Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

8038 - Endor Battle Review

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

8038 - Endor Battle Review

Postby gratefulnat » Sun May 31, 2009 2:23 pm

This set contains 890 pieces, 12 minifigs, 6 computer screen/control panel prints (no stickers), comes in a tear-at-the-corners-and-flip-up-the-top box with a lot of air :( , with two instruction booklets (84/62 pages). The parts-bags are numbered one too three :) , which makes sense with this piececount as it is a great playset and I'm sure a lot of kids will be building it.

Bag 1: Minifigs and accessories
- Chewbacca, Han Solo, 2 Scouts as in ealier sets.
- Imperial trooper, R2-D2 (silver head) as in 10188.
- 2 Rebel Commandos and princess Leia, all three come with new torso prints. Leia also has a new hairdo (mine came with a hole in the middle, so I bet there will be a new Leia keychain later on, but LEGO is sending a replacement.) plus the rebels have different faces. I think the bearded one is completely new and the other is the same as D.V.'s apprentice from set 7672 Rogue Shadow. The Rebels' helmets have some nice details, really like them, just hope they don't lose any of their clutching power over time. Their backpacks are dark green tooth parts, looks o.k.
- The Ewoks: Palpoo, Wicket, Chief Chirpa. Their heads are molded very well, good details, and the facial colorings (lips, nose, eyes, decorations on the head scarves) really jump out. The eyes, as others have mentioned, are actually a little creepy and make them look a little evil in my opinion, other than that they're great new figures. Plus Chief Chirpa has a neat little staff.

- The catapult is simple but quite sturdy, and it flings those stones right across the room. I'd say LEGO's best mini-catapult to date. It has clips for the spear and bow as well, so if they're not being held they won' get lost.

- The speeder bikes are as in set 7676 CW Gunship, except they added a 2x3 plate where the backpack is attached, so ther's a 2x2 space where you can seat a second figure.

- The glider's body is much sleeker than in the old ewok attack, and holds up very well. A barrel is held in place by a clipped on droid arm, so when flying around you won't lose your ammo. I like the form of the new wings, which are made out of that stiff cloth material. It comes with a clear translucent stand which works fine.

Bag 2: AT-ST
I believe this is LEGO's best AT-ST to date. The proportions are close to the real thing, and it looks good from all sides, not at all chunky or blocky. Nice mixture of parts: technic, wings, tiles, clip-hinges (?sorry, don't know a better term?) and parts for detailing. It comes with a flickfire, surprisingly the head didn't fall apart when flicking, but I'm not a fan of them. The head attaches to the rest of the body with a 'round turret swivel plate', which unluckily offers no resistance so the head can swivel around all on its own. Once I got it all together and standing, it was pretty wobbily, but it hasn't fallen over yet...The legs move in opposite directions by turning a cog at the back, I have to say I think it looks quite ridiculous, but also absolutely hilarious (reminds me of Monty Python's 'Ministry of Silly Walks' - check it out on youtube, I think it's very funny), but it's also a nifty technic build. To use this function you have to lift the AT-ST up in the air and hold it by its head and turn the cog, and I was happily surprised as it didn't fall apart while walking it, so the model is sturdier than it first appeared to me. The one thing missing in my opinion is a computer print for inside the cockpit, all you get is a plain sloping 2x2 brick. I like it. But when it ends up in battle, the wobbliness will be it's weak point.

Bag 3: The bunker
The build is not too complcated, except for the spring-release function (four shock-absorbers are used) used for blowing out the four corner side panels, which is triggered by pressing down the round plates on the roof. It works very well, good job LEGO! The rest of the side panels are just inserted into the bunker frame, so you can knock those out by hand as well if you want to blow it all up >:) . The bunker doors are opened by turning two seperate cogs, so you have to open them seperately or use both hands, a shame as I think it would look cooler with both doors sliding open at the same time by using only one cog - minor complaint, buildwise probably difficult to accomplish.

You get a whole bunch of sloping/inverted sloping bricks for the bunker, plus some nice dark green plates, and SIX prints for the command center (so why not for the AT-ST, LEGO?) and the field generator is built with four orange cones, so the interior is a little too sparse for me, but then again the fun is in adding them oneself. The two side walls can be opened out, which I always like because you get to change the scene around. They lock into position by clipping onto the inside front wall, and when I tried to open them out I pulled the wall to pieces. Other than that I'm very pleased with the bunker. It's fun, and looks good.

Summary:
This is a really fun playset, so if you don't want your kids blowing it up all the time when you're not blowing it up :) , you better put it out of reach. Great minifigs, those ewoks are special, and the rebels look awesome. For playing and/or collecting I really reccomend it, and it was a fun build.
'You can't hold on and you can't let go
If the thunder don't get you then the lightning will'
gratefulnat

Re: 8038 - Endor Battle

Postby Andi » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:22 am

Thank you for this very detailed Review!
I recently had the box in my hands, but put it back on the shelf. But now after your review, I might get it :-)
What i miss at this set is a baseplate and some trees/bushes/green stuff around. The Endor feeling is a bit missing I think.
But then, it should be easy to add all this by oneself.
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby Andi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:56 am

Where your Ewoks packed in extra bags as well?
~Andi

Flickr
Andi

Postby gratefulnat » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:52 pm

Yes they were, just like the tauntaun. Hope you're enjoying it as much as I am.
gratefulnat

Postby Jedd the Jedi » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:57 pm

Thanks for the great review. I am waiting with bated breath for this set to arrive in Singapore, and even then I need to convince my Dad to allow me to get it. Your review is doing nothing to curb my rabid enthusiasm! >:)
Jedd the Jedi

Postby gratefulnat » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:15 am

Jedd the Jedi wrote: Your review is doing nothing to curb my rabid enthusiasm! >:)

I can live with that XD .

off topic
Funny seeing you mention being in Singapore. I just traded a chrome vader for a snowtrooper keychain with a guy living in Singapore, who I met through brickset.

Wouldn't happen to be you, would it?
gratefulnat

Postby BrickMonkey » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:03 pm

After seeing this set in an enclosed store display I have a couple of questions...

1) The front and back halves of the speeders appear to be connected by a single clip. Will the front half tend to wiggle horizontally around that connection?

2) How well do the clips for locking-in the bunker walls work? Are those clips at risk of breaking with repeated opening/closing of those wall sections?

Thanks in advance for any answers.
BrickMonkey

Postby banthafodder » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:30 pm

I believe the speeder bike has the same connection as the speeder in the gunship which has not had any problems that I am aware of.
banthafodder

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:22 am

BrickMonkey wrote:2) How well do the clips for locking-in the bunker walls work? Are those clips at risk of breaking with repeated opening/closing of those wall sections?

There are no clips. The wall pieces are simply resting against springs which are wedged under the push-button mechanism. When you push the button this dislodges the springs and their "springing" knocks the plates out.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby BrickMonkey » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:32 am

Gingerbeard Man wrote:There are no clips. The wall pieces are simply resting against springs which are wedged under the push-button mechanism. When you push the button this dislodges the springs and their "springing" knocks the plates out.

Those are not the parts I'm talking about. I mean the wall sections which hinge outwards.
BrickMonkey

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:22 am

BrickMonkey wrote:Those are not the parts I'm talking about. I mean the wall sections which hinge outwards.

Ok, slight misunderstanding :x

The clips are the 1x1 brick with clip pieces, which are quite solid compared to the older 1x1 plates with clip. (But it seems current plates have the same thick clip as the bricks).

That single clip in the side wall section connects to the thin part of a telescope piece which is built into the front wall.

Personally I find the clip too stiff and I worry every time that the walls might disintegrate as I apply more and more force until the sections finally come apart or click together. I don't think the clip piece itself will break, but depending on where you are holding the set as you push or pull you might end up with loose pieces in your hands.

Another dissapointment is the little section in the middle with the consoles and seats. It is only attached to the rest of the bunker by two single studs - one each in the corners joining it to the front section.

I don't see any real need for the clips on the side sections anyway. Over the years LEGO has designed plenty of hinged buildings without any means of locking the sections together. Unless you have the set suspended at some weird angle there is no reason why the sections would move from any position you left them in.
(However I do recall an old low-tech solution - simply slap a 1x2 plate across the two sections to keep them in place!)
Gingerbeard Man

Postby BrickMonkey » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:00 am

Thank you. That answers one of my concerns pretty well.

How about the speeders? I realize they're the same as the gunship one, but I don't have that either. With the single clip connecting the front section to the rest, can the front part swivel horizontally where they connect? Or does the nature of the connection lock the front in place so it will stay pointing forwards?
BrickMonkey

Postby Gingerbeard Man » Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:24 am

BrickMonkey wrote:With the single clip connecting the front section to the rest, can the front part swivel horizontally where they connect? Or does the nature of the connection lock the front in place so it will stay pointing forwards?

The front of the speeder can indeed swivel to a certain extent. It just happens to be limited by a 2x2 plate below it. When that plate hits the motorcycle body it acts as a stopper.

So the front section can wiggle slightly by a few degrees. Just enough to look "not quite straight" depending on how you handled the speeder. ;) I've often found myself having to straighten it out a little after putting it back on the shelf.
Gingerbeard Man

Postby BrickMonkey » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:54 am

Gingerbeard Man wrote:The front of the speeder can indeed swivel to a certain extent. It just happens to be limited by a 2x2 plate below it. When that plate hits the motorcycle body it acts as a stopper.

So the front section can wiggle slightly by a few degrees. Just enough to look "not quite straight" depending on how you handled the speeder. ;) I've often found myself having to straighten it out a little after putting it back on the shelf.

Thanks Gingerbeard Man. Sounds like it doesn't wiggle enough to be much of a problem.I'll probably end up getting this set, but I may wait until it goes on sale.
BrickMonkey

Postby cfl_sw » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:11 am

Thank you for the review. Even though this is a recent set something about it has a classic feeling. It is one of my favorites for sure.
Last edited by cfl_sw on Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cfl_sw

Postby Dalek Caan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:20 am

Yah! Another AT ST!

But seriously, great review. Anyone have some pictures of the bunker? I can't access the page on LEGO.com.

Nice Ewoks, but those headpeices look a little too MB for me...
Dalek Caan

Postby MR NOODLEGUY » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:42 pm

Ive wanted this set after seeing it, thanks for the review!
xbox live:MR N00DLEGUY
MR NOODLEGUY

Postby SuperDave » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:39 am

Dalek Caan wrote:Anyone have some pictures of the bunker? I can't access the page on LEGO.com.

Try searching here and you'll find some.
SuperDave

Postby Dalek Caan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:31 am

Thanks, and I finally got hold of the set!

I won't really review it as other people have already done a great job. I love this set, as it finally allows me to get fleshie han, leia and a new R2D2. I think (not sure) the the hole in the hair is big enough to allow a tiara piece from Willie Scot.
Dalek Caan

Postby Raequan » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:39 am

Great review, but I'm still trying to decide between this and the Venator. (Tight budget, you know) Which one would you recommend the most?
Raequan

Next

Return to Reviews