Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 6860 The Batcave

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Re: Review: 6860 The Batcave

Postby Flynn » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Sinestro27 wrote:Don't get me wrong, I loved the Adam West Batman...when I was five. But as an adult I go back and look at that show and...well, come on. Its pure silliness. And its derived from a story that is far from silly or amusing. Batman was always meant to be dark. If you want to make a super hero campy, do the Flash or Aquaman or something. No childhood trauma to be found with those characters.

This ignores, of course, the fact that Batman was only "dark" the first year of his run and then for almost two decades maintained the same general lightness and at times campiness that the TV show derives from. Silly fantasy is as much a part of Batman's history as dark grittiness is, and ignoring the former entirely does a great disservice to the character. After all, as much as his life is defined by his childhood trauma, let's also not forget this is a story about a guy who dresses up like a bat and fights crime.

I don't think the West show is the perfect adaptation of Batman (that's the Burton films and TAS, thank you very much), but we shouldn't be judging these things on how well they compare to the original, because that's not what they are. The West show, taken on its own, is a perfectly silly comedy that can be loads of fun to watch. In the end, that's what should matter, not whether or not it's "too campy" for the comics.

Batman Begins had been a hit in 2005, and the line hit in 2006, but the sets not really being directly based on any of the movies. The sets were far more influenced by the comics, cartoons, and TV show, as well as little hints here and there of the new movie.

I think there's reason to believe the Batplane/Joker set was heavily based on the '89 film. The Batmobile/Two-Face set also bears similarities to Forever.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Robzula » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:40 am

Flynn wrote:After all, as much as his life is defined by his childhood trauma, let's also not forget this is a story about a guy who dresses up like a bat and fights crime.

I've heard it said that Batman is basically trying to out-ham his opponents, and I love that interpretation.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby dWhisper » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:29 am

He easily has the weirdest villains menagere in the comics. Only one that even comes close to challenging him would be Spider-man. Maybe it's something about being named after an insect eating animal that people are generally scared of (typically for no reason)
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Previous

Return to Reviews