Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 75048 The Phantom

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 75048 The Phantom

Postby Staff » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:15 am

75048 The Phantom 1

This thing is a piece of crap. 1 out of 5 stars. There. I've said it. And I'm tempted to end the review of 75048 The Phantom right here and now so we can all go about our day because this set is barely deserving any more attention than that. But that wouldn't be right and I'm sure you'll want to know why I hate it so much. So I'll do my best to tell you exactly why.

There was about a week's worth of time that passed between me building the set and me sitting here writing the review and during that time I was able to distill my feelings down to two coherent thoughts. The two main reasons why I hate this set are: 1) It's ugly and 2) It's not worth the money.

75048 The Phantom 4
75048 The Phantom 3 75048 The Phantom 2

In terms of its aesthetic quality, I can't really blame LEGO entirely for its design. After all it is based off a ship in the upcoming Rebels cartoon. A very specific function was required to be included in the set, namely for it be able to dock with 75053 The Ghost, along with trying to get it to look like the source material and at the same time trying to hit a very specific price point and/or piece count. I have no doubt that the end result is extremely faithful to the original model from the show but unfortunately for us that end result is just not very pleasing to look at.

75048 The Phantom 6

The Phantom is basically made up of two parts: a forward cockpit section and a cargo/wing section that attaches to the cockpit section by way of some Technic pins. That step in the instruction manual is highlighted on the back of the box as if it were a play feature. I don't think it is though, like I don't think it's supposed to separate like that during play and I doubt that the ship in the cartoon is designed with that kind of feature. Maybe it was included on the box simply because the ship is so boring it needed something to make it look more exciting than it actually is. I suppose if I had more of an imagination, I could see the separate sections as two distinct vehicles but come on, it ain't no saucer separation.

75048 The Phantom 8 75048 The Phantom 7

Chopper tucks away in the cargo hold which is a bit of a departure from how we're used to seeing astromechs in these kinds of sets. It isn't a starfighter though so it's understandably different. Behind Chopper's bay is a small storage area perfect for Ezra's head accessory and blaster. I always appreciate any effort the designers put in to designing a ship with storage to store any extra bits so it's all kept together, minimizing the risk of losing pieces. This is probably my favorite feature and one of the best features from this set.

75048 The Phantom 5

The Phantom has these articulated wings that fold up and down depending on whether or not it is docked on the Ghost. When they're down they angle downward but there isn't enough friction to prevent the wings from flattening out once you put it down on a flat surface after a session of swooshing. It is quit swooshable though and the spring loaded missile adds a bit of fun.

75048 The Phantom 10 75048 The Phantom 9

These are the two minifigs you get. Ezra Bridger comes with what I assume is a McQuarrie concept designed Stormtrooper helmet. I Googled around for images of the his Stormtrooper concept art but couldn't really find a matching image for the helmet. It seems a bit out of place since Ezra doesn't come in a Stormtrooper outfit but I will give LEGO the benefit of the doubt and assume the helmet has some sort of significance in the show to be included in this set. Chopper is, I guess, the R2 of Rebels, with a proper designation of C1-10P. He is shorter than LEGO R2, featuring a smaller body and legs. He comes with a 2x2 boat tile to round out the bottom.

And that's pretty much all there is to 75048 The Phantom. And because Google doesn't really register 0 ratings, I am forced to give it a 1 out of 5 stars. Look, it's not like it's a set that requires knowledge and familiarity of the source material. There just isn't much going on with the ship. It's small with folding wings and comes with a minifigure, Ezra Bridger, and an astromech droid, Chopper. Even if, and this is a big if, Rebels becomes the next best thing after the Tartakovsky Clone Wars and we look upon the series fondly with nostalgic eyes, it might be bumped up to a 2 at best, maybe a 3 but that's pushing it. In its current context though, the design just isn't very aesthetically pleasing enough to get anything higher than a 1.

And that other reason I rate this set so low? The price. It's a total gimmick on LEGO's part to sell the two ships separately rather than include them together in one bigger set. I would normally applaud such gimmicks just to introduce a new kind of modular play and a different building experience than what we've had for decades, but the execution here is lacking any real value or appeal. 75048 The Phantom costs $25 bucks. Think of all of the other sets you could be getting for $25 dollars and you'll quickly have the same realization that I did in that it's just not worth it. The only reason anyone would feel like they need to get the set is because they want to buy or have already bought 75052 The Ghost and want the Phantom to complete it. LEGO should have just bundled it into one set for a few dollars more. There's a 2-in-1 pack floating out there for $5 dollars less than the cost of the two sets combined, and even that is seems a bit overpriced. If I didn't have to review this set I would have taken my money and doubled up on 75003 A-wing Starfighter instead. Or, better yet, more space marines.

If you need to complete 75053 The Ghost, get 75048 The Phantom from Amazon:

75048 The Ghost

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/08/11/review-75048-the-phantom/
Staff

Re: Review: 75048 The Phantom

Postby R8-C2 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:06 am

In regards to the helmet, it is based on the McQuarrie version of the snowtrooper http://www.oafe.net/yo/art/sw5mcst5.jpg
I am Groot. WE are Groot
R8-C2

Postby rushiosan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:31 am

Wow. $25? Seriously? That's a 9.99 set at best, maybe $15, but $25 is A LOT for such a small, uninteresting ship.

My reasons to get this would be: a) if that thing reaches a remarkable importance in the show like Luke's X-Wing or Anakin's Blue Jedi Starfighter (which I really doubt it will EVER happen); b) it's part of a 50% clearance sale.
rushiosan

Postby onions » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:41 am

R8-C2 wrote:In regards to the helmet, it is based on the McQuarrie version of the snowtrooper http://www.oafe.net/yo/art/sw5mcst5.jpg

ah thanks. i did not know that.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby that guy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:56 am

I really wish you'd stop sugar coating the review... XD
that guy

Postby Solo » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:05 pm

rushiosan wrote:Wow. $25? Seriously? That's a 9.99 set at best, maybe $15, but $25 is A LOT for such a small, uninteresting ship.

When have we ever had a Star Wars set with the kind of price to piece ratio you're asking for there? Or do you think this sad little ship would benefit from being smaller or simpler than it already is to hit that lower price?
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby phoenixhawk » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:44 pm

I thought, just by looking at the pics in the review, it was a $15 set...but $25...that's terrible. maybe if it's on clearance or something...and probably only then for parts. Really have no interest in this new show
phoenixhawk

Postby rushiosan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:14 pm

Solo wrote:
rushiosan wrote:Wow. $25? Seriously? That's a 9.99 set at best, maybe $15, but $25 is A LOT for such a small, uninteresting ship.

When have we ever had a Star Wars set with the kind of price to piece ratio you're asking for there? Or do you think this sad little ship would benefit from being smaller or simpler than it already is to hit that lower price?

75002 (AT-RT)
Pieces:222
RP: $20

75003 (A-Wing)
Pieces: 177
RP: $25

9494 (Anakin's Jedi Interceptor)
Pieces: 300
RP: $40

As you can see, the problem really isn't how many parts a set have... #75002 has more minifigures, a better design, the main model is bigger, box has the same size... and only 12 pieces short from 75048? Can anyone explain that $5 logic please?
rushiosan

Postby gomek » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:13 pm

I've pretty much decided Rebels is not for me, but to be fair, it's mostly because of the trailer, and lack of things I recognize as classic Star Wars.
gomek

Postby LN.01354 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:25 pm

Great review; you saved me from buying this set! The set looks disappointing, so I don't think I will get The Ghost either (but I will give the show a chance.) However, I will miss out on that McQuarrie helmet...and that adorable little Chopper, but they might appear in another set.

Also, the Rebels line is looking disappointing. Two ships that are overpriced and are brand new to the universe? Not buying it...I just can't wait until Lego releases some Imperial sets: At-DP, AT-ST, TIE variations, etc. I really need to build up my Imperial army, and the Stormtroopers in this line don't look too bad (in Lego form...)

Well, I guess I'll have to be content (for now) with lame characters, overpriced junk, and awful Wookiees. Oh, and no Sabine, who is the only character I want. But she will probably be sold in, like, the to-scale version of the Death Star, along with Beru and Cloud City Lando.
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Also, I'm on Flickr! Help a poor little boy, just trying to make his way in the MOCing world, all on his lonesome. Follow me! (please) :D :[/flickr]https://www.flickr.com/photos/126163229@N02/
LN.01354

Postby rodiziorobs » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:28 pm

How does something so insignificant looking have 230+ pieces in it?
rodiziorobs

Postby rushiosan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:27 pm

LN.01354 wrote:Great review; you saved me from buying this set! The set looks disappointing, so I don't think I will get The Ghost either (but I will give the show a chance.) However, I will miss out on that McQuarrie helmet...and that adorable little Chopper, but they might appear in another set.

Also, the Rebels line is looking disappointing. Two ships that are overpriced and are brand new to the universe? Not buying it...I just can't wait until Lego releases some Imperial sets: At-DP, AT-ST, TIE variations, etc. I really need to build up my Imperial army, and the Stormtroopers in this line don't look too bad (in Lego form...)

Well, I guess I'll have to be content (for now) with lame characters, overpriced junk, and awful Wookiees. Oh, and no Sabine, who is the only character I want. But she will probably be sold in, like, the to-scale version of the Death Star, along with Beru and Cloud City Lando.

Both ships are overpriced AND ugly. The Ghost is another pile of junk, with bad design and doubtful build as far as I have seen in video reviews. The minifigures are so cool though... in opposite to Clone Wars which had awesome LEGO vehicles packed with ugly figures.
rushiosan

Postby dWhisper » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:55 pm

Ace was nice enough to take the reviews for these off my hands. I had the sets anyway, and built them... and there is basically nothing redeeming to them. This set is terrible on its own, but it somehow gets worse when you combine it with the other one. I like Chopper, but he's basically the size that all astromechs should have been all along.

rodiziorobs wrote:How does something so insignificant looking have 230+ pieces in it?

Quantity does not equate to quality, sadly. Lots of hinges, etc. It's basically a big block.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Chosen One » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:00 pm

I remember when years back for this price, I got myself the first Lego Batmobile. Two awesome vehicles and 3 figures.

At $5 less, I got the Batboat!!! Three vehicles and 2 figures!

As for the Ghost and Phantom, it's so ugly and so not Starwars, like almost all of Filoni's original ships in TCW.

They tried so hard to recreate the Falcon, that they ended up with a mess.
Chosen One

Postby Chosen One » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:05 pm

LN.01354 wrote:Oh, and no Sabine, who is the only character I want. But she will probably be sold in, like, the to-scale version of the Death Star, along with Beru and Cloud City Lando.

I'm actually tired of Lego putting popular female characters exclusively in overpriced sets - They did with Batgirl, Black Widow, Poison Ivy, and all the Liea's and Padmes.

It's so frustrating...
Chosen One

Postby dodge » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:39 pm

I purchased this set last month and built it about a week ago. The reasons why I bought it was a) for the fig pieces, and b) because it reminded me of the snowspeeder concept art I saw way back when and found kind of cool:

However, after putting it together, I have to agree with the review: dull dull dull. No real play feature, the new flick-fire seemed like an afterthought, and the price (shelf said $24.99, came up at $29.99) sucked. Pieced it out pretty quick and put it all behind me.
dodge

Postby rushiosan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 5:53 pm

Chosen One wrote:
LN.01354 wrote:Oh, and no Sabine, who is the only character I want. But she will probably be sold in, like, the to-scale version of the Death Star, along with Beru and Cloud City Lando.

I'm actually tired of Lego putting popular female characters exclusively in overpriced sets - They did with Batgirl, Black Widow, Poison Ivy, and all the Liea's and Padmes.

It's so frustrating...

That's why LEGO women are so rare. Remember the female pirate that came in Black Seas Barracuda? That's pretty much the same thing. 30 years of sexis... okay, I'm done here.
rushiosan

Postby dWhisper » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:46 pm

You mean like how they finally made a set like The Research Institute which featured female characters, and it sold out almost immediately, so Lego decides that it's a single run and they won't make more? Wait, though, we're forgetting the message that showed up in all of the various reviews... that there shouldn't be female characters or male characters, they should just be generic and people should use their imagination. It's not as if it's a 10-to-1 ratio already, and that the other side of that suggestion is basically "there are plenty of male characters... girls, just use your 'imagination' and pretend some of them are girls," the fact is girls don't like Lego stuff.

Especially not the two 7-year-olds that a couple of my buddies have who were just going crazy in my Lego room yesterday, playing with my modular buildings and trying to find all the places where I'd put Wildstyle in the display...

/soapbox

I don't want to steal all of the stuff from Ace's review of The Ghost, but as bad as the Phantom is, I thought that one was worse. The biggest guilty aspect of this ship is that it's dull. The Ghost actually has stuff that you build and just want to scream.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby LN.01354 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:20 pm

The plain fact is that Lego Star Wars sets are becoming worse and worse. I have only been collecting Star Wars since Bionicle was discontinued (for now) in 2010, I'm only 15, and even I am getting sick of their system.Tiny, junky sets slopped together are sold for high prices, and they stick rare or exclusive minifigures in these sets just to get collectors (like me) to buy them. "Terrible Droid Starfighter, seems like a pass, so--Oh wait! Exclusive Neimoidian warrior? Take my money!" or "$70 for that tiny little Cantina? No, I can't--Greedo? 3 Biths? Alright, you got me..."

Of course, there are plenty of good sets: Ewok Village, Sandcrawler, RGS, AT-AP, AT-AT. But so many are just mindless cash grabs: Cantina, Droid Gunship, Jedi Scout Fighter, Jabba's Sail Barge...pretty much half of every wave.

Really, this summer wave is seeming pretty bad, except for the AT-AT, and Star Destroyer. But, of course, I still need to buy the Cantina...
Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.
Also, I'm on Flickr! Help a poor little boy, just trying to make his way in the MOCing world, all on his lonesome. Follow me! (please) :D :[/flickr]https://www.flickr.com/photos/126163229@N02/
LN.01354

Postby Ultron32 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:57 pm

Chosen One wrote:

It's so frustrating...

Admittedly, the majority of the lines that you're talking about have very tipped scales already, before Lego made sets. The closest thing to a major female Batman character is probably Harley and Batgirl, the Avengers only had two important female characters, and you pretty much just listed the only two particularly important female Star Wars characters. I don't think it's fair to blame all that on Lego. Unlicensed lines have an easier chance of being more evenly weighed and more often are.

dWhisper wrote:The Ghost actually has stuff that you build and just want to scream.

It sounds as if you've seen a ghost.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Next

Return to Reviews