Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

8014 - Clone Walker Battle Pack Review

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

8014 - Clone Walker Battle Pack Review

Postby dWhisper » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:09 pm

Place holder
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Re: 8014 - Clone Walker Battle Pack Review

Postby lordvader208 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:40 pm

Now, the main reason why people even get these battle packs is for the minifigs, of course. But if you are expecting a nice vehicle to go along with the minifigs, then you will probably be very disappointed. Time to review this set:

Ok, so you get four of the new clone wars style clones in this set, one of them being the clone "gunner". The addition of a special clone is nice, but many army-builders would prefer just four normal clones. The clone gunner is a pretty decent minifig with a new torso and helmet design, but I totally prefer my clone pilot from the V-19 more. The color scheme for this gunner is a little different; it is gray colored with a touch of brown, unlike the brightly colored red, blue, yellow, green, and orange that many people are used to in the more special clones. A bit odd, but the detail is very good. The other three clones look the same, except that there is one clone that is designated as the "clone commander", which is basically a normal clone fitted on with the new accessories (visor, pauldron, and kama). In my opinion, it looks awkward to put all of this on just a normal clone, so I took the pauldron and kama, painted them, and put them on my blue ARC trooper. XD This set also comes with two sets of the antenna and flashlight, but unfortunately not two sets of pauldrons and kamas, or my red ARC trooper would be wearing them by now. There is a set of dual pistols and three of the blasters that we are all used to by now. The dual pistols are supposed to be for the clone commander, but it really doesn't matter who you put them on.

Anyways, enough about the minifigs. That is just the good part. Time for the more disappointing part: the walker itself. The build was very easy, as it should be. The walker, when completed, is a good 2 inches shorter than the Clone Scout Walker that was highly popular back during the wave of ep.3 sets. Both of their color schemes are similar, mostly grey with a touch of dark red and green. I think it's nice to see other colors other than green. However, the overall look of the walker isn't so great, but then again, I was into this set for the figs. The legs are the hinges used in the previous Clone Scout Walker and there is a cannon in the front along with two flick fire missles on the sides. The walker can set two clones as well. The detail of the walker really isn't that bad, but I just don't like the overall shape of it. The Republic circular symbols are stickers, but look fine.

Overall, a nice set for the figs, if you don't really need that walker. If you want a nice vehicle and nice minifigs as well, go get the Rebel Scout Speeder. But of course, everyone needs clones. XD

Price to Parts: 7/10 (but then again, it has 4 clones)
Parts: 8/10 (nothing special here, but nothing boring either)
Availability: 8/10 (at the time i wrote this review)
Minifigs: 10/10 (who doesn't like clones? affordable clones)
Playability: 6/10 (minifigs can be playable as well)
Build: 6/10
Detail: 6/10

Overall: 7/10
lordvader208

Postby Pdragon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:57 pm

What I really hate about this set is the lame walker. But, I combined three into an AT-XT! Which, is the good part of the set. Lots clicky hinges. And some good plates.
Pdragon

Postby gfxguy » Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 am

Pdragon wrote:What I really hate about this set is the lame walker. But, I combined three into an AT-XT! Which, is the good part of the set. Lots clicky hinges. And some good plates.

Any instructions anywhere on how to do that? Or do I actually need to be creative all on my own?
gfxguy

Return to Reviews