Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Review: 70813 Rescue Reinforcements

The official Lego set review forum. Please read the Guidelines before posting!

Review: 70813 Rescue Reinforcements

Postby Staff » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:41 am

OK, so maybe the Flying Flusher didn't blow my mind, but how about a set that has not only the largest "Micro Manager", but a helicopter cobbled together from a windmill and a giant fire mech? This is more like it.

I love mech sets and have bought every one LEGO has made since the Exo-Force days. It was a no brainer that I would want to get this one considering that love of mechs and the fact that I've never bought myself a fire truck, so the alt mode would take care of that. One problem. This set is not a 2-in-1. Sadface, but let's move on shall we?

We get five figs in this one. First we have our citizens in peril. Sure to be popular with the old school crowd, we have a Fabu-fan and a Blacktron fan. Both of these prints are stellar and wonderful in the meta factor alone. The face prints, like those in the Flusher are simple, but very effective and the alt faces are wonderfully aghast. These shirts are simultaneously generic and fantastically specific, so very useful on display.

Next up is Blaze Firefighter & Hank Haystack. I can't wait to see this pun-apalooza. Blaze is a pretty generic new fire fighter print if you need even more of those and his sweaty face is a nice stressed look of seriousness. Neither of these heroes have an alt face, but I guess they just don't need them. Hank is another story. Most farmer figs are all peasants or plain mister green jeans types, but hank is hillbilly all the way. He'll be happy knee deep in moonshine or strumming his banjo on the front porch. He's as funny as he is useful and a standout to be sure. The back printing on both are good, but Hank is, of course, all pressed ham.

On the villain side we get a nasty Robo-Swat officer of the Super Secret Police. I love the variety of these bots. I love robots and these are some choice heads to be sure. He comes with the printed flak jacket from the Cycle set and the new gun, both welcome accessories. But he doesn't come alone.

This set has the largest of the Micro Manager proto-Borg cubes. It's really about the same size as the one from Metalbeard's set, but it's bulkier and better designed IMO. I built the Cloud Cuckoo Palace, Glider Getaway and Metalbeard's Duel sets as well as this one and the Flusher. One thing that impressed me is that the cubes are all quite different, but end up looking about the same. That type of variety feeds into the oppressive nature of the cubes, while keeping the builds non repetitive.
This one has flip up sides that reveal more flick-fire missiles and an extra round stored inside, ready to be reloaded. He also has a third arm, just for gun-totting. I really like the two AT-ST looking cubes and they are the most fun to run around and battle against.

Those little claws can even hold a fig, it's tight, but they fit!

Sit21

The real meat of this set is the fire mech. This is a fun build. Interesting techniques, if nothing staggeringly new and a lot of functionality. It has no flick-fires or other projectiles, but it does have the water cannon that you spin around with the knob on the back of the hand. The mech has an extremely loose turntable at the waist and would be likely to spin around willy-nilly and make posing difficult were it not for the new hoses with pegs on either end. They're used to make it look cool and keep its range of motion fairly limited. They even act a bit like springs on the upper body allowing a spring loaded punch that is capable of knocking over the proto-Borg with one mighty blow. The joints are pretty sturdy, but one complaint is that the white 1x2 plate with rail grooves keep the feet from bending upwards toward the knee. That limits the standing poses, but it's still quite functional.

I had a lot of fun with this big clobbering truck-stocity. Part of the enjoyment comes from the fact that this is supposed to made from a fire engine. I should get something out of the way now. This is not one of the 2-in-1 packaged sets.

But I will be blown away if they don't make the alternate modes available online. I think the fact that this and Creative Ambush are not double ups is due to not wanting to print an extra two or three books. everything is here to build a full fire truck. EVERYTHING. I found myself doing a mental inventory as I was building and if I had the extra time right now, I'd build it. I'm sure someone will though and I'm also still betting instructions will pop up soon as a nice little bonus to the quickly approaching movie.

2626a

This helicopter is part of why I believe this. There are just too many parts that make more sense in a windmill then here. I'd love to believe that the designers meant to do that, but I think that some little bits would have been different if they had really been without the restriction of an alt mode.

Still, on its own it's still a crazy little copter and probably my son's favourite part of the build. Windmill props, chicken telescope lookout, carrot bomber and an apple "launcher" make this a well packed and very tight model. It is very sturdy, but awfully blocky to consider swooshable. You'll still manage though. The best part for me it that it is pig powered. He's on the back, chasing a carrot. If this was truly a single model, that treadmill might move, but instead it is just implied. Sneaky. Love the spotted piggy too. So there is that flying pig I spoke of in the Flusher review. Even the way the hinged roof and props are constructed reeks of "we have to use these specific parts". We'll see I guess. Fingers crossed.

One other thing. The anchor part has a slanted end. I don't know if that is a new part, but it was certainly new to me.
Great for cube fishing I'll bet.

Both vehicles are well equipped to take on the proto-Borg menace. Though, if villainous reinforcements show up, they always have further back-up.

Back Top BackHigh Five!

The fire mech is pretty much on par size wise with Metalbeard, so a tag team back-to-back beat down is a definite option if you're so inclined to pick up more sets.

Oink!

And don't worry, the evil Robo-Swat was taken care of by the real hero of the set. OINK!

What I Liked:

• Great original figs and some animals to boot.

• The fire mech is a fun build and is fun to play with, the helicopter is pretty neat too.

• Even if this turns out to have no alt build, it would be very easy to do it yourself. Trust.

What I didn't Like:

• I didn't like having to sticker the new double curved slopes on the mechs arms. Need more of those parts.

• Alt instructions not included. That will be forgiven if they are made available soon

• A couple of design issues with the vehicles, but nothing too serious.

Using our fancy new rating scale:

5 – An Absolute Must Buy
4 – Worth the money
3 – Get it when it’s on sale
2 – One for the clearance bin
1 – Not even if they paid you to take it

I'd say a pretty solid 4, but no more. Fun, interesting and a great value at 859 pieces for $70US. It has no stand out characters or abundance of incredible parts to push it up over the top, but it really is well worth the money and it makes me want to get more sets AND see the movie even more then I already did.

Well played, LEGO. Well Played indeed.

You can pick up 70813 Rescue Reinforcements on Lego Shop@Home right now!

70813 Rescue Reinforcements

---
Permalink: http://www.fbtb.net/2014/01/03/review-70813-rescue-reinforcements/
Staff

Re: Review: 70813 Rescue Reinforcements

Postby darth_fett » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:20 am

Are *all* of these sets going to show up in the movie? This is a lot to cram in if they include characterization and tons of jokes. I'm worried they are going to pull a Transformers on us which included toys that would fit in universe but never showed up such as the Laserbeak mp3 and camcorder bots. I have a feeling that many of these may be background shots or extras that show up in the credits. Also, i want a unikitty plush! But that's off topic. But it's sooo keeeeyyuute! There's also a lot of characters, i think we're going to be shafted on characterization.
darth_fett

Postby Flynn » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:04 am

From the attitude of the trailers, I doubt we'll get that much more from standard tropes and archetypes in terms of characterization.

Remember, though- that's not necessarily a bad thing.
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Mister Ed » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:19 am

I can't believe this set doesn't have alternate instructions! That's nuts. Why would you include that in cheaper sets, yet not do so with one of the bigger sets in the line when it so OBVIOUSLY looks like it SHOULD have alternate instructions? I was seriously considering tracking this set looking for sales so I could snag it for my youngest, since I thought he would be excited to have a set that could build a fire truck AND a giant firetruck robot, but he's not really up to modding a firetruck from the parts included at this point, so it has gone from almost a "must buy" to a "never mind".
Mister Ed

Postby cephalopoid » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:31 am

I have a theory as to why this set and others are not 2 in 1.

First you have to pretend you are a 9 year old.

This Lego Movie is set in a Lego world. The Lego world seems to mirror the Lego City systems. But if you, as a 9 year old, only collected City sets, and if you were like a 9 year old me, those city sets did not last ling in their original form. They'd be taken apart, put into a giant bucket or tub.

This tub full of Lego represented endless possibilities. And if I wanted to build a giant robot and only had a couple Pirate sets and a couple City sets, I'd probably make something close, but not as cool as these sets.

These sets are what my 9 year old self wanted to build when the novelty of a fire truck wore out.
cephalopoid

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:43 am

That is the basic concept of all of these sets. 2-in-1 or not.

But as I said. This isn't just a mish mash of parts that looks like it could be a fire truck. Everything you need to build that and a wind mill are in there.
buriedbybricks

Postby darth_fett » Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:48 pm

Mister Ed wrote:Why would you include that in cheaper sets, yet not do so with one of the bigger sets in the line when it so OBVIOUSLY looks like it SHOULD .

Is that the point? Smaller, cheaper sets have less pláyability so they have alt instructions while bigger sets have more play features, vehicles, different characters, etc? I'd be interested in seeing the alt builds if u get these done. I arguably like the alt builds better than the attack vehicles. I'm one of those weirdos with a fetish for CITY Garbage Trucks, and the outhouse and plumbing/ice cream vans just look cool.

Why are all the alt vehicles flying contraptions? All air superiority or mecha, no tanks? Honestly the Decepticons are better than Autobots for that reason...
darth_fett

Postby cephalopoid » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:58 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:That is the basic concept of all of these sets. 2-in-1 or not.

But as I said. This isn't just a mish mash of parts that looks like it could be a fire truck. Everything you need to build that and a wind mill are in there.

Sooooo. What's stopping you from building either?

An instruction manual?

Hmmmm.

Besides, aren't there like 5 other fire vehicles on the market right now?
cephalopoid

Postby dWhisper » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:27 pm

The piece selection in the non 2-in-1 sets doesn't lend it to building the source as much as you'd think. This one, with the greater part count, might be better, but I know that the Creative Ambush set makes you want to build a good Kabob Stand and a Saloon, but doesn't provide a good part selection to do either thing.

I'm just excited that the spotted pigs will be easier to get finally.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:47 pm

cephalopoid wrote:
buriedbybricks wrote:That is the basic concept of all of these sets. 2-in-1 or not.

An instruction manual?

Hmmmm.

All the answers to those questions are in the review. So, you'll excuse me if I don't waste my time repeating myself.
buriedbybricks

Postby cephalopoid » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:13 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:
cephalopoid wrote:

An instruction manual?

Hmmmm.

All the answers to those questions are in the review. So, you'll excuse me if I don't waste my time repeating myself.

And as I pointed out, my 9 year old self didn't need instructions. I had imagination. Hell, just about every Lego set in the 80s and 90s had an alt model that didn't have instructions. Even ExoForce did.

I'm sorry if I don't agree with the review or you. If there are no alt instructions, it's your fault if you can't build another model.
cephalopoid

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:20 pm

And I'm done reading responses to questions I didn't ask.

Tell your 9 year old self to get back to me if his imagination comes up with a coherent point.
buriedbybricks

Postby cephalopoid » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:46 pm

buriedbybricks wrote:And I'm done reading responses to questions I didn't ask.

Tell your 9 year old self to get back to me if his imagination comes up with a coherent point.

Wow. I thought my point was very coherently made. No need to get bith just because we disagree.
cephalopoid

Postby buriedbybricks » Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:00 pm

So, your point was that this set ISN'T 2-in-1 because it is something a kid would make from an existing set.

Even though that's pretty obviously the concept for nearly the entire line INCLUDING sets that are 2-in-1?

For the record, I love it when people don't agree with me. I just prefer them to bring something to the table.
buriedbybricks

Postby oclarki » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:14 am

All of these sets look like something my 9 year old has built or would build. We're excited for the movie.
oclarki

Postby cephalopoid » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:25 am

buriedbybricks wrote:So, your point was that this set ISN'T 2-in-1 because it is something a kid would make from an existing set.

Even though that's pretty obviously the concept for nearly the entire line INCLUDING sets that are 2-in-1?

For the record, I love it when people don't agree with me. I just prefer them to bring something to the table.

No, my point was that anyone with the creativity and intelligence of a child could make do without the instruction book, so why bith?

Anyway, this is the second time someone has been an sarlacc pit to me here on FBTB in as many posts. I'll not be back.
cephalopoid

Postby cephalopoid » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:26 am

buriedbybricks wrote:So, your point was that this set ISN'T 2-in-1 because it is something a kid would make from an existing set.

I guess you missed what I was bringing. I was showing that the criteria by which you and others have evaluated this set on is faulty. A criteria you and others seem to use is that Lego gives us pieces for an alternative set, but don't supply instructions. I was merely showing that if one were to use that criteria to negatively judge all Lego sets (as clearly defined and standard criteria should be used for all subjective evaluations), one would see that Lego sets in the past, as well as now, by their very design, would be inherently faulty. The criteria looks for an absence, one that is at the heart of Lego design, and one that is contrary to what Lego is.

Secondly, my point was that anyone with the creativity and intelligence of a child could make do without the instruction book, so why complain?

Anyway, this is the second time someone has been an sarlacc pit to me here on FBTB in as many times I've posted. It seems there are people here who have a little too much pride in their little pixel of the internet and treat newcomers with different perspectives condescendingly, unkindly, and combatively.

I'll not be back.
cephalopoid

Postby buriedbybricks » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:52 am

We aren't talking about all LEGO sets, just the movie ones. They can provide something extra for some sets but not others seems more then enough reason for a minor complaint and applied only to the movies sets simply doesn't allow your theory to hold water.

I mean, should 9 year olds be insulted that LEGO doesn't think they are creative enough to come up with an alt build for the Ice Cream Machine and included extra instruction? Why include instructions at all then?

I'm comparing one set in a theme to others in that same theme, not all LEGO ever as you seem to think it should be judged. That's the faulty logic.

I wrote a review and you disagreed. I pointed out the holes in your theory and you asked a bunch of questions I had already answered in my review and implied anyone who would complain simply isn't creative as a 9 year old and brought in examples of sets that at least gave pictures of alt modes which just further weakened your original point.

If you can't handle a discussion, or people disagreeing with your points. Why comment?
buriedbybricks

Postby Luke9929 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:01 pm

What is the code on the license plate
Luke9929

Return to Reviews