Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

8084 Snowtrooper Battle Pack Review

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

8084 Snowtrooper Battle Pack Review

Postby RfAurora » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:22 pm

Picked up 2 of these battle packs today since it seems to be the easiest way to get Snowies.
1) Minifigures: 2 Snowtroopers, 1 AT-AT Driver, and 1 Imperial Officer. The Snowtroopers are the same as found in the new Hoth "playset", Not sure why we have an AT-AT Driver outside of his vehicle, but a nice addition to this set. The helmet is brand new in that it has a notch at the back of the neck showing part of his head, and is a white version of the helmet found on the pilot of the TIE Defender. The Imperial Officer seems to have the same helmet as found on General Veers in the Motorized Walking AT-AT.
2) Vehicle and emplacement: This battle pack comes with a white version of the new speeder bike found in the Republic Dropship. However, instead of the rods use for the vanes found on the one in the drop ship, these speeder bikes use jousting lances. It also comes with a ground station that has a radar station for the Imperial Officer and a flick fire missle platform manned by the AT-AT driver.
3) Playability: The Speeder Bike swooshes well, and the emplacement is ok, but it doesn't seem like anything found on Hoth. Overall, another great little army builder from LEGO.
RfAurora

Re: 8084 Snowtrooper Battle Pack Review

Postby MajorRodgers » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:16 pm

I am a little disappointed with both the Rebel and Snowtrooper battle packs. I liked the Stormtrooper and Rebel Soldier battle-packs because you could build a fairly impressive army quickly. For these current battle-packs you have minfigs that are very out of place. If I am using these sets to build an army, why do I need an AT-AT drive in every pack? How many AT-ATs do they feel the average Lego collector has? I have the AT-AT and it came with a driver and so I don't need a whole pile more. One could argue that the officer is necessary to lead the snow-troopers, but he certainly does not appear to be ready for the conditions on Hoth. The snowtroopers are probably laughing their sarlaccs off at the Imperal Officer, who as usual, is completely unprepared for combat. The Rebel pack is marginally better, but why a Rebel Pilot? How many Zev Senescas do I need? I was so looking forward to a snowtrooper battle-pack and I feel Lego kind of let me down. The snowtroopers are great, but I would rather have four snowtroopers.
Last edited by MajorRodgers on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MajorRodgers

Postby The Brick8 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:41 am

I picked up both of these sets, and I was slightly dissapointed. For the snowtrooper pack, I was surprised to see only 2 snowtroopers, and a Imperial officer in the place of possibly another. I think they should of left him out, and put in another snowtrooper, because he is kind of useless. I feel the same about the AT-AT pilot, because unless you can afford 6 AT-AT's, then he is just sitting there. But the new helmet design is a nice touch, very detailed, and I'm glad they used a black head-piece. Anyways, enough of my ranting on the minifigures.

As for the speeder bike, I was surprised the used the jousting lance things, instead of the vanes in other speeder bikes. Though I must say, even though the color is out of place in my collection, it still looks pretty neat.

The little base thing was probably a way to make the set more reasonable in piece count. It wouldn't help in battle, if you like playing pretend battles like I sometimes do. The missle thing is kind of strange, and I thought it was funny that they were using a radar piece for the computer screen. But, at least it gives the AT-AT pilot, and the Imperial Officer something to do.

I give this set a 6/10. A good way to get guys that have cost a fortune to get in other sets.
The Brick8

Postby Mofo Jones » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:08 am

I wish it was 4 Snowtroopers as well. Of course, with new designs for the AT-AT driver and the Veers/AT-AT Commander, it pretty much confirms that there's going to be a new AT-AT this year. I know that a new set is old news to many of us on here, but seeing the new designs kind of ruins the mystery of what new figs will be included with the new AT-AT. At least with 4 snowtroopers, you'd have ground forces for the Hoth battle. I might get another one of these sets, but I'd almost rather wait for a sale on Echo Base and deal with too many Hoth Hans. Snowtroopers, Rebel Troopers without "big helmets" , tauntauns and turrets = happy me :D
Will Tactically Consult for money, food or LEGO.
Mofo Jones
Staff Writer

Postby MajorRodgers » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:44 pm

Mofo,

That is exactly what I did. I have four echo bases and of course that means I have four Tauntauns and Han Solos. But I also have a bunch of e-Webs, snowtroopers and rebel soldiers. I agree with everyone that the new designs for the AT-AT driver and Imperial Officer are nice, but they should not have been in the battle pack. I am trying to put together a Hoth diorama and I don't need that many AT-AT drivers and Imperial Officers, I need snowtroopers and rebel scum.
MajorRodgers

Postby meeotch » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:49 pm

One has to wonder if including 2 "unusable" minifigs in an army builder isn't simply a ploy to separate us from double the money we would have spent on battle packs.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby RocketClone » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:44 pm

My problem with the battlepacks is that, you can't make an alternative with either battlepack, Plus in both packs you get at least 1 main character.
(Insert funny sig later)
RocketClone

Postby MajorRodgers » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:43 am

meeotch wrote:One has to wonder if including 2 "unusable" minifigs in an army builder isn't simply a ploy to separate us from double the money we would have spent on battle packs.

Good point. I am not sure about everyone else, but I was really looking forward to the Stormtrooper battle pack ever since the Hoth Rebel Base was released. Together with the AT-AT and AT-STs, I was hoping to get enough Stormtroopers to "recreate" the battle for Hoth. Very disappointed with the composition of the pack and you are right, it would cost me twice as much to build my Army. Good for Lego, bad for me.
MajorRodgers

Return to Reviews