Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 21109 Exo Suit

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 21109 Exo Suit

Postby Staff » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:05 am

21109 Exo Suit 1

I received my review copy of the latest LEGO Ideas set 21109 Exo Suit some time before Comic Con happened but because of the craziness leading up to it I didn't have time to do the review until now. While I was away I thought about the set and wondered if I would be just as impressed with it after some time and space was between us as I was the first time I built it. And let me tell you, the test of time had not tarnished Peter Reid's excellent Ideas set, 21109 Exo Suit, in the least. It was just as magnificent to post, play with, and photograph as it was the first day.

21109 Exo Suit 3 21109 Exo Suit 2

There are no numbered bags, instead you just dump all the bags into a pile and sift through them to get what you need for each step. You build the two green Classic Space minifigs first, who are Peter Reid and his girlfriend. I have a feeling these green Classic Space minifigs will be as popular and sought after as the green ninjas from the early 2000's. The only thing that could have made them better is if LEGO used the same helmet as Benny's from The LEGO Movie with the broken chin strap molded in to really pay homage to Classic Space. I ended up with a spare green air tank which I thought was unusual but I don't think anyone would really complain.
21109 Exo Suit 4
21109 Exo Suit 6 21109 Exo Suit 5

Peter's turtle MOC makes an appearance in this set. It's quite a charming little build and I can see myself wanting to make more turtles in more colors with different things on the back for different purposes. Another project for another day perhaps.
21109 Exo Suit 8 21109 Exo Suit 9

It also includes a small construct consisting of a platform and two barrels. All put together it actually provides a bit of scenery for the main model which I don't mind at all.
21109 Exo Suit 15 21109 Exo Suit 16

After you've built those things and look at the remaining pile of parts, you'll probably experience the same moment that I did where you sit back, look at the pile, look at the box, and wonder, "How the heck is this thing supposed to turn into that thing?" But sure enough, bit by greebly bit, things start to take shape. And I use the term "shape" loosely.
21109 Exo Suit 17 21109 Exo Suit 20 21109 Exo Suit 19 21109 Exo Suit 18

It is, after all, a collected mass of parts that are more often than not used for greebling details in MOCs. But underneath all of that is a solid structure that is both lightweight and strong, strong enough to stand up on its own in a variety of poses. There are ball joints just about everywhere to give it a level of poseability never before seen in a LEGO mecha set, like ever. Over time, the ball joints may loosen up but it is LEGO and parts can always be replaced.
21109 Exo Suit 11
21109 Exo Suit 12 21109 Exo Suit 13
21109 Exo Suit 14

The minifigure drops right into the suit's pilot's seat with enough room for the airtanks. He stands the whole time and the frame folds back to secure the minifig into position. I suppose with a little effort you could have the spaceman grab onto the pistol grip controls but it may not be worth the time and effort unless you plan on never taking him out of the pilot's seat ever again.
21109 Exo Suit 21
21109 Exo Suit 27

The hands are freaking HUGE. So large and splayed out that I refer to the set as Jazz Hands Exo Suit. It makes for grabbing things easy though and adds character and style to the build.
21109 Exo Suit 22

I do have one complaint about the suit and it's the greeble over the shoulders, pictured above. When posing the arms, more often than not the greeble assembly would just be more annoying that anything. They rotate with the arms and if you were to re-position them you would probably make the whole thing break apart and/or fall off completely. Those robot arm elements don't exactly have the greatest clutch power. The model looks fine without them and I'd be more inclined to just taking them off than fiddling with them during play time. It really is the weakest part of the model both literally and figuratively. All of the other details are rock solid and mostly stay on while being manhandled.
21109 Exo Suit 25

This set easily gets 5 out of 5 stars. If you're a Classic Space guy, you have no excuse to not get this set. Even if you're just a sci-fi fan in general, this build is extremely satisfying. Let's face it, every other mecha set that LEGO has put out in recent years just sucked with the only exception being 8106 Aero Booster from the old Exo-Force theme. They are blocky, the legs just suck, and they all feel like the same kind of build after awhile. 21109 Exo Suit is like a breath of fresh in that arena. I doubt LEGO themselves will ever put out a mecha set like this that is this intricate and satisfying. They are almost doing themselves a disservice releasing such an awesome mecha / suit set because let's be honest, it's all downhill from here.
21109 Exo Suit 26

21109 Exo Suit set goes on sale in a few hours on August 1 12:00am midnight EST, which translates to July 31st 9:00pm for the West Coast and somewhere in between for middle America at LEGO Shop@Home. There is speculation that there will be only one production run so please do not hesitate in buying this set, one and done so they say. The cost is $34.99 and is worth every penny.

Buy 21109 From LEGO Shop@Home:
21109_box

21109 Exo Suit 10

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/07/31/review-21109-exo-suit/
Staff

Re: Review: 21109 Exo Suit

Postby sparkart » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:59 am

Looks great!

I propose a building challenge: Design and create the opposition, it could be alien creature(s), another exo-suit, a robot, something to go mano-a-mano with this Exo-Suit.
sparkart

Postby Joedward » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:58 am

I'm thrilled I was able to get mine signed by Pete at the Bluewater Lego store. I bought two on the day and will undoubtedly buy at least one more when it hits S@H.

I know it's a limited run and so hoarding them might be seen as a crappy kind of thing to do, but I love the set and I just want more.
I plan on having them all built as well, I'm not interested in hanging on to one even if the resale value could be somewhat lucrative.

What I'm really hoping for though, what crossed my mind first with Benny's Spaceship and again with this set, is a resurgence in Classic Space. I was born and introduced to Lego too late for the vast majority of the original space themes. But these sets came out and I continue to cling on to that hope.
That hope is made stronger, mind you, after the announcement that Minecraft is officially becoming its own theme. Granted it technically already started moving away from its Cuusoo/Ideas leash when we got the newer (slightly cheaper) sets, but now that it's an official line?
Could The LEGO Movie have started something amazing? Could Pete have helped it along?

New Lego Space 2015? Or 2016? I can be patient, I could probably wait that long.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Ultron32 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:58 am

I had heard when the first pictures showed up that it was going to cost $50 so hearing that it's $35 AND a limited run makes this easily a 'buy it the first day' set.
Thought you'd like this about the Vatican cameos.
Ultron32

Postby gomek » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:15 pm

You had me at Green Classic Space figure.

Any idea if this goes on sale at midnight tonight? I have a feeling the answer is an unspecified time on Aug 1st, but I haven't heard.
gomek

Postby dWhisper » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:40 pm

New sets typically show up sometime around 2-4 AM, but with their problems, who knows, they may get punchy.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Darth Dee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 pm

I ordered it at 12:51am EDT and it was already "out of stock - 30 day backorder"
Darth Dee

Postby CloneDoc » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:06 am

Does anyone know why it's listed as $24.99 at TRU? it says store availability may vary though and you can't site to store it. Interesting. And TLG's website says it'll ship on Aug 15th now, max of 2. If it is going to be limited release, they'll be gone real soon I bet.....
CloneDoc

Postby gomek » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:22 am

I ordered two and got the same back order message. I assume I'm fine, but until I'm holding them I guess there's no way to know for sure.

Was the limit of two since it opened up for sale?

Also while I understand that this is a limited release, I haven't heard what it's limited to, so my hopes are they'll do the right thing and fullfill the orders before cutting it off.
gomek

Postby boudreaux_blackbeard » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:46 pm

S@H now has a limit of 1 and a 30 day backorder. I hope this ends up like the first Minecraft set where quantities were super limited at first (resulting in a booming secondary market) but eventually Lego created enough to fill the demand. I hope anyway.
boudreaux_blackbeard

Postby onions » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:32 pm

gomek wrote:I ordered two and got the same back order message. I assume I'm fine, but until I'm holding them I guess there's no way to know for sure.

Was the limit of two since it opened up for sale?

Also while I understand that this is a limited release, I haven't heard what it's limited to, so my hopes are they'll do the right thing and fullfill the orders before cutting it off.

it started with a limit of two and at some point it got dropped down to 1 like boudreaux_blackbeard said.

target had it up for $49.99 but seems to be sold out. tru has a magical price of $24.99 but never saw them having any stock on it. time to make some tru runs.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby gomek » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:33 pm

My gut is telling me Lego has probably under estimated the demand for this set.
gomek

Postby dWhisper » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm hitting a Lego Store tomorrow to check it out, so, here's hoping.
dWhisper

Postby Joedward » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:31 pm

Limit on UK S@H is still 5, but it's also out of stock and not shipping until 4th September.

I already have four though...
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Blacknight » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:42 pm

I'm always interested in anything mech(a) related, but I've found Lego is a really poor building block for mechs because it falls apart so easily. I still love my K'nex Mechwarrior sets from way back. K'nex has Titanfall sets out now too but they're apparently quite fragile too.
Blacknight

Postby Ultron32 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:38 am

At around 1-2 pm yesterday I called my Lego store due to these reports to make sure they had some left before I went there. There were about 5 left when I got there. It really is an amazing set, I still can't decide the better Cuusoo set; this or Ecto-1.
Ultron32

Postby onions » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:35 am

Blacknight wrote:I'm always interested in anything mech(a) related, but I've found Lego is a really poor building block for mechs because it falls apart so easily. I still love my K'nex Mechwarrior sets from way back. K'nex has Titanfall sets out now too but they're apparently quite fragile too.

you should pick up this set then. It's quite nice and like i said in my review, puts every other lego mech set to shame.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby dWhisper » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:41 pm

I was able to pick this and the scientists up today at The Lego Store in Kansas City. There were several Exo Suits, but I nabbed the next-to-last Scientist set. Was interesting, the only other ideas stuff they had was Minecraft. No Ecto-1 or anything else.

Edit: I swung by the store a bit later and chatted with one of the employees. Apparently, they sold through 180 of the Scientists and the same in the Exo-suits... Their full allotment of the sets.
dWhisper

A Simple Fix for the Exo Suit Shoulders

Postby Staff » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:42 pm

Exo-Suit Bar Fix

The general consensus on the 21109 Exo-Suit has been "awesome, but those shoulders are just terrible." I put mine together yesterday, right after I put together 21110 Research Institute, and couldn't help but notice that it came with an extra 3L bar in light grey/medium stone. Turns out, that's just about the right length to slip through the shoulder to hold it together.

For those who are curious, this is part 87994 on Bricklink, 17715 on BrickOwl, and the Lego element ID is 6093527 (though it's sold out on Bricks and Pieces). It came in light grey in the Research Institute, and according to BrickOwl (though not Bricklink or Brickset), it also came in the LEGO Movie Super-Cycle Chase. I don't have that particular set, so I can't quite confirm it.

You Will Give Me the Bar

No word on how easily the chemist will let go of her beaker stand...
---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/08/04/a-simple-fix-for-the-exo-suit-shoulders/
Staff

Postby Ultron32 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:57 pm

I was getting worried about those shoulders. Although I didn't intend to get that set. Does anybody know, do those particular pieces usually have such a weak connection?
Ultron32

Next

Return to Reviews