Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 9494 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 9494 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor

Postby Staff » Mon May 07, 2012 6:40 pm

I'm not sure which ship can really claim the crown of most rehashes, but one just sort of assumes it's either the Jedi Starfighter or the Jedi Interceptor (Eta-2, something I know thanks to the now deceased Star Wars Galaxies). Yes, I know a few seconds on Brickset could tell me that the JSF has had six (really, six?) and the JSI has only had four-ish (the Yellow Anakin's Starfighter was released twice), but that's not really as much fun.

This is the first of the Eta-2 ships we've seen since 2007, when the Blue version was released with the Hyperdrive ring. Before that, in 2005, we had the Anakin's yellow ship (torn apart by buzzer droids at the start of RotS), which was also available in 7283 - Ultimate Space Battle, the only set to feature Obi-Wans version in red. And while I'd love to do a comparison... I never purchased 7283, and the rest of mine are all packed up in the midst of the baby-prep, so we're handling this one alone.

I've got a soft-spot for simple starfighter sets like these, because I think starfighters (OT and PT) are the best sort of "toy" that gets released in the Star Wars line. They're a simple little ship that's always a semi-challenging build, and usually look pretty nice sitting on a shelf, or better getting swooshed around. So how does this one stack up to the plethora of JSFs we've seen lately, and even the older interceptors?

Honestly? It's probably the worst of the Interceptors, but even the worst of these is better than most of the Starfighters. You have to ignore a few things that I'll talk about later, but the worst part of all on this set is the price... $40 US, $50 in Canada, and who knows how much in other locales.

I know we're beating a dead horse (or at this point, beating the pile of good where the dead horse used to be until we beat it too much), but LEGO Star Wars, and LEGO in general, has seen a lot of its value erode away. I've talked about this before in some of my other reviews, but it's just frustrating dropping $40 (in the US... more in other countries) and opening a box to see a few hundred pieces in a couple of bags.

Like most sets released in the last few years, it's easy to call this set a glorified battle pack, since we get five figures in this thing. The important thing to realize is that these are actual "movie" figures, and not using the Clone Wars demon faces. So, pretty much everything about these is new or somewhat new. First up, the most obvious one, we get Anakin, since it is his ship.

Technically, he would be "Darth Vader" at this point, but it's never really made clear what happens to the old name with Sith go all Sith-y. Like a lot of figs as of late, he's got an alt-face, and it's interesting print. It's a good hybrid between the Anakin of old and the more "corrupt" face of the Sith. Though it really sort of begs the question if anyone that turns to the dark side owns a mirror.

It's interesting looking at the comparison between the old Episode 3 Anakin, this new one, and the Clone Wars version. The newer faces have certainly become more cartoony, and Anakin's most of all. Apparently, the Dark Side leads us to Clone Wars faces. All kinds of makes sense now, doesn't it?

Since this is a Jedi ship, we also get an astromech. And since it's Anakin's, we get R2-D2. There's nothing at all wrong with that, I can always use more R2s. Nothing flashy or special about him, it's the same version that came with the Death Star Playset (and several other sets since then). I like the silver in the old head more, but have to admit the printing on this one is better.

In a lot of ways, this set is a successor to the absolutely terrible Ultimate Lightsaber Duel set that was released back in 2005 with the first wave of Episode 3. While some people may like it, back then, it was considered the worst of the Star Wars line. It had two Light-Up Lightsaber (LULS) figures and a big arena instead of anything closely resembling the scene in the movie. You know, looking at the thing, it's probably still the worst Star Wars set.

That being said, since this is a spiritual successor to that set, we get Obi-Wan in the set as well, since he was part of the climactic duel. And he's got an alt face like Anakin (also, his angry face does look kind of Chuck Norris-ish).

While not as pronounced as Anakin, Obi-Wan's face gets a big upgrade as well. I'm not sure how I feel about these new, detailed faces. I liked them in last years sets, but these seem to be even closer to Clone Wars than the stuff we saw in the Episode I sets.

As a glorified Battle Pack, this set has to include a couple of extra figures that may or may not be related to the set itself. Okay, it is a little, since it includes a brand new Nute Gunray, the guy Anakin went to Mustifar to kill (one of them, anyway). He gets a drastic makeover from the Clone Wars variety, what with the different hair color, hat color and dress. The printing on the dress is somewhat skewed, and it feels just wrong when you look at it.

Last, we get a security battle droid, which is just a battle droid, but in red. I honestly didn't even remember he was in the set at first, until I looked at the box and Shop@Home and saw it. Nothing special, like so many other battle droids we've had lately.

Outside of the ship, we get two of the Mustafar mining robots, which were featured in several gripping scenes of Anakin and Obi Wan glaring at each other. They're simple, but effective, and set up the battle nice enough. Not to mention some trans clear 2x2 clear round blocks.

As for the ship itself, it's not all that much different from earlier incarnations, other than the normal procedural updates. Quick glances show a couple of annoying features, like the pylons (or wings, whatever they are) being grey instead of dark green, and worse than that, it has no landing gear. Stickers on both side

Personally, I like the blasters on this one better than other starfighters. Each iteration has improved them, from the bars in the first one to these technic parts and lightsaber weapons we get in newer ones. But the biggest problems is that this version doesn't have landing gear, so you can only deploy the pylons on the top and bottom when you're holding it up.

What this version does try to do is address the whole "astromech jumping out of a thin little wing" problem from the movie. The terrible little landing gear stand-ins leave an alcove to drop R2 into. On the other side, you get flick-fires, but here, we get a stool for everyone's favorite astromech.

The cockpit itself is the same old model, but it's gotten a technic pin system that is... well, simply, worthless. It's so flimsy that if you have the cockpit and even look at it even a little funny the cockpit glass comes crashing down. On the back, we're just treated to a little stud instead of the old dish to cover it, and the engines are just afterthoughts.

The entire thing comes down to the same problem with all of the PT ships... they're just not all that memorable. This is an interesting little ship, to a point, because of the compact build, but once you put it down, you just forget it. All of the OT ships have something memorable to them; you remember the X-Wing, Y-Wing, B-Wing, and even the A-Wing. You remember the TIE series. These... not so much.

In the end, we're given an okay ship at a not okay price, with some good figures.

What I liked:

• Decent build

• Good representation of the ship

• Better than the sets it's the spiritual successor for

• Finally finds a place to put R2 without ditching his body

What i didn't Like:

• Way to expensive for what you get

• Pylons aren't the right color

• Lack of landing gear hurts the set

• Faces are starting to look too cartoony

Verdict: Buy it on sale if you like it, it's not worth it otherwise

Buy 9494 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor:

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2012/05/07/review-9494-anakins-jedi-interceptor/
Staff

Re: Review: 9494 Anakin's Jedi Interceptor

Postby CaptainFordo » Tue May 08, 2012 5:28 am

Good review, I have the original Anakin Eta-2 Actis Interceptor and found it felt a little delicate. I'm not sure I agree about the faces being more clone warsy though, they're just more detailed now, as opposed to the more minimalist designs of yesteryear.

Also as for the pylons, as you call them, not being able to be opened due to there being no landing gear, well that's kind of how they work. They're like X-wing s-foils, they're never open while the craft is landed. It's pretty neatthey managed to create a space for R2 though. Also those "terrible landing gear stand-ins" are movie accurate :P I have a SW Titanium series Interceptor (Obi-wan's if you must know) sat on my shelf and it does have those little protruding blocks on the underside.

On a more personal note, I disagree that the prequel ships were unmemorable, the Jedi's ships are some of my favourites in the entire saga, particularly Obi-wan's with the dark red colour scheme. But that's just a quibble with my opinion and not your review :P
CaptainFordo

Postby Artoo-Detour » Tue May 08, 2012 6:07 am

Thanks for the review! It's nice to see the starfighter from all angles! Though I'm not sure what you mean about the pylons (wings?) being the wrong color, they're grey (with red detailing) in the film.
Artoo-Detour

Postby dWhisper » Tue May 08, 2012 6:16 am

I suppose how memorable they are depends entirely on generation more than anything. The OT ships were all inspired by the planes and jets of WWII and Korean era, and it's echoed in some of the "down and dirty" nature of the ships. They looked more raw and rugged (even the TIEs). Everything in the PT, however, was all shiny and clean, with fancy colors to set them off and delicate shapes. More like modern jets, I guess, that are mostly collections of their parts.

If they're movie accurate, I'll gladly retract it, but I couldn't find any pictures of the green one out there. I could find tons of the yellow (which were certainly yellow) and the blue (which were edged in blue). What it doesn't fit is how this one looks compared to the other version, with their colored wings/pylons. I didn't have a chance to snap pictures of them, but when I first compared them, the grey did not look right next to the yellow and blue.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby CaptainFordo » Tue May 08, 2012 7:28 am

dWhisper wrote:I suppose how memorable they are depends entirely on generation more than anything. The OT ships were all inspired by the planes and jets of WWII and Korean era, and it's echoed in some of the "down and dirty" nature of the ships. They looked more raw and rugged (even the TIEs). Everything in the PT, however, was all shiny and clean, with fancy colors to set them off and delicate shapes. More like modern jets, I guess, that are mostly collections of their parts.

If they're movie accurate, I'll gladly retract it, but I couldn't find any pictures of the green one out there. I could find tons of the yellow (which were certainly yellow) and the blue (which were edged in blue). What it doesn't fit is how this one looks compared to the other version, with their colored wings/pylons. I didn't have a chance to snap pictures of them, but when I first compared them, the grey did not look right next to the yellow and blue.

They are definitely grey it seems http://www.rebelscum.com/gallery/c3/hasbro/IMG_2459.JPG

it doesn't match up because the colour schemes are inverted. Most of them are silver with a coloured trim, this is the opposite, green with a silver trim.
CaptainFordo

Postby Drock » Tue May 08, 2012 8:31 am

Thanks for another great review.

When I first saw the pics of the minifigs, I thought that Darth Vader was ugly and better fit in with the CW figures. I call him Darth Vader, but I understand why LEGO called him Anakin - a set called "Darth Vader's Jedi Interceptor" would have just sounded weird.

Anyway, I like Obi-Wan's face. Vader's not so much. I don't mind Gunray's, because he's not human so there is a little more liberty with how he looks.

I also like the mining robot and platform. The ship doesn't do much for me. I barely remembered it from the film. I knew that Vader flew something to Mustafar, but I really didn't know what it was for sure. Just like you said, it doesn't stick out the way that OT ships do.

I probably won't be picking this up. I was too late to the party to pick up the earlier RotS sets, so my collection is just OT and CW. This would look weird among the CW sets.
Drock

Postby brickmodder » Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 am

6? And here I thought Slave 1 would have won most rehashes. I guess not since technically half are Boba's and the others are Jango's...

brickmodder

Postby dWhisper » Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 pm

brickmodder wrote:6? And here I thought Slave 1 would have won most rehashes. I guess not since technically half are Boba's and the others are Jango's...

Only four by my count, unless you're talking about Minis. That'd put it on par with the X-Wing and the interceptor (also the Falcon if you count the UCS, other wise known as the "I win" version). Jedi Star Fighter certainly has the crown for redos.
dWhisper

Postby Trooper10 » Tue May 08, 2012 12:57 pm

Great review - this set is somewhat useful if you want to create an Obi-Wan red JSI version - it's pretty easy to sub in red wings here and there to replace the green. Not totally accurate with the grey winglets, but a cheap* way to create Obi's interceptor from the opening of ROTS.

*Cheaper than trying to find a 7283 (starting at about $300-400 on the interwebs right now!!!)
Trooper10

Postby CaptainFordo » Tue May 08, 2012 1:23 pm

Trooper10 wrote:Great review - this set is somewhat useful if you want to create an Obi-Wan red JSI version - it's pretty easy to sub in red wings here and there to replace the green. Not totally accurate with the grey winglets, but a cheap* way to create Obi's interceptor from the opening of ROTS.

*Cheaper than trying to find a 7283 (starting at about $300-400 on the interwebs right now!!!)

Actually those winglets are grey too, just with a little red trim. Again, I have my titanium interceptor on my desk for reference. Ergo it's actually a MORE accurate way of doing so in some respects :P
CaptainFordo

Postby fallenangel327 » Tue May 08, 2012 4:01 pm

dWhisper wrote:Quick glances show a couple of annoying features, like the pylons (or wings, whatever they are) being grey instead of dark green, and worse than that, it has no landing gear.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this was just a case of dWhisper not having seen the movie in a while – it was Obi-Wan’s Eta-2 that was attacked by buzz droids, not Anakin’s. ;) Not that that isn’t perfectly understandable.

He may also have been thinking of Saesee Tiin’s Eta-2, which did sport green ‘pylons’ (not quite the right word, as a pylon on an aircraft is a structure on which external equipment is mounted. ;) The Incredible Cross-Sections refer to the Eta-2 as having opening ‘radiator wings’).

I could have done without the astromech droid socket, though – due to an oversight in the film there are some scenes in which the whole of the droid fits inside the socket, and some (like this one) in which you can see its feet poking out. What’s more, this picture suggests that the wing isn’t thick enough to house the entire astromech in the first place. 4x4 wedges in the manner of previous renditions would have sufficed.

CaptainFordo wrote:Actually those winglets are grey too, just with a little red trim. Again, I have my titanium interceptor on my desk for reference.

Though you are correct on both accounts, I can’t say I’m comfortable with your using Hasbro Titanium models as reference when there are hi-res screencaps and other reliable reference available online. The molds just aren’t very good. :lol:

http://www.4.disp arue.org/movies/starwars/3/images/starwars3_0172.jpg

http://www.4.disp arue.org/movies/starwars/3/images/starwars3_3180.jpg

(As the site owner has requested that these screencaps not be hotlinked – and as these have since been relocated after I kept hotlinking them – I have put spaces in the URLs).
Last edited by fallenangel327 on Thu May 31, 2012 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
fallenangel327

Postby CaptainFordo » Tue May 08, 2012 4:51 pm

fallenangel327 wrote:Though you are correct on both accounts, I can’t say I’m comfortable with your using Hasbro Titanium models as reference when there are hi-res screencaps and other reliable reference available online. The molds just aren’t very good. :lol:

It's the closest and easiest reference :P I have the complete saga visual dictionary too and I could've found it by a google search, but I look two inches to my left and it's there. Why make work for myself? :P (Also the titanium eta-2 is actually pretty good, I can't see any real problems with it.)
CaptainFordo

Postby dWhisper » Tue May 08, 2012 6:18 pm

You are correct that I haven't watched it in awhile, but thought it was Anakin's speeder. It was still an absurd scene, but how is that different from almost anything else in the PT?
dWhisper

Postby rushiosan » Mon May 27, 2013 6:12 pm

1- As already pointed before, the "pylons" (wings) are actually gray in the movie.

2- The technic pin isn't used for holding the trans canopy. In fact, none of the previous versions intended to do that. I guess the technic mechanism was designed back in 7661 as a less fragile articulation than those hinged bricks we saw on the first incarnation of the Eta-2:

Here

and here

3- Also, there never was a dish covering the back portion of the cockpit. You may have seen some MOC or MOD. Some people actually did that using the Tie Fighter gray dish.

Overall, I agree with the review, specially about the lack of landing gear... it's a real shame we don't have them :S
rushiosan

Return to Reviews