Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Marvel Super Heroes Review: 76007 Malibu Mansion Attack

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Marvel Super Heroes Review: 76007 Malibu Mansion Attack

Postby CaptainFordo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:56 am

This is mostly a placeholder right now since I'm on my phone on my lunch break at work, but I wanted to flesh out a few thoughts while they're fresh.

I have to say of the mid-top range of superhero sets I've bought, this is certainly the most satisfying imo. Hulk's Helicarrier Breakout was 15 quid more, had the same number of minifigs - counting Hulk as 2 - 3 of which were available in 2 other sets (taking the polymers bags into account) a rather sparse Helicarrier and an admittedly nice jet. Bat vs Bane was 5 pounds more with only 3 minifigs though 2 were new and one redesigned, and had a rather underwhelming Bat and while I like the Tumbler a lot I know many weren't happy with it. MMA comes with 5 new minifigures of which only one is repeated and another has a variant. The helicopter is nicely designed and can actually have people hang off the side unlike Deadpool's. While the mansion has come under fire for its size, to me it feels much more substantial than the helicarrier playset, and is bigger than I had been expecting.

Starting with the minifigures, they're a pretty great bunch, you've got most of the bases covered: Lead male, lead female, villain, henchman, Iron Man suit and additional robot. Some criticism has been levied at Stark having brown hair instead of black, but actually having tried both options, the brown works better for this body, due to the mostly black clothing. By comparison, however, the black hair still looks better when used on a helmetless Iron Man minifig, since the brown doesn't contrast well enough with the red. Tony's wearing what is basically his standard non-suited outfit, which is appreciated, since just about anyone can easily make their own "Tony in a suit" figure, while this outfit is quintessentially Stark. He also has new expressions, a smirk with a grin and a shocked, open-mouthed face.

Tony brown hair, IM black hair by CaptainFordo, on Flickr Image
Tony black hair, IM brown hair by CaptainFordo, on Flickr

Moving on to Ms. Pepper Potts, she's a pretty good representation of Pepper. The suit she's wearing is pretty representative of her clothing choices in the films, 2 and 3 in particular, but her hair, while a distinctive choice, lack that ever present Potts fringe. I mean Lego has a perfectly good fringed ponytail hairpiece, but I guess having used that on Mary Jane they wanted to differentiate their heroine redheads.
Pepper Potts by CaptainFordo, on Flickr

When I first saw the Mark XLII being unveiled, I really took against it. Having had about half a year to come to terms with it I like it ok now and it certainly looks pretty great on film as opposed to that nasty looking statuette, but I would've prefered less gold on the chestal region. Nonetheless, this minifig is a great translation of the armour to brick form, with the printing being really top notch stuff. I'm not sure about the gold hands since they look like gloves and I do wonder if maybe gold arms and red hands might have been more accurate, but I'm splitting hairs as it really is great. One thing worth noting is the new suits have a more saturated and yellowy gold faceplate, which looks better IMO, but it doesn't actually match the gold on the printing, which remains the slightly paler gold used on the Avengers era faceplates. Just a little thing worth noting, but no biggy.

Mark XLII by CaptainFordo, on Flickr Image
Mark XLII Back by CaptainFordo, on Flickr

Finally moving on the villains, the Mandarin is a very impressive figure. Once again we have the "odd choice of hair debacle" (a running theme in this set) since the Sumo Wrestler from the Minifigure theme had a perfect top knot, though I'm not sure it would've fit with the beard. The beard is another sticking point, since it seems a bit cartoony and the Mandarin's beard isn't even all that long, with the end result of making him look like Alan Moore cosplaying Ming the Merciless. Despite all these jabs it's a great figure and while you really need to use the angry side of his head (with the marginally frownier eyebrows) to take him seriously, his bodywork leaves nothing to be desired. It's a luscious dark green and gold print with a cloak to match, giving him an impressive oriental look.

Mandarin by CaptainFordo, on Flickr

Finally captain cannon fodder of the set: The Extremis soldier. This figure is your average mook really, nothing remarkable about him to say besides the red vein printing (oddly glowing through his clothes, but maybe that's film accurate) and glow in the dark head. I said hair would be a running theme and meant it, as I actually think black hair would've complemented this figure better than brown, but that's a minor niggle. He also lacks any weapons, even though there are two gun clips on the chopper, but since I have a whole armoury of them from the other sets, even with giving Deadpool an extra gun, this shouldn't be a problem.

Extremis Soldier by CaptainFordo, on Flickr Image
Extremis Soldier black hair by CaptainFordo, on Flickr

Now for the builds: Beginning with the quasi-minfig, Dum-E is a simple enough build, but a fun inclusion, and one where LEGO's random placement of fire extinguishers in sets finally makes sense for once! The helicopter is a pretty nice one, good colour scheme and a sleek, slimline build. I put in some comparison shots of Deadpool's chopper for a visual aid. It's a lot thinner and lower, but the length is the same and it still feels nice and complete. Indeed, it lets you hand people out the side which DP's didn't so that's a win there. Of course it is still just another chopper, so it's not terribly exciting, but good for what it is, while being different enough from DP's to warrant inclusion.

Mandarin's Helicopter by CaptainFordo, on Flickr
Mandarin's Helicopter and Deadpool's Chopper front by CaptainFordo, on Flickr
Mandarin's Helicopter and Deadpool's Chopper top by CaptainFordo, on Flickr
Mandarin's Helicopter and Deadpool's Chopper by CaptainFordo, on Flickr

The Mansion is the meat of the set, and while its size has been criticised, it's still a pretty cool playset. I have to say the biggest criticism would be that it's quite cramped. While the Helicarrier set suffered a little of being a tad sparse, this set doesn't have a huge amount of room to fit minifigures on it.

Malibu Mansion by CaptainFordo, on Flickr
Tony at work by CaptainFordo, on Flickr
Hall of armours by CaptainFordo, on Flickr
Mansion interior by CaptainFordo, on Flickr

The action features are also a bit lacklustre. In principle I like them a lot, since the pop out window and 'exploding suits' mirror the trailer well, but when I flick the switches the suits just kind of go a bit wonky and the tolerances on the window must have been that tiny bit out, because it hangs in the frame rather well... Despite this I still really like the look of it, it may be 5 armours short of a hall, but it still feels like the one in the film, even though it crams multiple elements into the same small space.

Suit jiggling action... by CaptainFordo, on Flickr
Lame window pop feature... by CaptainFordo, on Flickr

In summary, if you're a big Iron Man fan, this is the quintessential set. It's got Iron Man and his alter ego, his love interest, his number one villain, his robot...butler isn't quite the right word but still, plus an extra dude for Iron Man to punch, as well as his home and a villainous attack 'copter. It has a few shortcomings, but there's still a lot to love about this set and I certainly feel I got more for my money than with the Helicarrier set.
Last edited by CaptainFordo on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CaptainFordo

Alan Moore what?

Postby sparkart » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:22 am

"...Alan Moore cosplaying Ming the Merciless." :lol:
sparkart

Re: Alan Moore what?

Postby CaptainFordo » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:42 pm

sparkart wrote:"...Alan Moore cosplaying Ming the Merciless." :lol:

Well he does :P I mean the beard and hair are a lot likethis pic
CaptainFordo

Re: Marvel Super Heroes Review: 76007 Malibu Mansion Attack

Postby sparkart » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:17 pm

And he's got the rings.
sparkart

Re: Marvel Super Heroes Review: 76007 Malibu Mansion Attack

Postby CaptainFordo » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:57 am

sparkart wrote:And he's got the rings.

Ha! I didn't even notice that. That's kind of spooky...
CaptainFordo

Return to Reviews