Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: LEGO Minifigure Display Case

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Re: Review: LEGO Minifigure Display Case

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm with Robzula and MrCRskater. If you aren't planning on reselling them, their "value" should be defined by your enjoyment of them. I personally think that enjoyment is MUCH greater outside the package, otherwise, you could just print out a picture of the series and save the money of actually buying them. ;)

If you ARE going to resell them, well, frankly, for these minifigs, I think the vast majority of people who might buy them are planning to open them, so as long as you can show that they are complete, I'd think the CERTAINTY of the identity of what they are buying (unless you provide the x-rays as proof- how much did THAT set you back?) might outweigh the common preference for sealed packages...
Mister Ed

Postby kharavex » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:13 am

robskot wrote:I still like using a SHOOTER GLASS CASE better. In Canada, I get them from a Hobby/Crafts store called MICHAELS. They are $50, but they have a 50% off coupon every 2 weeks! Then just put in bases with whatever I've found in the bulk section of the Lego Store. A 6x6 plate is a great fit for the cases I have...but also think that getting 2 4x6, and 1/2 stacking for each slot makes it a look a little nicer.

Just this the wood and glass look a better than plastic.

We have Michaels in the US but I cannot find them in their online catalog. Do the cases come in other colors?
kharavex

Postby samtheq » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:00 am

I just want to add that the Blip Toys Minifigure display cases are fantastic. They are expensive, yes, but I think this is the best product of its kind that has come along!

They are incredibly sturdy--admittedly they could have gone with cheaper plastic and a lighter overall design, but I'm glad they are as hardy as they are.

I wish each "cell" was a wee bit bigger, too, but I picked up two black cases this weekend, and assembled the first two series of Collectible Minifigs, and it looks fantastic.

You do have to get a little creative in display--but aren't Lego fans good at that anyway? For example, the Series 1 "Skateboarder" can't hold his skateboard in the case. My solution was to put the figure ON the skateboard, and use clear round button studs to hold the skateboard in place. It looks good.

Also, for the Skier in series 2, he can hold the pair of skis in one hand, and a pole in the other, but that left me with an extra ski pole. My solution was to use a matching square 1x1 beside him--the one with the clip coming out--to hold the pole. Problem solved!

All in all, if you can get around the price--and that seems to be a recurring theme around here, and with all things Lego these days---I would heartily recommend these cases!

brant
samtheq

Postby robskot » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:43 pm

kharavex wrote:
robskot wrote:I still like using a SHOOTER GLASS CASE better. In Canada, I get them from a Hobby/Crafts store called MICHAELS. They are $50, but they have a 50% off coupon every 2 weeks! Then just put in bases with whatever I've found in the bulk section of the Lego Store. A 6x6 plate is a great fit for the cases I have...but also think that getting 2 4x6, and 1/2 stacking for each slot makes it a look a little nicer.

Just this the wood and glass look a better than plastic.

We have Michaels in the US but I cannot find them in their online catalog. Do the cases come in other colors?

Here's the link I found. I think they are only in black wood.

http://www.michaels.com/Shot-Glass-Disp ... ay&start=3
robskot

Postby lostone » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:58 pm

hi all

I really like quincy's display cases, anyone know what store would sell somthing simillar online in the U.K?

thanks
lostone

Postby jonutah » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:05 am

I looked at the Lego display cases yesterday at a TRU. I wanted SO BAD to like them, but they seem like total overkill to display a small 3 oz figure (that isn't all that delicate). And expensive too! 20.00+ for each - that's over 100.00 to cover series 1-5 so far. Personally I think a grid of interlocking wood would work great. That's what I'm going to create if I decide to display mine.

- Jon
jonutah

Postby bigospedros » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:14 pm

lostone wrote:hi all

I really like quincy's display cases, anyone know what store would sell somthing simillar online in the U.K?

thanks

I don't specifically, but I would hazard a guess that you'd be looking for compartment boxes in clear plastic from craft or hobby or or DIY or angling stores, since they are past times / activities that might require the storage of lots of little items.

I've personally gone for a display case that was designed for model cars and then made custom stands to fit on the shelves. I'll be posting a pic soon once my final bricklink order comes through.
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby lostone » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:29 pm

Thanks for the info bigospedros.

On a side note the case which your using now, sounds like the one i posted about before.

were did you find it, as my local hobby shop only had a limited supply, and ive not seen them anywere else.
lostone

Postby bigospedros » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:57 am

lostone wrote:Thanks for the info bigospedros.

On a side note the case which your using now, sounds like the one i posted about before.

were did you find it, as my local hobby shop only had a limited supply, and ive not seen them anywere else.

I got it on ebay ... link.

I'll post a photo of how I've used it, shortly :)

*edit* here's my display ... there's room for up to 11 series of minifigures, in vertical columns ...

Lego Collectable MF Display by bigospedros, on Flickr
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby volumex » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:21 am

impressive, plenty room for expansion. wood looks better, a tribute to were Lego started?
volumex

Postby Coret » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:16 pm

I managed to pick up a Black one of these today at TRU. The Black with the white plates are really nice.

Untitled by CoretDelontre, on Flickr
Coret

Postby Mudpuppy » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:24 pm

I do like these. However, unfortunately for a large collection, it isn't a practical way to display figs. For sig figs or collectables, it's awesome.

Now if my wife would just let me cover more flat surfaces in the house with Lego.... :lol:
Mudpuppy

Postby deco_droid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:39 pm

Dr. Cart wrote:Hello everyone,

Not to sidetrack the discussion, but I am an avid collector who has a complete set of each series, all sealed in original package (contents verified by X-ray). With all other sets/bricks/specials I have removed them/played with them/displayed them before... for some reason I have decided up till now to keep the mini fig series in MISB (or MISP with P for package)

However, I would like to put them in a display case of some kind... now that some appropriate options (like these or others folks have mentioned) exist. Does anyone think the figs loose value displayed over keeping them in original packaging?

Ultimately I am a collector and am not interested in keeping them for an investment.... but then again I don't want to reduce their value either.

Thanks for everyone's opinion in advance...

Cheers,

Dr. Cart

i'm more curious about the "verified by x-ray" line... :shock:
where do you have access to an x-ray machine if i may ask...
deco_droid

Postby deco_droid » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:43 pm

come on, dr. cart -- do you actually have an x-ray machine or was that just a throwaway comment?
deco_droid

Postby bidoofdude » Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:09 pm

evil wrote:These have been for sale In Aus apparently exclusive to TRU for a month or so now...

AUD$29.95 for the 16 and AUD $14.95.
We only get black base plates like the big ones, and we miss out on the generic minifig!

A case of them on comes with 2 of the black case too which is disappointing if you (like me) wanted black only!

They have tem in the AUS big w catalogue now for about $20.
For all you people out there that think us Aussies are primitive and have Kangaroos in our backyard, think again. Australia uses the most electricity in the world.We live in cities and not huts and you Yanks have weird accents.
bidoofdude

Previous

Return to Reviews