Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 7590 Woody and Buzz to the Rescue

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 7590 Woody and Buzz to the Rescue

Postby Staff » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:16 pm

Toy Story 7590 Box Set

Toy Story sets hold a special place in my heart. Not just because they capture one of my favorite movies, or come from the mighty Pixar, whose movies have set a standard that all animation, and even all movies, try to ascribe to. No, I love these sets because they created a sense of excitement in me that I hadn’t really felt since the first Star Wars sets hit. They are unique, and the first of the Disney line, capturing something that is already unique, and making it special.

Woody and Buzz to the Rescue captures a memorable scene from the first movie, the finale, actually, and captures it almost perfectly. RC Is rendered stunningly, and looks great compared to the movie.

Interestingly, the set bricks are all printed, no stickers at all in the set (unlike most of the rest in the line). Not to mention, so many nice colors. The wheels are as good as you can get with LEGO without a new rubber mold, but they do lack the nubs of movie-RC. The antenna is another tack-on, since it doesn’t have the red spot at the top, and it’s not white, but that’s somewhat of a minor point.

It’s really hard to pin down accuracy on this model. As you can see in the picture above, RC looks great. Woody Looks great. Buzz looks great. But Woody and Buzz are so much smaller than RC that it throws scale completely out the Window. As you’ll see in my Army Men on Patrol review, this is where that same LEGO style starts to suffer. The figures are all individually spot-on, but they don’t show exactly how varied the sizes in the toys in the movie are.

One frequent problem I’ve had with this set, though, is the rear spoiler falling off at the slightest little brush. Only a single 2x1 hinge holds it in place, and even the spoiler alone can tax that. Add to the fact that it’s designed to have Buzz sitting on top of it as well, to recreate the movie, it just falls off way too much. I would love to see if anyone has modded this thing to keep it from falling off.

The pull-back function is decent, and it’s nice to see the racers sets finally being put to use. Obviously, having the motor in the set lowers the ratio, which at .16 / part is already high. That’s really not all that surprising for a licensed set these days.

What is missing, sadly, is the RC controller for the car. It was an important part in the movie, and wouldn’t have taken a whole lot to get it looking right.

Minifigs are where the entire Toy Story line really shines, at least for looks. I mean, this set, like all the others, absolutely glows. LEGO Woody is the perfect fusion of that Toy Story look and LEGO style. Buzz is just great, and the hood and wings will eventually work their way into a wide variety of MOCs, I’m sure. Even with the unique printing and looks, there’s just a lot of promise.

The faces are sculpted on all the Toy Story figures, which sadly mean Woody’s hat is attached. This does give us the benefit of having hair along with the hat, instead of the blank head we’re normally treated to. Luckily, everything else about the minifig, the legs, torso, arms, are all exactly as we’d expect them. So that means some nice extended arms and legs, something very unique and full of promise. And extra props for printing on the pull string on the back of his torso!

Buzz is just spot-on for the look and style, down to the buttons. The face is just perfectly printed, complete with eyebrows and that little cleft. The only knock I have on his figure is the fact that the wings are only capable of being installed straight-out. Great if you want to recreate Buzz Flying, but most of the time, he had them down.

So really, you get an iconic set with the two main minifigs for the line, a great representation of another character. It’s a bit small, but it’s good both as a toy (pull-back car) and as Toy Story. It’s a solid, if simple, set, and a worth addition to any collection. It’s not a strong set for parting out, but to build what it comes with, you’d be hard pressed to do better.

Value: 7/10
Build Quality: 8/10
Accuracy: 7/10
Swoosh Factor: 9/10
Play Features: 9/10
Minifigs: 8/10
Reviewer’s Tilt: 10/10
Final Score (Average): 8.3
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2010/04/18/7590-woody-and-buzz-to-the-rescue/
Last edited by dWhisper on Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: Removed
Staff

Re: 7590-Woody and Buzz to the Rescue Review

Postby RocketClone » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Basicly this is a 4+ theme writeoff right here. :facepalm:
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby meeotch » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:18 pm

You didn't tilt the spoiler. For shame.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Pinhead978 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:01 pm

onions wrote:you have too many full size pictures and your pictures kind of sucked anyway

Sorry, my sister took the pictures. (She had to, because I don't have a camera, and the only way I could get the pictures for the review was if she took the pictures :roll: ) Plus, I don't know how to reduce the size of pictures. Plus, I'm only a kid. I was trying only to help. :x
Pinhead978

Postby onions » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:24 pm

How old are yo exactly?
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby BlueDragonZ » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:00 pm

Pinhead978 wrote:
onions wrote:your pictures kind of sucked anyway

Pinhead978 wrote:Plus, I'm only a kid. I was trying only to help.

Not the greatest but it was still helpful. Thanks for the review. :D
BlueDragonZ

Postby RocketClone » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:48 pm

Maybe Draykov should edit it.
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

7590 Woody and Buzz to the Rescue Review

Postby Pinhead978 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:41 pm

(dWhisper - Moving the original review to the bottom, so it's not overwritten when the front page review is posted)

Hi all! Welcome to my first review. I have made my first review special by bringing you...7590 Woody and Buzz to the Rescue! from the upcoming Toy Story (my favorite movie, not joking XD ) line. I was really excited about this. I just went to my local TRU (in the Suburban Chicagoland area, for those who are wondering) on this glorious Saturday, and much to my surprise, EVERY SET FROM THE TOY STORY LINE WAS THERE! (excluding Build-a-Zurg.) Now, onto my review of this winner.
Front of box
Back of box
Top of box
I shall start with the basic contents. There are many great pieces, including many lime green elements, and a new pull-back motor (a major plus, I might add.) Woody comes assembled in his own separate bag (but he can be taken apart in 3 pieces, BUT HIS HAT ISN'T REMOVABLE!!!!!!!!!! :facepalm: ) Special elements on Buzz are in their own separate bag too (the chest armor, the wings, the helmet, and the head.)

Special Buzz Pieces

Now for the minifigures. (WARNING: THIS PART OF THE REVIEW CONTAINS EPIC WIN.) The minifigures are just FANTASTIC. Some people may be disturbed by the long legs and arms and head on Woody, and the head on Buzz, but they work so well. Buzz comes with printed front-and-back torso and legs, and Woody the same. The minifigures truly are great, if you ignore the fact that Woody's hat is permanently attached to his head and Buzz's shield helmet comes off extremely easily.
Minifigs w/ rocket

Woody Pieces

Buzz on rocket

The build of this set is very enjoyable. R.C. comes with a lot of special parts, including the pull-back motor mentioned above. He really is a keeper, with his movie-accurate look, pull-back motor, and lime green elements. The rocket ("the Big One") is also really great. It is able to be attached to Buzz, like in the movie. The best part of the build? NO STICKERS!!! ALL PRINTED PIECES!!!!!!
R.C.

Now, the very short paragraph on playability. There's a lot of it. Period.
Whole set

Overall score:
Value: 8/10 MSRP $19.99 (TRU ripoff price: $22.99) for 92 pieces is extremely low, but the minifigs, pull-back motor, lime green, new molds, and printed pieces make up for it.
Minifigures: 9/10 Minifigs are just spectacular, yet Woody's hat is permanently attached, :S and Buzz's helmet comes off easily (but I'll let that go, since it looks great)
Build: 9.5/10 Very enjoyable. Woody comes pre-assembled, but you can just take him apart and build him again. Build is very short, but it's fun.
Playability: 10/10 It rocks. Hard. Period.
Overall: 9.5/10 (not an average) This set is awesome, and all I thought it would be. 'Nuff said.
Why it wasn't perfect: Woody's hat is permanently attached. This makes it hard to reenact certain movie scenes.

I would recommend this set to any fans of LEGO, Toy Story, creativity, or just plain fun in general. :D
Pinhead978

Re: Review: 7590 Woody and Buzz ot the Rescue

Postby dWhisper » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:07 pm

All new staff review up top!
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Re: Review: 7590 Woody and Buzz to the Rescue

Postby GIR3691 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Great reviews. :)

Could someone take a regular head and assemble a figure using those long arms and legs? Just out of curiosity, I'd like to see how they would look when used to make a really tall minifig.
>>[email protected] <<
GIR3691
Staff Writer

Postby Jargon » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:47 pm

Here's an example of just the legs: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak- ... 7199_n.jpg
Jargon

Postby Mister Ed » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:15 pm

I got this set recently, and was wondering, since it wasn't mentioned in this review, were the figs in this ALWAYS the cheaper plastic that people have come to know and hate from the collectible minifigs? The Woody in mine WAS at least (parts looked and felt like the cheaper plastic, color was a bit off, and the arms had the little indented rectangles on the inside, and I can already see stress points in the leg joints where it looks like it will crack). I was kind of disappointed to find such a thing in a regular set, and am wondering was it always like this, or did they switch in later production runs?
Mister Ed

Postby markg11cdn » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:34 am

I just put this set together the other day with my 5 year old son. I love the cool colours, printed pieces and the fact that there are no stickers. He loves the pull back and zoom function of the car.

As the reviewer says, the spoiler is way too fragile. After it and the antenna fall off, the rest of the car usually stays together while we zoom it back and forth. The weak point of the spoiler is between the hinge piece and the rest of the car. I'll probably try and rig up a better way to attach it with some technic pieces.

Overall a fun set, I picked up a few on sale in Canada for $12 and am very satisfied for that price.

cheers - mark
markg11cdn

Return to Reviews