Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[CAN] Zellers 30% additional off clearance YMMV

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

[CAN] Zellers 30% additional off clearance YMMV

Postby ricefields » Mon May 11, 2009 11:33 am

It's been pretty quiet so here's a small find which may or may not be applicable or is already ongoing at your local zellers

Additional 30% off clearance toys including lego

So far I have seen mostly mosaics, racers, city, mars mission, speed racer, sponge bob, and bionicle on clearance

They are supposed to have the yellow price tag to indicate clearance but may need to scan individual boxes just to make sure. Best bet for left over stock on clearance is to check the less frequented zellers which there are a decent number of them in the toronto area. Unfortunately, zellers in other cities may not have alot of clearances due to lower pop. and retail choices.

Basically comes out to 40-48% off depending on what the previous markdown was (which varied from 15%-25% off already).
Last edited by ricefields on Mon May 11, 2009 6:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ricefields

Re: [CAN] Zellers 30% additional off clearance YMMV

Postby firestorm » Mon May 11, 2009 5:32 pm

Well theres no LEGO on clearance at my local 2 Zellers store. The only thing i found was the spongebob. And the clearance thing really varies by stores. Don't have any hopes that there will be Star Wars or Indiana Jones.
firestorm

Postby Ara » Mon May 11, 2009 6:14 pm

The closest Zellers to me is closing/moving so their Lego selection is the bottom of the barrel. All the Lego is consolidated onto two shelves in one little section of the aisle. Mostly Racers and Bionicle left. No yellow tags there either. :|
Ara

Postby Swoosh Factor » Tue May 12, 2009 8:02 am

Oh Zellers, you're like the ghetto version of Wal-Mart. :lol:
Swoosh Factor

Postby ricefields » Tue May 12, 2009 2:52 pm

While some Zellers are "ghetto-ish", honestly I had more finds and bought more lego at Zellers than Walmart over the past several years. Of my whole collection, I think the only sets I bought at Wal Marts in canada have been the battlepacks! All other legos have come from zellers, toysrus, winners, real cdn superstore, Lasting toys, walmart USA and various online shopping sites. I could never count on the Wal marts in my area to have stock or stock during sales. Zellers has the same problem too but at least they have more sales, BOGO, and airmiles/reward points.

So far I have only seen the large clearances at Yorkgate Mall (jane/finch - toronto). Will be checking at least 2-3 other locations later in the week.
ricefields

Postby meeotch » Tue May 12, 2009 3:28 pm

Swoosh Factor wrote:Oh Zellers, you're like the ghetto version of Wal-Mart. :lol:

You have got to be kidding. You have a store trashier than Wal-Mart in Canada? Oh dear brother, now I've heard it all.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby hatcher » Tue May 12, 2009 4:07 pm

It all depends on the Zellers as to the level of trashiness. The Zellers in Guelph is fantastic, is large, has lots of items in stock, everything easy to find, and employees who actually know where things are. The Zellers in Barrie on the other hand (Which is the closest on to me unfortunately) is spew. Little stock, poor layout, employees who don't give a rip, etc, etc.
The one in Collingwood is good too, but not close enough for me to get over to very often.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can understand binary, and those that can't.
"None of you understand. I'm not locked up in here with you, you are locked up in here with me!" - Rorshach, Watchmen.
hatcher

Postby firestorm » Tue May 12, 2009 4:47 pm

Well most Zellers stores aren't the best. But they have been trying really hard to improve ever since it was purchased from a USA company. I still remember the time when they had clearance LEGO Star Wars sets at $2.98 for tusken raiders encounter, final duel, and all those little sets a couple years ago.

Zellers generally does not have the best selection, but their clearances sales are usually pretty good if you can find the set you are looking for.

But Zellers is like similar to Target... All red and stuff. Plus, target's exclusive are equal to Zellers exclusive.
Republic Fighter Tank was on sale for $59.99 CAD near the christmas seesion(reg.$69.99 CAD) when Zellers first received the set. 2 Months later, it was sold out at LEGO shop.

In order of the Best Selection (Sears and superstore are tie as sometimes they are fully stock and sometimes they have only 1-2 sets.

ToysRUs, Wal-Mart, Zellers, Sears/Superstore, London Drugs
firestorm

Postby Ara » Tue May 12, 2009 4:54 pm

LMAO! :lol: Great posting Canucks!
This is for the benefit of our global members reading this thread. Believe it or not it's owned by the oldest company in North America, The Hudson's Bay Trading Company, founded in 1670 and recently purchased by an American Equity Firm. It's kind of sad to see they've let Zellers slip like that but furthermore I fear it's only the beginning :(
Ara

Postby ricefields » Tue May 12, 2009 7:36 pm

meeotch wrote:
Swoosh Factor wrote:Oh Zellers, you're like the ghetto version of Wal-Mart. :lol:

You have got to be kidding. You have a store trashier than Wal-Mart in Canada? Oh dear brother, now I've heard it all.

Isn't kmart or big K trashier than walmart in the US! And I have also noticed the wal marts in most suburbs in canada are set up better than their counterparts in the US. Same thing with Sears, the product and setup in the Sears stores in Canada are alot better than Sears in the states.

Unfortunately going to zellers does not hold the same experience as going to targets in the states and while many had hopes target would buy out zellers and come to canada,it was the parent company of lord & taylor who bought out the bay and zellers, thus ending any hopes of target coming to canada anytime soon.
ricefields

Postby Bertramtalespinner » Wed May 13, 2009 6:14 am

I find it's the out of the way, run down, aging Zellers that are great for Clearance stuff. Sadly they ahve been upgrading a lot of stores, at least in the GTA where I am, I've lost two great Dirt Mall Zellers.
Bertramtalespinner

Postby Ara » Thu May 14, 2009 8:16 pm

Does anyone in the GTA know if the Zellers at Dundas West and Bloor is still around? I scored a couple of deals there once from a friendly store manager. :D
Ara

Postby Blacknight » Thu May 14, 2009 10:11 pm

Sorry guys, IMO Walmarket is way more trashy than Zellers in everything but product selection. The employees are dumber at Walmart and most of your fellow customers are rude and pushy in their quest for trailer park bargains. To me, trashiness is also defined by trying to pack too mush stuff into too small a space (like my home :lol: ). I never feel that way when I go to Zellers, the aisles are wide and its a lot less congested than Walmart (because the deals aren't as good I suppose). All that said, I agree the Lego selection at Zellers usually sucks.
Blacknight

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri May 15, 2009 8:22 am

To me, Wal Mart and Zellers are pretty much on the same level. My experience is that it really all depends on where the store is located and how well it is managed.

Here in the Montreal area, I've seen really clean and really well kept Wal Mart and Zellers stores where most customers were rude, impolite and all over the place, taking away from the experience of shopping in such well kept places. But I also visited a few Wal Marts and Zellers in some nicer neighborhoods, but the stores were so dirty, overpacked and not kept organized that you can't find anything unless you look really hard and almost dig for the stuff that you want.

As for the LEGO selection, it really depends on what you're looking for. If you're looking for the new sets, Wal Mart is the place to go usually. But personally, over the years, I have found more great deals and more older (sometime discontinued) sets at Zellers.
Daz Hoo

Postby grumpy111 » Wed May 20, 2009 4:54 pm

There's a Zeller's closing down sale at Eglinton/Pharmacy in Toronto. I bought the Police Pontoon Plane #7723 for $25. That was the only lego I saw there. Maybe you'll find something if you dig to the back of the shelves..
grumpy111

Postby Ara » Wed May 20, 2009 7:37 pm

grumpy111 wrote:There's a Zeller's closing down sale at Eglinton/Pharmacy in Toronto. I bought the Police Pontoon Plane #7723 for $25. That was the only lego I saw there. Maybe you'll find something if you dig to the back of the shelves..

That's my Zeller's! :) I haven't seen #7723 on the shelves there in weeks. Only Bionicle, Racers and a couple of City construction sets. Fortunately there's a Walmart less than a kilometre away and a TRU two kilometres away. Yay for Lego availability in the burbs. ;)
Ara

Postby grumpy111 » Wed May 20, 2009 8:07 pm

Hi Ara, so you're familiar with the area. Have you been to the TRU at Cederbrae Mall? I was there two months ago. They still have lots of the Luke Skywalker Maquettes on sale for $20, if I remember correctly. They also have the Imperial Landing Craft sets too (don't remember the price). I don't own these sets. But if anyone needs them, they're there. I stopped buying lego for the last 5 years, but I started again. I missed out on alot of stuff!
grumpy111

Return to Finds/Deals