Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

January 2017 Assortment Now Available

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

January 2017 Assortment Now Available

Postby Staff » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:11 pm

10255_alt1

Officially, this may be known as the spring wave. I'm not sure where I saw or heard that so that may or may not be true. In any case, the January 2017 assortment is now available* up at LEGO [email protected] Give it another day and Amazon will follow through with their live links.

* - The clock struck midnight a few minutes ago, and as of this writing, not all of the January sets are available. Most are in a state of transition, i.e. have a status of "Backorder". Things should resolve over the next few hours. All items marked as "Backorder" can still be ordered and will be processed in the order they are placed.

Some notes:

- There is one promo going on right now that may be of interest to you Batman fans. Right now, you can get a free The LEGO Batman Movie mini Batwing polybag set with all orders $35 or more from now through 11:59pm January 15th, 2017 while supplies last. If you hit that threshold you'll also get free standard shipping.

- And speaking of The LEGO Batman Movie, all sets are live except for 70912 Arkham Asylum. That one is strangely absent from [email protected]'s website as of this writing. It is a Toys'R'Us retailer exclusive so that may have something to do with it but it's strange that [email protected] doesn't even list it since they've always sold retailer exclusives in the past. Looks like it showed up earlier in the morning, along with 70910 Scarecrow Special Delivery

- The Juniors line, which features simpler builds to bridge the gap between DUPLO and classic System, has had a few licensed sets before and continues this year with Frozen and Batman (and Friends but that one's not licensed).

- New Frozen castle set!

- No new Star Wars sets as of this writing. They may come in a few months. I honestly don't have a clue on that one.

All the new stuff is in the monstrous list below. Every theme except Star Wars is covered. No need to browse their site. And is it glitchy for anyone else where if you click on a new theme nothing happens? Anyways, just click on through directly to the item you want.

The LEGO Batman Movie

70908_alt1

DC Super Hero Girls

41235_alt1

DC Super Heroes

76069_alt1

Marvel Super Heroes

76072_alt1

Ninjago

70626_alt1

NEXO KNIGHTS

70350_alt1

Juniors

10737_alt1

Friends

41313_alt1

DUPLO

10842_alt1

Disney

41148_alt1

Creator

10255_alt1

Architecture

21034_alt1

CITY

60139_alt1

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2016/12/31/january-2017-assortment-now-available/
Staff

Re: January 2017 Assortment Now Available

Postby PurpleDave » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:36 pm

Official policy now is that the LEGO Stores will no longer stock retailer exclusives, but [email protected] will continue to do so. You may be able to get TRU to price-match Arkham to [email protected], but I've had mixed results with that in the past. It may help that they have automatic free shipping above $75, which is well below the price of that set.

Scarecrow, in case anyone is wondering, is a Wal-Mart exclusive, and was already stocked to shelves locally sometime last week.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:15 pm

TRU should match LEGO.com prices. If they argue, bring up their own website and show them the policy that clearly lists LEGO.com. Maybe insult their shoes, I don't know. I opted for the purchase through [email protected], I just hate going into TRU unless I can avoid it. Also, the free polybag.

LEGO Brand Retail stores haven't stocked the retailer exclusives for the past year or so, and it wasn't just a matter of keeping the retailers happy (though that was probably some of it). The bigger issue is that the retail exclusive sets are all produced in smaller quantities, and were always ending up as stock constrained compared to regular sets. So where the store may get 50 or 100 of a regular set, they were only getting 10 of the exclusive set. That was causing them to sell out, and was a customer service headache. Especially when resellers and scalpers were coming in and wiping out their stock to go sell them at a markup.

Any other retailer and I'd say that's covering, but knowing that the biggest thing for the LEGO stores is making sure that products end up in the hand of their actual customers, and not the reseller slime, I buy that reasoning. Turns out that they hate the scalpers just as much as most AFOLs do.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:56 am

dWhisper wrote:TRU should match LEGO.com prices. If they argue, bring up their own website and show them the policy that clearly lists LEGO.com. Maybe insult their shoes, I don't know.

The most vivid memory I have of this sort of thing was several years ago, so maybe that predates their current policy. It was the mask packs from Bionicle, which were also sold at Meijer for some series, but not all. I don't remember which pack it was that I was after, but TRU was the only store in town that carried them, and [email protected] had no policy regarding free S&H except as a promotional event. They were supposed to retail at $1.99, but TRU had them jacked up to $2.99. Given the sheer number it might take to complete a set of masks, I really wanted them to price-match the things, but the only thing I could bring in at the time to show the true MSRP was the [email protected] catalog. And they cited shipping costs as a reason to refuse to price-match. I think that may have been the first time they actually applied the TRU "discount".

LEGO Brand Retail stores haven't stocked the retailer exclusives for the past year or so, and it wasn't just a matter of keeping the retailers happy (though that was probably some of it). The bigger issue is that the retail exclusive sets are all produced in smaller quantities, and were always ending up as stock constrained compared to regular sets. So where the store may get 50 or 100 of a regular set, they were only getting 10 of the exclusive set. That was causing them to sell out, and was a customer service headache. Especially when resellers and scalpers were coming in and wiping out their stock to go sell them at a markup.

Half year, at least. The first set I recall having this issue with was the Ra's al Ghul Batman set, and the Civil War airport tanker was noted as another set that they wouldn't be carrying. Before that, I can't recall the last retailer exclusive that I was actually interested in buying. Probably it was the Brainiac set, but that came out in 2015, so I think two years ago (1.5 at least). I probably picked up my final copy over a year ago. Now, I'd been told that this would be policy going forward, but not the reason behind it. Seems the sensible thing to do would have been to front-load the shipments. Make sure they have a comparable number at launch and then back off that number on later shipments. Because, frankly, they tend to be a bit difficult to get your hands on at the retail partner as well.

Any other retailer and I'd say that's covering, but knowing that the biggest thing for the LEGO stores is making sure that products end up in the hand of their actual customers, and not the reseller slime, I buy that reasoning. Turns out that they hate the scalpers just as much as most AFOLs do.

Well, mostly. I've been told in no uncertain circumstances by a LEGO employee that the people behind the SDCC exclusives don't give a flying fig about feeding the scalpers. I asked him if they realize that even though the year they were rigging the giveaway with hand-tickets vs. apron-tickets, all it meant was that the parents of the kids they handed them to would just take them away to sell on eBay. His response? "They. Don't. Care." Giant pause between each word. Said it a few times, always in the same manner, each time I tried to question the totality of that answer. So, Consumer [email protected] absolutely does care about all the fretful parents that call in because little Timmy missed out on the newest set because one person walked out with the entire stock in direct violation of item limits (though that seems to be a much bigger issue with the park system than LBR). But that's about as far as that sentiment goes. There's still probably a large contingent within the company who still doesn't accept that there's a large adult fan base that's responsible for a fairly substantial percentage of their annual sales. To be fair, there's still a lot of confusion over the exact numbers involved there. I remember a time when AFOLs speculated that they were over 50% of the annual sales (not even close), while TLC believed it was closer to 5% (just as wrong). Primarily through the VIP program, they were able to settle in on something like 15% or 25% of the total sales. Small percentage of the overall customer base, but much bigger spenders on average. And based on the prices people are able to sell those rare minifigs for, TLC could make tons of money if they took all of the SDCC minifigs and released them in non-SDCC packaging for individual sale. Even at $20 a pop, they could probably move truckloads.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby paulmison » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:29 pm

I believe that Star Wars sets will be released in the US in March, although I couldn't point you at anything saying that officially.

Regarding exclusives, I've only had a Lego Store open nearby for a few months, but since one of the first sets that I wanted to buy was the Ninjago Titanium Tumbler, I found out pretty quickly that such sets no longer get stocked.
paulmison

Postby onions » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:11 pm

paulmison wrote:I believe that Star Wars sets will be released in the US in March, although I couldn't point you at anything saying that officially.

Regarding exclusives, I've only had a Lego Store open nearby for a few months, but since one of the first sets that I wanted to buy was the Ninjago Titanium Tumbler, I found out pretty quickly that such sets no longer get stocked.

I think you're right. Now that I think about it, a March release happened last year for Star Wars.
onions
Damp Noodle

Return to Finds/Deals