd be crossing the border to pick up lego every chance I got!
eBay store, contact me if you'd like to perform trades from my inventory. I'm looking for original genosian fighers, second version a-wing fighters and tie bombers. I may be interested in other sets so let me know what you have.
ufjason

Postby firestorm » Wed May 27, 2009 9:19 pm

ufjason wrote:So, I now know how you all feel about pricing first hand. Stopped in a TRU and couldn't believe the price premium Canadians pay, the exchange rate making it even worse! I thought I might pick up some space police sets but the discount would barely cover the premium! I'd be crossing the border to pick up lego every chance I got!

I know how you feel cause thats how i feel too. Although TLG is trying to adjust to our currency, they are really slow at it. Right now the new sets have been converted to our "old" currency exchange rate of $1.00 USD = $1.25-1.30 CAD

$19.99 USD = $24.99 CAD (prev. $26.99)
$39.99 USD = $49.99 CAD (prev. $54.99)
$49.99 USD = $64.99 CAD (prev. $69.99)
$99.99 USD = $129.99 CAD (prev. $139.99)

USD currency is not worth as much but TLG didn't really even raise their prices. Its gonna take several years before they will adjust Canadian prices to 1.1 X the USD price. They are just going to make up an excuse such as "transportation, tax fees, imports fees, government laws, etc." If you look in contrast, the MSRP price always stays the same. Only new sets can have new MSRP prices.
firestorm

Postby onions » Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 pm

firestorm wrote:
ufjason wrote:So, I now know how you all feel about pricing first hand. Stopped in a TRU and couldn't believe the price premium Canadians pay, the exchange rate making it even worse! I thought I might pick up some space police sets but the discount would barely cover the premium! I'd be crossing the border to pick up lego every chance I got!

I know how you feel cause thats how i feel too. Although TLG is trying to adjust to our currency, they are really slow at it. Right now the new sets have been converted to our "old" currency exchange rate of $1.00 USD = $1.25-1.30 CAD

$19.99 USD = $24.99 CAD (prev. $26.99)
$39.99 USD = $49.99 CAD (prev. $54.99)
$49.99 USD = $64.99 CAD (prev. $69.99)
$99.99 USD = $129.99 CAD (prev. $139.99)

USD currency is not worth as much but TLG didn't really even raise their prices. Its gonna take several years before they will adjust Canadian prices to 1.1 X the USD price. They are just going to make up an excuse such as "transportation, tax fees, imports fees, government laws, etc." If you look in contrast, the MSRP price always stays the same. Only new sets can have new MSRP prices.

Right, those are just excuses. You forgot currency exchange rates on your list.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby MShiels » Thu May 28, 2009 8:49 am

Well it does cost alot more to run a business up here. I am sure the ratio of office staff to run the very small Canadian office, vs population/product sold, is quite a bit higher than the USA office. Yes the product all comes from the same place, but I bet LEGO Canada has to buy/deal with LEGO Denmark/parent company for the actualy product, same as LEGO USA does. So somewhat the expenses of operating the business here in Canada, for profitability etc, will be higher than USA, so account for a bit higher price, then a pure exchange based price.
MShiels

Postby Blacknight » Thu May 28, 2009 9:44 pm

Maybe, but most other toys in Canada aren't marked up as much as Lego is (at least that's my perception as a customer, maybe as someone who runs a toy business MShiels, you know differently). Books and video games are often cheaper in Canada. So this "office in the igloo" theory doesn't explain everything, not by a long shot. Anyway, we've been over this topic a hundred times with no good answer.
Blacknight

Postby Ara » Sat May 30, 2009 4:36 pm

"Office in the Igloo"? Is that what it's called? LOL! There was a thread on the old forums that discussed pricing across different countries. IIRC Steve Whitt was involved in the thread and the bottom line was stated to be that the United States is the most competative market in the world so LEGO will be priced most competatively there. This might explain why LEGO is so expensive in Europe [where LEGO is from] and less so in America.
Last edited by Ara on Sat May 30, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ara

Postby MShiels » Sat May 30, 2009 5:13 pm

And from various avenues I have heard, that alot comes down to making a certain profit from the goods, so in places of high taxes, europe/canada, the prices are higher, to make a bit more/end up with similar profit %s based on goods value. It makes sense, but not to the buyers at all.

Similar to METRO locally here, who got rebranded from Dominion, but at the same time raised prices 30-50% on some stuff, trying to recoup all the rebranding/renovations in like 6 months, I Swear they are nuts. Kinda why I don't shop them anymore.
MShiels

Return to Finds/Deals