Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[CAN] LEGO S@H Sales&Deals: Republic Dropship, Emerald Night

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

Re: [CAN] LEGO S@H Sales&Deals: Republic Dropship, Emerald Night

Postby Inzane » Fri May 01, 2009 8:37 am

Dang it... I get really busy at work for a few days and I completely missed this latest magic-code action. :(

Darn.... and I really, really want to pick up the Motorized AT-AT for a sale price. And the UCS MF for ~$500 CDN? :shock:

I've been waiting a LONG time for a code bonanza, as many of you have see me post over and over again.

I definitely want in on any PM or email list for fellow MBoCLH folks.

I'm going to go cry in a corner now....

Jason
Inzane

Postby Blacknight » Fri May 01, 2009 11:57 am

I know it sucks when you miss codes. :'( If it's any consolation, I've missed out on codes lots of times in the past too, or they've expired on me with items in the basket. Again only thanks to Septemris' quick action did some of us get in this time. We have got to create a permanent email/pm list for everyone on MBoCLH so no one is left out.

The next thing we need to keep our eyes out for is the 10th Anniversary event on May 3-4th. It may suck but it may be something cool.

With the economy the way it is, Lego really should start offering more genuine sales that last longer than 12 hours.
Blacknight

Postby Gumby » Fri May 01, 2009 12:10 pm

ricefields wrote:And if you get stonewalled there, then just buy US-priced set and have it shipped to a border town in US, which is only good for those in border towns in canada to pickup. Shipping to US and taxes are slightly cheaper compared to ontario shipping and taxes but maybe not to those provinces that don't get charged pst on their shop@home purchases. Lastly, time your trip to the states with the arrival date of package. Perfect time coming up is may24 weekend / US memorial day weekend.

If you ship it to a border town in the US and pick it up, when you cross the border, you run the risk of being taxed on your goods. And given the price & size of the UCS Millenium Falcon box, I would be very surprised if they let you through unscathed!

I've mentioned this before - if you want a set for the US price (i.e. 10179 for US$499), go to a LEGO store and hope that it's NOT in stock. If it isn't in stock, they can order it for you and ship to your house at no extra cost. This way you don't have to declare it at the border. This is how I managed to purchase a 10179 for US$525 ($499 + 5% GST) from Portland, OR, shipped to me in Vancouver, BC. (As well as a 10193 Medieval Market Village for US$105 from the Bellevue, WA store). The only drawback is that you have to wait for the item to be shipped to you, or longer if it's on backorder.

Of course, the best deal is when you can get a large set for the US price, but in Canadian dollars (such as 10179 for CDN$499).

Hey, is there really a MBoCLH email list? Cuz I want in too! :)
Gumby

Postby firestorm » Fri May 01, 2009 12:33 pm

Gumby wrote:Hey, is there really a MBoCLH email list? Cuz I want in too!

Me 2 !

Oh well even though i didn't get the falcon for $5.97 shipping.... i still dont' mind anymore. I never had an intention to get this set as i'm not really a UCS fan with the exception of the dropship and AT-OT and the death star (if they are UCS...not sure cause they have minifigures)?

I pretty much collected all the clone wars LEGO sets which i purchase all of them from (20-50% off) already except the ahsoka starfighter, death star and dropship and AT-OT.

And I plan on not getting the magna guard starfighter and V-19 Torrent as I don't really like it.
firestorm

Postby Septemris » Fri May 01, 2009 1:10 pm

How could I forget about Inzane and Gumby! And Swoosh Factor too!

I looked into the control panel and fiddled around a bit to try to make a list of members that I could save and try to pm to when something like this happens. I haven't managed to do it though.

Maybe we could ask the admins to make us a group? Is it possible to send a pm simultaneously to a whole group?

Either that, or we revert to the old MBoCLHs Email list.
© Bernard
Septemris

Postby Daz Hoo » Fri May 01, 2009 1:13 pm

Septemris wrote:Either that, or we revert to the old MBoCLHs Email list.

We could make a Yahoo group. That way, anyone can email the group or stop getting all the emails if they choose too...
Daz Hoo

Postby firestorm » Fri May 01, 2009 5:23 pm

Ya that would be awesome for LEGO Canada Fans !!!
firestorm

Postby Aharown » Fri May 01, 2009 6:18 pm

If you're going to do something like this, please count me in too!

(And here's hoping Lego has a proper sale for those of us in Canada!) :D
<><
Aharown

Postby ricefields » Fri May 01, 2009 8:17 pm

Gumby wrote:
ricefields wrote:And if you get stonewalled there, then just buy US-priced set and have it shipped to a border town in US, which is only good for those in border towns in canada to pickup. Shipping to US and taxes are slightly cheaper compared to ontario shipping and taxes but maybe not to those provinces that don't get charged pst on their shop@home purchases. Lastly, time your trip to the states with the arrival date of package. Perfect time coming up is may24 weekend / US memorial day weekend.

If you ship it to a border town in the US and pick it up, when you cross the border, you run the risk of being taxed on your goods. And given the price & size of the UCS Millenium Falcon box, I would be very surprised if they let you through unscathed!

I've mentioned this before - if you want a set for the US price (i.e. 10179 for US$499), go to a LEGO store and hope that it's NOT in stock. If it isn't in stock, they can order it for you and ship to your house at no extra cost. This way you don't have to declare it at the border. This is how I managed to purchase a 10179 for US$525 ($499 + 5% GST) from Portland, OR, shipped to me in Vancouver, BC. (As well as a 10193 Medieval Market Village for US$105 from the Bellevue, WA store). The only drawback is that you have to wait for the item to be shipped to you, or longer if it's on backorder.

Of course, the best deal is when you can get a large set for the US price, but in Canadian dollars (such as 10179 for CDN$499).

Hey, is there really a MBoCLH email list? Cuz I want in too! :)

If any lego fans/buyers in canada have to be jealous about, its the vancouverites (right term?) because they live 2 hours away from the bellevue LEGO store (but don't like your peace arch border crossing though). The closest lego store to ontario or quebec or all of eastern canada would be chicago or boston which are both more than 4 hours away. Gumby, I tried your method in the boston store for the death star during a new england vacation and they would not do it, so you may have lucked out over at bellevue or the staff know what they are doing over there. So the only hope for ontarians is to wait for good sales on shop@home or have US items shipped to niagara falls US, then drive 1.5 hours to cross the border to pick it up. And when I mentionned to time it right, I meant plan a 2-day trip so you can bring $400 worth per person across the border. US shipping / mail companies have known for awhile of this canadian demand for US goods, so there are several firms out there that offer package and mail receipt services for canadians. Two options available include purchasing a mailbox on a montly basis so you get a us address on holding privileges or just do it on a per package basis and pay $5 per box but holding times are max 1 week; hence timing is everything.
ricefields

Postby firestorm » Fri May 01, 2009 10:50 pm

ricefields wrote:If any lego fans/buyers in canada have to be jealous about, its the vancouverites (right term?) because they live 2 hours away from the bellevue LEGO store (but don't like your peace arch border crossing though).

Its actually around 3 hours. Maybe even longer if its busy at the border line. Anyways, even if you purchase from LEGO stores, you have to pay customs/taxes (7% PST + 5% GST = 12% tax). Not to mention, The washington or orgeon state (not sure which one) charges 8 percent state tax. In otherwords, your paying 8% tax, then that taxed amount is taxed again !! This means your paying OVER 20% tax as the 8% tax from the states is taxed again.... Finally, don't forget your paying in USD right now. Last 2 weeks, the currency was $1.00 USD = $1.25 CAD. Today, i just checked and its $1.00 USD = $1.18 CAD. So after all that, its probably better off to purchase it in Canada at a sale price like Zellers BOGO 1/2 price or ToysRUs sales.

Aharown wrote:(And here's hoping Lego has a proper sale for those of us in Canada!)

Ya i agree. Their sales for Canada are not as good as USA. Plus most of our LEGO items are usually higher than usual US pricing. If you look some of their sale items, USA always gets the better discounts off. Occasionly, the discounts will be equal. But most likely it won't. Take a look at the indiana jones Lost Tomb. $10 USD, $15 CAD (reg.$20 USD, $27 CAD) Or the public works. $1.00 USD, $2.00 CAD (reg.$3.49 USD, $4.99 CAD) Is US currency really double of ours? Well... our LEGO friends in Canada thinks so for the public works.
firestorm

Postby meeotch » Fri May 01, 2009 11:13 pm

Just to add to what you were saying, it is Washington that has the sales tax. We don't have sales tax in Oregon.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Gumby » Fri May 01, 2009 11:23 pm

ricefields wrote:Gumby, I tried your method in the boston store for the death star during a new england vacation and they would not do it, so you may have lucked out over at bellevue or the staff know what they are doing over there.

Hmm that's weird - did you try this recently? I just did it with a 10193 at the Bellevue store on March 9 of this year. The LEGO website page for Bellevue even stated "complimentary shipping on items not in stock", but the website layout has changed and that note isn't there anymore. In the physical store itself, I've seen small signs that give that offer, but of course it's possible they may have removed them now.

Anybody heading down to a LEGO retail store in the States, keep your eyes peeled for such a sign!
Gumby

Postby BrickSith206 » Sat May 02, 2009 8:00 am

Gumby wrote:
ricefields wrote:Gumby, I tried your method in the boston store for the death star during a new england vacation and they would not do it, so you may have lucked out over at bellevue or the staff know what they are doing over there.

Hmm that's weird - did you try this recently? I just did it with a 10193 at the Bellevue store on March 9 of this year. The LEGO website page for Bellevue even stated "complimentary shipping on items not in stock", but the website layout has changed and that note isn't there anymore. In the physical store itself, I've seen small signs that give that offer, but of course it's possible they may have removed them now.

Anybody heading down to a LEGO retail store in the States, keep your eyes peeled for such a sign!

The Bellevue store had a change in management, like right after your purchase. The Shop and Ship signs are still in the store, but at the store level they can not ship into Canada anymore. Also, tax is 9.5%, not 8%. Oregon is the place to go as there is no sales tax (I think a member already pointed that out).

On the flip side....when the US/CAN exchange rate is good, and there are sales in Canada...I've crossed over the border in reverse and purchased Lego in Canada and brought it to the US. We're allowed up to $1000 in goods purchased until the 15% import tax kicks in. Or I go down to Portland and drop serious coin in their store. I do not frequent the Bellevue store that much even though it is the closest. The store is extremely small and always crowded, and when you are buying Lego en masse, adding practically 10% on top for tax is insane.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby Ara » Sat May 02, 2009 12:29 pm

How fortunate are you guys? Even a metropolitan city like Toronto I feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere with all this LEGO store talk.
BrickSith206, over how long a period is that $1000 limit. We have limits according to time spent in the US. e.g. $100/24hrs duty free. But nothing that high.
Ara

Postby Gumby » Sat May 02, 2009 9:13 pm

BrickSith206 wrote:The Bellevue store had a change in management, like right after your purchase. The Shop and Ship signs are still in the store, but at the store level they can not ship into Canada anymore. Also, tax is 9.5%, not 8%. Oregon is the place to go as there is no sales tax (I think a member already pointed that out).

Wow I guess I lucked out then. I wonder if different stores have different policies then? Or maybe it's a rule change they implemented across all US retail stores.

BTW, the UCS Millenium Falcon is 25% off (for a limited time) now. So much for offering compensation as a result of their code hiccup. They were gonna put it on sale regardless. >8(
Gumby

Postby Blacknight » Sat May 02, 2009 9:48 pm

Gumby wrote:
BrickSith206 wrote:BTW, the UCS Millenium Falcon is 25% off (for a limited time) now. So much for offering compensation as a result of their code hiccup. They were gonna put it on sale regardless. >8(

They're clever buggers aren't they.
Blacknight

Postby firestorm » Sat May 02, 2009 10:06 pm

Gumby wrote:BTW, the UCS Millenium Falcon is 25% off (for a limited time) now. So much for offering compensation as a result of their code hiccup. They were gonna put it on sale regardless.

Ya not such a good thing for us candian folks after they made an error and offer an item thats on sale to the public. Really sad and disappointing as we wasted our time purchasing the item and going through all their code glitch/bugs.

Was hoping for a dropship with AT-OT discount or the death star.
firestorm

Postby BrickSith206 » Sat May 02, 2009 10:13 pm

Ara wrote:How fortunate are you guys? Even a metropolitan city like Toronto I feel like I'm in the middle of nowhere with all this LEGO store talk.
BrickSith206, over how long a period is that $1000 limit. We have limits according to time spent in the US. e.g. $100/24hrs duty free. But nothing that high.

It's always been over a weekend or at least one night.
Do something.
BrickSith206

Postby Blacknight » Sun May 03, 2009 2:49 am

firestorm wrote:Ya not such a good thing for us candian folks after they made an error and offer an item thats on sale to the public. Really sad and disappointing as we wasted our time purchasing the item and going through all their code glitch/bugs

Technically, you didn't really "purchase" it, you tried to get it for free. ;) Still, I'm sorry for you and everyone who missed the dropship code, I know myself how disappointing it is to miss out on codes. I agree a Death Star discount for the anniversary would have been great.
Blacknight

Postby Ara » Tue May 05, 2009 6:56 pm

Count your blessings and grab the Falcon now while you can. I've been unhappy with the prohibitive price since it came out. And now I'm even unhappier because even at this price I can't part with that kind of money right now. Me haz teh sad :(
Ara

PreviousNext

Return to Finds/Deals