Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 70903 The Riddler Riddle Racer

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 70903 The Riddler Riddle Racer

Postby Staff » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:05 pm

70903-the-riddler-riddle-racer-full-set

It was pretty clear with the very first LEGO Batman movie trailer exactly what direction they were going to go with the movie... that delightful mix of reverence and absurdity that made the The LEGO Movie work so well. The early sets gave us a taste of that, the Collectible Minifigure Line turned it up to 11... but I think seeing this set was when I knew the CMF was only just starting to scratch the surface.

The craziness of the Eraser and the Calculator are matched by Calendar Man and Kite Man, and we get one of the classic villains in Riddler and one of the more contemporary ones to see some love (in Beware the Batman) in Magpie. I've built all but four of the LEGO Batman movie sets at this point, and the thing that seems to differentiate between good sets and bad sets is the amount of style and flavor that goes into the build. In reviewing 70903 The Riddler Riddle Racer, I think it's safe to say that it has style in spades.

The base vehicles have had a great amount of style, like the Lowrider and Batmobile, and when you take and mix a bunch of interesting characters, you tuck in a whole lot of value. This is one of two $29.99 sets, along with 70911 The Penguin Arctic Roller, and comes in a seemingly low 254 parts, which is offset by the four figures I mentioned above. I built both sets at the same time, and, spoiler alert... this might just be my favorite of all of the vehicles I've built so far.

I haven't been this excited about a set lineup since... I don't know, probably Toy Story or maybe the first year of the Super Heroes stuff. I'm more than a bit burnt out on all of the Star Wars rehashes and overpriced glop, and not even my love of Rogue One has gotten me excited to go buy all of those box-shaped ships. Pretty much the only licensed line I've kept up with has been Super Heroes, and that'd been slowing down a bit as well... until these Batman sets came along.

70903-the-riddler-riddle-racer-minifigures

Five figures in a $30 set is already pretty fantastic, made even moreso by the fact that, excluding Batman, they are all unique to this set. Three of them are brand new characters in the Super Heroes lineup to boot, and pretty much everything about the Riddler is new. I mean, if these were just CMF figures, you'd be at $20 just for the figures alone (and probably annoyed you got another Batman figure).

70903-kite-man

There is something gloriously absurd about Kite-Man. I mean, he has the audacity of riding around on a glider and calling it a kite. He shows up in the comics about once a decade, usually as a one-off joke or comment about the silliness of everything. He rides a Kite, the single least intimidating mode of transportation that's not a two-person swan boat in a kiddie pool. As a figure, I love that smile, and as far as I'm aware, this is the only time a minifigure has featured lime-green handsEdit: Nope, they originated with the Toy Story aliens that I own like thirty of and failed to notice.

70903-kite-man-alt-face

The kite isn't all that bad, but has the unfortunate effect of making the figure impossible to stand up without positioning him awkwardly or putting him on some sort of base. The bendy-plastic element used for the handles, which may have been used somewhere else, but is new to me, works well over some weird handles.

70903-the-riddler

Look at this figure... since the original Darth Vader I'm not sure there's been a figure that was such a fantastic mix of the source material and the LEGO style. This is a great stylistic mash-up of Classic '66, Batman TAS, and just a bit of LEGO style. The suit feels like something Frank Gorshin would wear, and I just love that the question marks are printed on his arms. Top it off with the staff and the question-mark topper and... sigh

70903-the-riddler-alt-face

If I was to knock it for anything, it's that the hat is so awesome I wish the hair was a bit closer cropped. I'm not sure of a Riddler variety where the hair was so big. Not even Jim Carey's awful turn at the character had such a shaggy look. That alt-face, though, is exactly what I imagine him looking like when I'm playing the Arkham games and generally ignoring a Riddler clue.

70903-batman

You know, is it too much to ask for a Batman character that comes with two-dozen batarangs so he can hit the switch on the first try? Or should I just add up the two-dozen Batman figures I already have?

70903-calendar-man

You know, I get that Calendar Man is an actual obscure Batman Villain, attacking people with the power of a two-thousand year old system of arbitrarially marking the passing of time inaccurately. But I see that name and my mind goes straight to humming They Might Be Giant's Particle Man. I know, nothing related to Calendar Man, but you could see a bonus verse in that song easily.

70903-calendar-man-broken-down

In the comics, he plans everything around major dates and holidays, which is a bad idea in today's general social and political climate (that's when all the extra special warnings come out). As a minifigure... he's got a two-piece cape and a red hat. While not quite as obscure as the Kabuki Twins, he's probably less known outside of joking articles. You just have to love the look and feel of the character.

70903-magpie

Magpie is a character that's probably best known for her turn in Beware the Batman, though she's been around in some form much longer than that (like almost all of the characters we've seen so far... other than the Twins). This feels like a bit more mature version of the character, but certainly has some of that general look, especially the hair, but the costume is far more conservative than the BtB version we saw.

70903-magpie-alt-face

I'm not a huge fan of the armor piece of the minifigure, but I suppose it's better than the printing handling that. The small hips printing also looks weird on the dress section, and I wish she was closer to the BtB costume and wearing pants instead. Or maybe go like some of the other ones that we've gotten and give her a cloth skirt over the legs instead of a slope. The slopes look okay, but pop off the minifigs too easily and rarely match up to the printing.

70903-riddle-racer

I'm not a big car guy, to be honest, but you have to love the style of a classic car. The Riddle Racer is a very 60s roadster that just oozes style and gets a very unique shape compared to pretty much every other car I've seen in LEGO. There is just something that's fantastic about the flow of this model, and how complete it feels overall. It's striking, especially when you place it next to... well, anything.

70903-riddle-racer-back

That cockpit glass over the engine is a great touch, and they get a good shape with a limited part selection. While a lot of LEGO cars suffer from only having a single driver, in a car like this it makes total sense. I kind of wish we got a bit of flat silver or chrome for some of the parts, like the cylinders and the "mirrors" (represented by rope rappel devices), but those are fairly nitpicks. I'm thinking I might get some chrome parts in the aftermarket to tweak it a bit, just it just feels so right when you play with it.

70903-riddle-racer-front

The front is a bit boxy, but that's caused by the very unique lamps on the front that includes trans-yellow windscreens (a first), and the riddle sticker on a flag part). I like the intake look, but will admit it looks a bit strange compared to the slope look of the rest... but I still enjoy it. I do wish there was something a bit more inside it, or maybe I'm missing a play feature or something built into it.

70903-riddle-racer-side

There is a play feature in the flick fires, hidden nicely on a tilting mechanism under the engine. This is the sort of missile launcher that I really like, where they integrate into the existing build without adding a ton of needless bulk or displacing other important parts. The engine needed to be there, and so did the back bulk... this just added an axis to raise and lower and the flick-fire bricks themselves.

I still have the other sets in the same price range to review, but this might displace the Batmobile for my favorite set of the line thus far. A very solid car that looks nice and unique, three brand new minifigs, a new version of the Riddler, and another Batman to add to the pile of Batmans for the rest of the heroes to hide behind... all in a $30 package. If there was ever a set that showed you cannot judge by part count alone, this one certainly is it. Worth every dime of the cost, I'm calling this one a very easy five out of five.

What I Liked

• Calendar Man, Kite Man, and Magpie, and the Riddler make for a great minifigure lineup...

• Car just looks nice, has a definite style, and looks nice next to the other vehicles

• Some very nice parts, including some colors new to any set

What I Didn't Like

• Boring old Batman figure... wish they'd use these sets as an excuse to give us more Bat Suit varieties

• The front of the car, where the windows are used, are noticeably blockier than the rest of the build

• Would have preferred a few parts to come in flat silver to match the aesthetic a bit better

Verdict: 5 out of 5. You can, and should, buy 70903 The Riddler Riddle Racer right now on Lego Shop@Home.

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2017/01/04/review-70903-the-riddler-riddle-racer/
Staff

Re: Review: 70903 The Riddler Riddle Racer

Postby rushiosan » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:33 pm

Alien Conquest and Toy Story lines brought lime green hands to the table. If I remember correctly, there are a couple Ninjago figures with that color of hands too.

Pretty good set overall. I'm not a fan of racing cars but this set got me sold after seeing its minifigure lineup. An exclusive Robin would've made it even better.
rushiosan

Postby dWhisper » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:24 am

I think those were actually all bright green. I was checking on Bricklink, and it didn't list anything on there. I'm not always clear on that divide between the off-shades, so maybe they're all the same color, who knows.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby preterosso » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:46 am

Is the kite handle piece the same as the taun taun reins? I always thought that piece had more potential.
_______
Just Phil
preterosso

Postby Flynn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:44 am

While not quite as obscure as the Kabuki Twins, he's probably less known outside of joking articles. You just have to love the look and feel of the character.

That probably depends on if people are familiar with "Long Halloween", which utilized him in a fairly unique fashion (it's hard for me to judge how entirely well-known the book is--it's not obscure by any means, but not really something I feel a non-Batman fan would be too familiar with).
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Trooper10 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:15 pm

Nerd Alert: The car definitely evokes the swoopy curves and big headlights of a 1960s Le Mans racer like the original GT40 or the big yellow headlights on front reminiscent of an early '70s Ferrari but I suspect the designers may have had a car buff who knows about a kit car by Sterling (with many different names around the world).

BTW I just picked up a few LBM sets at close to 20% off at Walmart - their prices are all over the place from a few cents off MSRP to around 17% or 18%.
Trooper10

Postby rodiziorobs » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:23 pm

dWhisper wrote:I think those were actually all bright green. I was checking on Bricklink, and it didn't list anything on there. I'm not always clear on that divide between the off-shades, so maybe they're all the same color, who knows.

There was one of the Ultra Agents villains who had lime hands--the computer hacker guy. I think the toxic waste girl may have also, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for the informative and entertaining review; I may not get this set (I'm a miser when it comes to MSRP), but it has moved over to the "maybe" column of planned purchases this year.
See more on my Flickr page.
rodiziorobs

Postby Flynn » Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:09 pm

joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby paulmison » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:43 pm

Flynn got there first with the note about lime hands in the Toy Story alien, but if you're interested in that sort of thing, the book by the owner of monofigs.com may be of interest. https://issuu.com/monofigs/docs/ebook
paulmison

Postby Sharpie Clone » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:35 pm

I'll be honest with you, when I first saw this set, I wasn't interested at all. I'm boring with my color palate (like the SW sets) and a lot of green didn't really interest me. The car was okay, but just wasn't that interesting to me and then aside from Batman and Riddler (which I have variations for both), the other characters were obscure so I didn't care for them. However, this is the second glowing review I have seen for the set. And after getting a better feel for what Lego is doing with TLBM sets and minifigs, it now makes sense to me and I very much like it. Money is an issue for getting a bunch of sets and space is a bigger issue where I live, so I'm not sure I will jump on it, but it's very tempting and I definitely see the strengths of it now.
Sharpie Clone

Postby dWhisper » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:46 pm

Apparently I just suck at navigating the new interface over there. I don't like how all of the color filter options have been moved or hidden, but yeah I missed it (and updated the article).

And just figured out why I couldn't find it. They put the filter list at the bottom of the page, and if you set it to "Thumbnails"... you know, so it's useful, the page ends up dying before it finishes loading (or just crashed your browser tab). So, my mistake, thanks for the correction.
dWhisper

Postby MCoad » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:31 am

Flynn wrote:
While not quite as obscure as the Kabuki Twins, he's probably less known outside of joking articles. You just have to love the look and feel of the character.

That probably depends on if people are familiar with "Long Halloween", which utilized him in a fairly unique fashion (it's hard for me to judge how entirely well-known the book is--it's not obscure by any means, but not really something I feel a non-Batman fan would be too familiar with).

I came to superheroes via movies and video games, but I know Calendar Man from Batman: Arkham City. He looks considerably different from this version of course, but still, seems to me the Arkham games are pretty well known.
MCoad

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:46 am

For the vast majority of people, the only interaction they have with Batman (or any Super Hero) will be through movies and television. Even when you're talking exposure and numbers, there is a basic hierarchy to how people know about a product... to compare some Batman products...

Movies - The Last Nolan film made a bit more than 1 bil total at the box office, and about 400m of that was domestic. Roughly, you could break that down to, say, 30 million or so who saw it in the theaters in the US. Once you mix in disc and sales and rentals, that probably triples or more.

Television - This one is a lot harder to pin down, but most cartoons of this ilk, like Beyond the Batman that I mentioned above, average between 500 million - 2 million viewers when first broadcast in the US. Those numbers are affected by a ton of things, like where it's broadcast (Rebels averages around the 500m mark, but broadcasts on Disney XD... Gotham on Fox typically pulls in 6 million or more... cable is weird). But cartoons are also a lot more impactful to a certain age, which overlaps with LEGO's target page.

Video Games - This one is a bit harder to track, but the Arkham games have been successful, but that's also something that needs context. Arkham Knight, the most recent, sold a total of about 5 million, which is probably the high point of the series... but the most recent also had an M rating, and the previous ones T... so they don't really overlap with the market for this. Ironically, the best selling Batman games of all time are the Batman games (LEGO Batman 3 has outsold the entire Arkham series), so it's far more likely for kids that recognize them from video games to think of characters from there, not from the Arkham one.

Comics - There's a reason why stuff marketed to nerds directly fail. Add up all the Batman comic sales in a particular month and it's probably less than 300 thousand sales across all titles. He may be a comic hero, but more people watch the new Batman movie on opening day than purchase Batman comics over the course of an entire year.
dWhisper

Postby MCoad » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:31 pm

dWhisper wrote:For the vast majority of people, the only interaction they have with Batman (or any Super Hero) will be through movies and television. Even when you're talking exposure and numbers, there is a basic hierarchy to how people know about a product... to compare some Batman products...

Good points. That puts it into perspective.
MCoad

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:58 pm

We're always the exceptions as AFOLs. We're more likely to consume the things through different media. We're even the exception within the LEGO world, honestly, since we are certainly not the target market for LEGO.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:29 pm

As a figure, I love that smile, and as far as I'm aware, this is the only time a minifigure has featured lime-green hands. Edit: Nope, they originated with the Toy Story aliens that I own like thirty of and failed to notice.

Only thirty? Amateur...

dWhisper wrote:I think those were actually all bright green. I was checking on Bricklink, and it didn't list anything on there. I'm not always clear on that divide between the off-shades, so maybe they're all the same color, who knows.

http://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/cat ... =8#T=C&C=8

Click the color swatches in the far right column to see what sets/minifigs different colors came with (except the Comic-Con Green Lantern, who very definitely had regular green hands and torso, not bright-green as Bricklink currently claims). For plain body parts, Chewbacca is always a great entry point to access specific bits like hands, arms, loose torso, or solid-color legs.

Donnie and Mikey from TMNT, the CMF Godzilla dude, Mighty Micros Hulk and Green Goblin, Lou Ferigno, and Toxikita with armor are the only minifigs that came with bright-green hands. All four Claw Aliens, all five Alien Conquest aliens (including the CMF queen), four other CMFs, three Chima spiders, three Ultra Agents villains, the Monster Fighters swamp creature, the Wicked Witch, Oola, Davy Jones (SpongeBob, not PotC) and Brainiac all came with lime-green hands.

dWhisper wrote:We're always the exceptions as AFOLs. We're more likely to consume the things through different media. We're even the exception within the LEGO world, honestly, since we are certainly not the target market for LEGO.

Eh, that certainly was true in the 1900's, but it has increasingly gotten less definite over the last 15 years or so. The UCS sets were pretty pointedly aimed at adults (no or very few play features, complex builds that many people take days/weeks/months to complete, designed to be displayed on a shelf, priced way higher than the perceived target market could support), so elements within the company have been catering to the adult market for several years even if it took a lot longer for the company as a whole to start figuring that out. The Expert Builder sets, and in particular the Modular series and the larger cousins of the Architecture sets, are also pretty clearly aimed at an older target market than usual. Even Dimensions has gotten in on that action of late, with a large range of 80's properties being represented within the game. And don't even try to claim that the Comic-Con minifigs are targeted at kids.

There was a long-standing disagreement on just how much of the market AFOLs represented. The LEGO Company claimed it was only a few percentage points of the overall market, while AFOLs were dead certain that we accounted for over half of their sales. The truth was somewhere in between, as they were able to figure out via VIP tracking and various online polls. AFOLs account for a fairly small percentage of the overall customer base (around 5%, I think), but we spend a lot more on average so we're actually something like 25-30% of the total sales. Facing irrefutable proof, they do seem to have started adapting to that information.
Everything is Batman! Except Adam West.
PurpleDave

Postby darth_fett » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:32 pm

All this arguing over lime green vs bright green hands, my oh my! I honestly had no idea there was a difference. If you asked me to open LDD & select lime green hands, I'd probably be just as likely to select bright green. I was marveling more over the fact the op didn't recognize the tauntaun reins. But that's the rub, isn't it? If (s)he never bought the same sets I have, they wouldn't know, would they? It wasn't a wide release over several lines trying to force feed it to us like lime (bright?) green cheese slopes.

I'm still trying to decide if I like the giant headlights. I wanna say yes, but it feels like there should be something visible under them that looks like a bulb, too. Or they should pop open and fire missiles, maybe. That's initially where I thought the spring-fires would come out. I really love the design of this Riddler, I just wish the handle matched the bright (lime?) green cane topper.
darth_fett

Postby PurpleDave » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:50 pm

darth_fett wrote:All this arguing over lime green vs bright green hands, my oh my! I honestly had no idea there was a difference. If you asked me to open LDD & select lime green hands, I'd probably be just as likely to select bright green.

LDraw includes not only a color swatch but a color name when you're switching a part to a new color. I suppose LDD may be complicated by the absolutely nonsensical color names that The LEGO Company likes to use (trans-brown my eye).

I was marveling more over the fact the op didn't recognize the tauntaun reins. But that's the rub, isn't it?

The rub is actually that the Taun-Taun is a SW creature, and this site was originally started to keep people up to date on LEGO Star Wars news. I figured everyone on staff here owned at least one LEGO Taun-Taun.

If (s)he never bought the same sets I have, they wouldn't know, would they? It wasn't a wide release over several lines trying to force feed it to us like lime (bright?) green cheese slopes.

The Taun-Taun came in four Hoth sets in 2009, 2011, 2013, and 2016. Of those four, I believe at least the first two were very popular (and the last one not so much). I know the reins have been used in MOCs before (though I can't recall any specifics), but this is actually the first set to include them that doesn't have the words "Hoth" or "Echo Base" in the set name.

I really love the design of this Riddler, I just wish the handle matched the bright (lime?) green cane topper.

Bright green. And it's not at all unusual for a cane-topper to be a different color than the rest of the cane, though a quick search shows that most fan-made Riddler canes are either all gold or all green. If they'd made the topper in either trans-bright green or trans-neon green, it'd probably look less unusual, but bright-green is actually a pretty good match for some varieties of jade (more jadeite than nephrite, I think), in which case a metal cane shaft would be far less prone to breaking.

Speaking of Riddler, Nick, if you want to see a Riddler with shaggy hair (shaggier than this, even), read Brian Azzarello's excellent "Joker" graphic novel. That is, hands down, the coolest, and least-likely-to-ever-appear-as-an-official-LEGO-minifig-outside-of-SDCC Riddler that has ever been written. Also, your Riddler is presenting his cane backwards.
PurpleDave

Postby dWhisper » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:20 pm

I think the coloring of the cane is meant to match the ? printed on the suit as well. They're a similar shade, but look darker because of the color the're printed on. Nothing about him is really lime green, just dark green, green, and bright green. For a printed suit, that makes perfect sense hitting those shade variations.

Also, I own two Taun-Tauns; I even reviewed it once back in 2011 for that Echo Base set. My exact line was: "Our taun-taun friend introduced in the last Echo 'Base' has only had one minor change made… he’s been given a soft plastic, movable, tail. He seems happy about that."

I seriously doubt I've had him or the original one out of their storage bag since I did that review. There's been nothing innovative or interesting from the Hoth sets since that set, I don't think, and I rarely buy sets from that sub-sub-theme unless I'm going to review them.

So, while the part ultimately wasn't new to me, I honestly didn't remember it (and even remarked that it seems like it's been used elsewhere). Despite the fact that I've probably written a hundred or more reviews at this point, and I've built probably ten times that many sets... I don't remember the parts a whole lot of the time. When something sticks out as I'm building it, I make a note and try to look it up. Unfortunately, back when I was writing this, the Bricklink inventory wasn't available, so I was mostly browsing around to try and find things (thus, the miss on the green hands).

I write these reviews for fun and to share things about the sets and get people talking, knowing full well I'm going to mess up a detail or two. And while long-ago FBTB was formed as a Star Wars site, it long since grew out of that vein. The purpose as it's been for the decade I've been here is to cover licensed themes as a whole. Party because just covering Star Wars would leave us with very little to cover, more because we're all nerds and have a wide variety of tastes.

Honestly, for my part... Star Wars has been on the wane as something I collect for a long time. The line is stagnant and boring, for the most part, and the rehash cycle and the increasing prices have meant I'm more selective with purchases. I've been working on an opinion article on that topic for awhile, so look for that sometime in the near future. I was excited for the Force Awakens sets, but can't say the Rogue One sets did much for me. I haven't purchased a set in that theme since May, and probably won't get any until the March stuff comes out and I do my annual run through the battle packs and Yoda's fighter (Battle Packs and Jedi Starfighters are my thing, I guess).

The reason I review a lot of the Super Heroes sets, other than being a big comic book nerd, is that it's the line that's been doing more exciting things as of late. I'm extremely excited about The Batman Movie, and the sets have been very fun to build and review. This will probably be the first series since the LEGO movie that we actually review all of the sets for, and there are more hits than misses in it.
dWhisper

Postby PurpleDave » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:53 pm

dWhisper wrote:I think the coloring of the cane is meant to match the ? printed on the suit as well. They're a similar shade, but look darker because of the color the're printed on. Nothing about him is really lime green, just dark green, green, and bright green. For a printed suit, that makes perfect sense hitting those shade variations.

Yeah, they don't really seem to understand the concept of dark deco. Paint comes in one color, and is treated as one color, no matter what base color it's applied over. Probably the absolute worst result I've ever seen is Gizmo wearing Smurf pants, but I know there was a SpongeBob set with an orange vehicle where they printed orange on trans-black for the round portholes, and the windows looked shockingly different from the other orange parts (keeping in mind that orange was available in two distinct shades at the time).

I seriously doubt I've had him or the original one out of their storage bag since I did that review. There's been nothing innovative or interesting from the Hoth sets since that set, I don't think, and I rarely buy sets from that sub-sub-theme unless I'm going to review them.

Really? Hoth is one of the few sub-themes that I generally try to pick up. And there are a few key elements that didn't come out until after 2011. 2013 gave us our first radar cannon. The much-maligned Assault on Hoth is the only set to feature the ion cannon or generator. Short of a split-belly Taun-taun that you can shove Luke into, I think they may actually be at the point where there really aren't any key set pieces that are still missing.

And while long-ago FBTB was formed as a Star Wars site, it long since grew out of that vein. The purpose as it's been for the decade I've been here is to cover licensed themes as a whole. Party because just covering Star Wars would leave us with very little to cover, more because we're all nerds and have a wide variety of tastes.

I do still miss the days when I could get this site to load as "From Bricks to Bullseye"...

Honestly, for my part... Star Wars has been on the wane as something I collect for a long time. The line is stagnant and boring, for the most part, and the rehash cycle and the increasing prices have meant I'm more selective with purchases. I've been working on an opinion article on that topic for awhile, so look for that sometime in the near future. I was excited for the Force Awakens sets...

Speaking of rehashes that feel stagnant and boring...

...but can't say the Rogue One sets did much for me.

While I think that it's inexcusably stupid that some 30 years after Real Star Wars ended, everyone was flying around in ships that were just slight variations on stuff that was around decades earlier, while Rogue One takes place literally on the doorstep of Ep4 and features craptons of completely unique vehicles that apparently all got shredded and recycled mere moments before Leia got captured, I do like the look of the AT-ST, and think it's probably the best rendition they've made of that particular Actual Star Wars vehicle, and I might pick it up. But in general I'm steering clear of the Disney fan-fic garbage.

The reason I review a lot of the Super Heroes sets, other than being a big comic book nerd, is that it's the line that's been doing more exciting things as of late. I'm extremely excited about The Batman Movie, and the sets have been very fun to build and review. This will probably be the first series since the LEGO movie that we actually review all of the sets for, and there are more hits than misses in it.

See, I've been a huge Batman fan since Tim Burton defeated Adam West and made Batman cool for the first time in my lifetime, but while I love the minifigs, the sets themselves are almost universally garbage by my standards (and the Marvel sets largely focus on characters I don't care about). Except the UCS Tumbler, which is amazing. And Clayface. Clayface is a solid start, even if they didn't give him any actual, you know, hands. I can see myself buying quite a few of these, just to get raw materials to build a modular Clayface kit.
PurpleDave

Next

Return to Reviews