Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

The LEGO Movie Number 1 For Weekend Box Office

Post your sales news here. Open forum. No Special Access Required!

The LEGO Movie Number 1 For Weekend Box Office

Postby Staff » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:12 pm

The LEGO Movie Box Office Numbers

Unsurprisingly, The LEGO Movie dominated the weekend's box office earning $69.1 million domestically with The Monuments Men, also debuting this weekend, coming in a distant second at $22.7 million. Internationally, it opened in a modest third place, opening mostly in Latin America, earning just $18.4 million estimated, with Disney's Frozen taking top spot at $24 million thanks to opening in China.

The LEGO Movie cost Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow just $60 million to make and, also unsurprisingly, talks have already begun on a sequel. It can't come fast enough.

The film is rated at 95% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes as of this writing. We will be publishing our own reviews shortly.

sources: Variety | The Wrap | Rotten Tomatoes.
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/02/10/the-lego-movie-number-1-for-weekend-box-office/
Staff

Re: The LEGO Movie Number 1 For Weekend Box Office

Postby gomek » Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:23 pm

Saw the movie this weekend. The whole family liked it. 95% is a shame. It was at 100% prior to the release and I was hopeful that rating would stick for a little longer. How does anyone not like this movie? I always felt like people who give bad reviews to universally loved movies (and conversely good reviews to universally panned movies) should perhaps question their taste.

Anyway, more important question is where I'm going to get the money for all the sets and when wave two will hit.
gomek

Postby crazybirdman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:02 pm

I just hope they don't rush out a crappy sequel. And in unrelated new, wow Frozen is hanging on.
crazybirdman

Postby gomek » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:54 pm

Yeah, the sequel is going to be a tough task. I have faith in the two guys who did this one. Unfortunately you can't just repeat what you did. While that makes sense for most successful franchises (see James Bond), you just can't do that here.

Personally, I kind of hope they just try to tell an entirely different type of story with mostly different characters. I feel like Emmet. "Do what they are not expecting".
gomek

Postby preterosso » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:46 pm

crazybirdman wrote:I just hope they don't rush out a crappy sequel. And in unrelated new, wow Frozen is hanging on.

I don't think LEGO will rush it and risk damaging the brand -- at least, I hope not. We went as a family opening night and it surpassed all my expectations: almost a libertarian spin on the perils of conformity and crony capitalism!

And in unrelated opinions, I also thought Frozen was way better than I expected it to be.
_______
Just Phil
preterosso

Postby gomek » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:24 pm

Oh, the other notable thing from my showing was a rather lengthy Kre-o commercial that preceded the movie. While I'm quite sure the Kre-o marketing team saw this as a golden opportunity, it was kind of awkward and uncomfortable, like when that uninvited guest shows up to the party.
gomek

Postby The_Chosen_1 » Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:36 pm

^ Haha! That's an awesome analogy.

Also, a 95% Certified Fresh rating is nothing to frown at. That kind of positive reception for an animated film is normally reserved for Pixar.
The_Chosen_1

Postby crazybirdman » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:44 pm

Yeah we had the KREO commercial, but there was a few Mixels commecrials that didn't mention LEGO at all, just clips from the commercial and a Cartoon Network logo at the end.

Spoiler: show
Maybe the next movie will focus on the themes WyldStyle thought weren't worth mentioning :lol:
crazybirdman

Postby murphquake » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:00 pm

I saw the Mixels thing at 1 of 4 showings i've been to (thought the early screening last week they only had one trailer, for the imax lemur movie) ... no lego branding at all which i thought was dumb, but on retrospect is kinda smart, they're better off getting kids hooked on the show and wanting the merch than hoping the show about the sets is fun... business wise it's not that absentminded
murphquake

Postby scandell » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:31 am

I worked closely with the Directors Chris and Phil back on Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs. They are incredibly funny...and know how to make movie-moments stand out. Unfortunately, I design 3D character facial expressions and my contribution to the LEGO Movie franchise would be...non-existent. HA. ...stupid textured 2D faces...
scandell

Postby Inzane » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:33 am

gomek wrote:a rather lengthy Kre-o commercial that preceded the movie. While I'm quite sure the Kre-o marketing team saw this as a golden opportunity, it was kind of awkward and uncomfortable, like when that uninvited guest shows up to the party.

I haven't seen the movie yet, but I'm kinda glad to hear this. I want their GI-Joe line to survive. Eagerly waiting for Wave 3. (Their Kreons have been selling like hotcakes but I don't think the sets have been doing that well).
Inzane

Postby Tohst » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:22 am

Mostly off topic.

That Kreo commercial is cross branded with Toys R US and the news from Toy Fair indicated that Kreo will only be found at Toys R Us going forward.

That said, they still showed a lot of new stuff at Toy Fair.

-Tohst
Tohst
Staff Writer

Return to Finds/Deals