Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

8087 TIE Defender

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

8087 TIE Defender

Postby RfAurora » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:59 pm

This is my review of the 8087 TIE Defender, purchsed this about 2-3 weeks ago.
1) Minifigs: This set comes with 2 minifigs, a standard stormtrooper and the new TIE Pilot with a new helmet. The helmet is more accurate, and looks like they took part of the molding from a Rebel Pilot helmet as it has a section at the back that doesn't fully cover the head.
2) Design/build: As with the TIE Crawler, this is a set from the EU Universe so movie purists might not get this set. First Impressions of this set is that it is a little ungainly, and wobbly when sitting on its wings. As with Darth Vader's Tie Fighter, the new anniversary edition, it sports all gray colors instead of the blue markings from older sets. The Cockpit and canopy use a new design as the wings aren't attached to the sides but a pod at the rear. Gone from previous sets is the 4x4 4peg plate from the bottom of the cockpit and the canopy opens by way of a click hinge. One design detail, which I cant figure out in this set is the Red Brick, Modified 1 x 4 with 4 Studs on One Side(copied from BL, thank you Onions for the link) behind where the pilot sits. It serves no visible function, and may possibly be an artifact from the design stage. At the back of the cockpit, we come to the "solar pod" that holds the wings on. The connection is made by an Axle 5.5 With Stop(Copied from BL) to 2 Y-shaped technic pieces. The connector at the back of the cockpit is 2 1x2 bricks with a hole in the center, making the wings able to rotate around the cockpit(from what I read on Wookieepedia.com this is not supposed to happen) and easily changed with a 1x2 brick with an axle hole. Behind the Y-technic pieces are 3 Liftarm 1 x 3 with 2 Axle Holes(BL) that connect to Brick 1 x 2 with Hole and Dual Liftarm Extensions(BL). The final piece of the Solar Pod is 2 Wheel 31mm D. x 15mm(BL) and a trans blue dish. Each of the 3 Solar Panels use a modified wing design from the TIE Interceptor. Instead of cnating inwards, the wings are canted outwards and use 45 degree technic connectors instead of the hinges with friction joints.
3) Playability: Excellent swooshability, cockpit has a tendency to rotate when inverting and looping.
4) Opinion: Overall a nice set from the extended universe, a somewhat high price point for the number of bricks. overall, minus some of the changes to be made, it has my approval, and looks nice next to my other TIE series fighters.
RfAurora

Re: 8087 TIE Defender

Postby retpitar » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:35 am

For a Lego Star Wars set, this didn't have very many pieces, but it was simple. Due to the nature of the model, it was a little repetitive, but again pretty easy to make. I made a small alteration in mine to prevent the cockpit from rotating, as I found it an unnecessary feature of the model. All in all, a very good model of my favorite starfighter. Now if only Lego would come out with the Chiss clawcraft, I'd be set.
Life is a big canvas, throw all the paint on it you can
retpitar

Return to Reviews