Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 75059 Sandcrawler

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Re: Review: 75059 Sandcrawler

Postby Joedward » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:42 pm

Not read the review yet, but I will.

I bought the set very late morning and started building early yesterday afternoon (it's 00.28 as I type this) and, as is the way with most things I build, I had the TV on in the background.
Intermittent cookie/drink/pee/Game of Thrones beaks aside, this build took me 4 episodes of Modern Family and the first 8 episodes of Suits (Netflix). I've seen them all before, but I use it as background noise.
I suppose the only way this is relevant is that I've never marathoned such a big set like this in such a elastically slurry* amount of time. The SSD may have taken a similar amount of time, but over two days... I absolutely loved this build, I couldn't not carry on. Repetitiveness of tank treads aside, the intricacies and details of putting this thing together was like I was building an AFOL's MOC rather than an official Lego Company set**. It's beautiful. I honestly can't remember the last time I enjoyed so much putting together a set I'd bought.

Sure, it's a shame about the stickers and the lack of Aunt Very, but I rarely, if ever, apply stickers anyway and I'm thrilled with the figures we got.

4.5/5 for me..... I somehow just wish it was bigger, so there was more to do.

Also, the instruction manual is just the best. I want more like this.

Other thoughts. There was 15% of on the SSD, and even though I only used VIP points to get it (7000 odd points), I could have saved if I'd waited... Oh well.
I'll get some other sets on discount, some Mixels, and another Revan.

Good times.

*I'm leaving this up there because it amused me. I'm still making errors while using swipe, rather than typing, and I often fail to proof read. That meant to say 'relatively short'.
I don't know what happened.

**Hyperbole, but you get the point.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby volumex » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:12 am

Am disappointed they never used my elevator concept in the final model, it was one of several ideas I put to the team, during one of our model review meetings. I felt that model had enough depth to have it included. :(
This is a very watered down version of some amazing ideas that never made it through.
volumex

Postby onions » Thu May 01, 2014 11:31 am

volumex wrote:Am disappointed they never used my elevator concept in the final model, it was one of several ideas I put to the team, during one of our model review meetings. I felt that model had enough depth to have it included. :(
This is a very watered down version of some amazing ideas that never made it through.

do tell. i'd be interested in knowing what didn't make the cut.
onions
Founder
Founder

Postby Brainslugged » Fri May 02, 2014 2:46 pm

@Joedward

I assume "Aunt Very" was also a swype issue :lol:. I have the same problem with Swype sometimes - looking back at messages sent and seeing that they make absolutely no sense.
Brainslugged

Postby Trooper10 » Sat May 03, 2014 11:09 pm

onions wrote: the sandcrawler just doesn't have that same level of musthaviness. if they really wanted to push it that level, add beru lars, some sort of dome structure to at least represent the homestead, and black skeletons to represent their charred remains after the sandtrooper attack.

Hmm yeah that makes sense to me - getting an iconic ship right helps a lot, getting a more marginal one right isn't enough, you gotta make that baby zing!
And to whoever is dreaming about Beru in an oil bath.....ewww! ;)
Trooper10

Postby dWhisper » Tue May 20, 2014 8:09 am

I picked this up last weekend when I had a chance to visit the Lego store in Kansas City with a sick wife and kid in tow (I was a good husband and father, and offered multiple times to forego the stop... but I guess it was a reward for all the driving I was having to do), and built it over the last few days.

I wasn't originally going to get the set this soon in its lifecycle (because I didn't have to do the review this time, yay!), but I won a nice little $300 prize for something at work, and this was $300, so it just sort of happened. It was an interesting build that alternated between fun (unique ways to mount and turn parts) and tedious (treads, a lot of the technic work). What was kind of strange is just how quickly in the process it actually felt like a Sandcrawler. One of the weird things about UCS sets is how long they can take to get to actually feel like the thing you're building. The Falcon took forever (right around the point where you were building the mandibles) before it actually started to shape up like the falcon. The SSD never really felt like the model, it was just a chore that involved a lot of 1x1 studs and grill tiles.

In the end, it was a fun enough build, and it will certainly look good on the shelf. Now I just have the classic UCS problem of "where in the hell am I going to put this thing?"

Also, it does need more Beru. And that stupid lightsaber just went right in the extra parts bowl...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby volumex » Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:32 am

onions wrote:
volumex wrote:Am disappointed they never used my elevator concept in the final model, it was one of several ideas I put to the team, during one of our model review meetings. I felt that model had enough depth to have it included. :(

do tell. i'd be interested in knowing what didn't make the cut.

Well I can let one cat out the bag... one of the droids (the famous one) gets lifted up and then gets dropped into a container and when you tip a side door open ,he falls out in pieces. Like his been recycled. LOL. I swear we made the Designer do it several times. It was that cool! and a total laugh. In all projects you have a Design Lead and great stuff lands up been... while not included, a real bummer.
volumex

Previous

Return to Reviews