Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

LEGO Movie Benny's Spaceship, Construct-o-Mech, and Police Dropship Now Available

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

LEGO Movie Benny's Spaceship, Construct-o-Mech, and Police Dropship Now Available

Postby Staff » Sat May 31, 2014 9:24 pm

The Ecto-1 isn't the only set going up for sale today. The other three LEGO Move sets are also going up for sale tonight: 70816 Benny's Spaceship, Spaceship, SPACESHIP! $99.99 (Amazon | LEGO Shop@Home), 70815 Super Secret Police Dropship $79.99 (Amazon | LEGO Shop@Home), and 70814 Emmet's Construct-o-Mech $59.99 (Amazon | LEGO Shop@Home). Some people were lucky enough to pick these sets up here and there at various Toys'R'Us stores across the nation (and at MSRP to boot) or at LEGO Brand Retail stores. I haven't been able to find any of them yet so if you're like me and still looking to pick up some or all of these sets, now's the time.

And for you Uni Kitty fans out there, in case you didn't know, Emmet's Construct-o-Mech has Angry Kitty, and Benny's ship has Astro Kitty.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/05/31/lego-movie-bennys-spaceship-construct-o-mech-and-police-dropship-now-available/
Staff

Re: LEGO Movie Benny's Spaceship, Construct-o-Mech, and Poli

Postby etcknight » Sat May 31, 2014 11:01 pm

Picked up Benny's Spaceship (must have!) at TRU. Lego Brick and Mortar had it out on store shelves this past week. Glad it's so spot on to the on-screen source material. XD

Little disappointed that Emmet's Construct-o-Mech is so different from it's on-screen counterpart. Not sure I have enough time or determination to undertake that MOC, but I'd love to see someone build it for real. >8(

Metal Beard's Sea Cow is a good rendition from the source material - but this one also I wish had been closer to it's on-screen counterpart.
etcknight

Postby Andi » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:13 am

In German Lego Stores it was out since a week. It's a great build and a nice ship. But it's huge!
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Trooper10 » Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:38 am

Oh man with a crappy SW Wave 1 this year my bank account was just about off life support - now this lot, plus Ecto-1, plus GotG are sending it back to intensive care... :'(
Trooper10

Postby sparkart » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:25 pm

Wait, the LEGO Movie sets aren't exactly like they are on-screen? That's a serious question with no sarcasm - I still haven't seen the movie. The smaller sets are movie-accurate, right? I only have the Super Cycle Chase, and that's because the sci-fi movie nerd in me liked the idea that I was actually buying a screen-accurate prop. When I saw the larger sets at the LEGO store today, I was impressed. But the luster is just a little less brilliant if they aren't exactly like they appear on-screen.
sparkart

Postby Solo » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:58 am

Nope. Maybe a few are, but the ones that I paid attention to are slightly modified from the on-screen versions. I still haven't fixed up my Metalbeard like I want to. The catch 22 is if you go all out and try to replicate them perfectly, you're basically Lord Business incarnate.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby buriedbybricks » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:00 am

Yeah, I don't even think the super cycle is 100%. IIRC, the large gear in the back wheel on screen is a gear that doesn't even exist, unfortunately.
buriedbybricks

Postby sparkart » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:22 pm

So, I was watching the extras on the LEGO Movie today, and whoa, there's Wildstyle's Super Cycle in LEGO Digital Designer in the background, kinda like this.

And I'm thinkin' Triple-B is lyin' about "the large gear in the back wheel on screen is a gear that doesn't even exist", cause that's LDD, but I look closer, and it's "LDD Hollywood Edition". Huh. I'm sorry I doubted you 3B.

Don, I'm okay with acting like Lord Business incarnate, because I'm a contrarian that enjoys the LEGO movie for the tragedy that it portrays, the end of order and peace in the LEGO Universe. Ever notice that the LEGO sets usally imply some kind of antagonist/protaganist, bad/good conflict with a fair amount of violence? I mean, even some of the Friends sets, like Olivia's Workshop. She's got a chalkboard up there, to symbolize that eternal struggle of...girls versus math. And then, the robot control, it's got a big RED button. Usually red buttons means something blows up. Insidious.

But back on topic...do you think someone on the Replica Prop Forum would be able to fabricate that large LEGO gear so I could make a screen accurate LEGO Super Cycle? :)
sparkart

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:15 pm

I remember seeing someone say the design team used the same gear in the set as they did in the film, which is clearly not the case. My question is, where did the animators get the specs for this suspect gear? Did they just make one up to fill a design hole, or is LEGO keeping this from us for a reason?

An obviously nefarious reason.

TO THE MYSTERY MACHINE!
buriedbybricks

Big wheel

Postby sparkart » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:51 am

Efferman on Eurobricks Shapeways-ed a more accurately sized gear for the rear wheel. The details and color don't perfectly match the on-screen model, but it's still awesome.

I'm thinking of wrapping the links around the big wheel that comes on 75040 General Grievous’s Wheel Bike, which there should be enough in the set as-is to do, without resorting to Bricklink for more. I dunno if this is going to work - you can get away with a lot of things in LDD that won't work in real life:

That big wheel is part number 2903, and maybe it's appropriate that it's trans-clear to highlight the non-existence of that LEGO part, which is erroneously identified in the movie as 3649.

Wild speculation, but I'm wondering if the big wheel was used because it looked better when the bike is converted to a flying machine.

EDIT: The big wheel doesn't work, the links don't fit in the grooves of the wheel.
sparkart

Return to Finds/Deals