Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

7119 - Twin-Pod Cloud Car Review

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

7119 - Twin-Pod Cloud Car Review

Postby AFOSL » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:27 am

Like a lot of things in the Star Wars universe, the Twin Pod Cloud car is of a peculiar design that doesn't quite lend itself well to Lego. This certainly shows in this model which represents a good overall effort, but makes you think that it could have probably been done better. A slight increase in size would help and possibly expand the range of pieces from which to use in it's construction.
Luckily enough, this set was released during the 2002 line up, a time that Lego had started to introduce new elements. Some of these are included in this kit and help it come close to the look of it's movie counterpart. It is certainly recognizable.

Construction is quick and shouldn't pose any problems. The instructions are laid out in Lego's usual manner - that is, they are of the high standard I have come to expect from Lego - clear and precise.
Both pods are built at the same time, being mirror opposites connected by a central beam and power plant. Both pods have access hatches to the side and their tops are also hinged. The central engine unit is also hinged, so can be opened, but there is no detail inside. Very strange.
Although the front section of the pods are sleek and smooth, the rear section and cockpits soon turn into a pile of standard Lego bricks and have a very boxy look to them. It's a shame the sleekness isn't carried back from the nose into this area of the craft. Improvements could certainly be made should this ship ever get a re-release.

The Minifigure is new and exclusive to the cloud car. Here we have Lobot, the cyborg aid to Lando Calrissian from the movie, The Empire Strikes Back.
To be strict, Lobot was never seen flying a cloud car in the movie, but it is still nice that he is included here and recognized by Lego. The minifigure also carries a CB radio, something the movie counterpart never had or needed, due to his cyborg implants. The Lobot minifigure carries the faintest hint of a smile, and it's debatable as to whether or not Lobot ever smiled.
A true cloud car pilot or two would have been a nice addition to this set and would have filled the empty pod, made the model more movie accurate, and improved it's overall value.

Because this model is so ambiguous with regards to it's merits and it's shortfalls in it's design and presentation, I found it a little hard to judge. It's neither so bad that you shouldn't own it, nor so good that it's the best design Lego could come up with for this set. There is certainly a lot of room for improvements.
AFOSL

Re: 7119 - Twin-Pod Cloud Car Review

Postby Mister Ed » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:48 am

I always wondered why they didn't use orange pieces for this.

And I always wished, since they were going the "random Cloud City denizen that never flew a Cloud Car" route with the minifigures, that they had gone ahead and included Lando. I'm kind of bummed that the only Lando I have is disguised as a Skiff Guard. Never could bring myself to shell out for the Cloud City set, and am unlikely to get Home One. Sigh.
Mister Ed

Postby Draykov » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:01 pm

A re-designed, orange cloud car with a Lando fig might not be a bad idea. That said, I loved the original. $9.99 MSRP and I got a few on sale when KB was going under. Nifty little set with awesome swooshability and solid, if a bit dated, design.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby MrCRskater » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:32 pm

I second all motions. One of my favorite little sets, great to have in any collection, and a bummer that they have yet to redesign it in orange. I, for one, would love to see a reissue of this sweet little vehicle.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby onions » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 pm

needs to be in burnt orange.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby AFOSL » Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:25 pm

If the prelim pictures are correct the upcoming Slave 1 seems to have a burnt orange colour for some pieces. A newly designed cloud car could make use of that colour.
AFOSL

Postby onions » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:34 pm

right on. a new cloud car in that color would be sweet. it desparately needs a redesign.
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby BigBenKenobi » Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:05 pm

onions wrote:right on. a new cloud car in that color would be sweet. it desparately needs a redesign.

Honestly, I can say this was one of my favorite sets I ever purchased. I don't know why, but the simplicity of the entire set and the Lobot minifigure just made the set great. And yes, a redesign seems like it would be on the horizon...but then again, a new cloud city would be wonderful as well ;) .
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Return to Reviews