Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

why are the clone wars sets so weak?

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

why are the clone wars sets so weak?

Postby boncracker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:02 am

why are the clone wars sets so weak? it just doesn't make sense..........................
do you like star wars? if so join this google group: http://groups.google.com/group/lego-sta ... ans-of-usa but if you want to see my MOC's, go to: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/galle ... boncracker . both of those are mine.
boncracker

Location: what in the world do you wanna know? here is a hint: ON EARTH

Re: why are the clone wars sets so weak?

Postby meeotch » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:04 am

Neither does your question....
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby boncracker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:09 am

they are weak because the wings fall off the ships before the ships are done. :star:
do you like star wars? if so join this google group: http://groups.google.com/group/lego-sta ... ans-of-usa but if you want to see my MOC's, go to: http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/galle ... boncracker . both of those are mine.
boncracker

Postby bigospedros » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:22 pm

you're building them wrong ;) :P
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Postby boncracker » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:50 pm

no. i build them correctly
boncracker

Postby Joedward » Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:21 pm

If you did, bits wouldn't fall off while building. Nothing fell off when I was building my clone sets.
I think they're actually pretty strong.
~Ed
(that's Mr. Ed to you)

(T!!!!!!!T=:|[\########################################
Joedward

Postby Teekay » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:45 pm

I have no issue with the Clone Wars sets. IMO, they seem to be better than most of other sets. The only set that I consider fragile is the 7676 Republic Gunship. It is a bit weak. The others are good.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby BigBenKenobi » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:28 pm

Teekay wrote:The only set that I consider fragile is the 7676 Republic Gunship. It is a bit weak. The others are good.

~Sam (Teekay)

I agree. The 7676 Republic Gunship is a little fragile when opening and closing the doors and other compartments, and the base to some degree. But besides that, I find the other Clone Wars sets I own to be wonderfully designed.
Do or do not, there is no try - Yoda
BigBenKenobi

Postby lordvader208 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:45 pm

The Republic Attack shuttle has some of the strongest wings I have ever seen and built in my life. It's pretty much a full 2 layers of plates. My wings don't fall apart, and I've bought the V-19 and Republic Attack Shuttle. The V-19 wings hold together really well too and have never come off on me.

Previous SW sets have had much weaker wings. For example the ARC-170 wings are pretty flimsy, and the ones on the old RGS fall off pretty often too.
lordvader208

Postby Commando80-0 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:32 am

Well, for someone who goes around cracking bones it's no surprise to me that Lego sets crack easily... ;)

Anyway, if it's the V-19 you meant, I don't know; you have to connect the wing(s) to each of the five or so pins at once.
Commando80-0

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:44 pm

They're Legos. They're made out of plastic and made to come apart.
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Postby dWhisper » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:51 pm

I'd say something along the same lines as why does your shift key not work and why does your period key work so aggressively? Snarky of me? Maybe, but there's a standard to posting in this forum, and this post fails it. That, and as far as I can tell... they're not. The RGS does okay, the Republic Attack Shuttle is fine, and as far as Jedi Starfighters go, Ashoka's is no better or worse.

There have been some notoriously bad sets over the year (anything with Wookie in the title, the Imperial Shuttles and Imperial Lander), but the current lineup is about as solid as those that came before it.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby Crusader » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:13 am

My sons (and myself) found the gunship very weak when we first made it. However, twenty extra bricks or so and an hour later and the set is plenty solid. The changes I made were all structural for the most part--the ship itself looks the same. Fortunately lego designed a fairly hollow craft that could be bulked up from the inside. Unfortunately, some kids (and parents) who are less adept or simply don't have the pieces, may be left frustrated.

It would have been wise on Lego's part to reinforce this monster of a set more. But at least it is a fixable problem.

The Magnaguard ship, the droid gunship, the V-19, Anakin's fighter, the battlepacks and the AT-TE are all plenty strong as is. The spider droid is shaky on its legs but it still holds together. It's actually quite cool how far it can lean to one side and not fall over.
Crusader

Postby The Brain » Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:05 pm

I'd have to disagree that the newest RGS is weak at all. The only even semi-weak spots are the side doors closest to the nose of the ship--every thing else is super solid. The wings are astounding--I was building them and thinking, 'there's noooooo way that these will ever stay on..' Those ingenious little slopes under the wings to give support are so effective. I love this ship, and think it is one of the sturdiest in my collection.

Even though this is the only large or mid-size CW series set I own as of now, I take it from other member's comments that these CW sets are not in fact weak at all.
I am the brain, that which keeps you sane
I think your thoughts, I feel your pain
I am able to control both body and soul
I am never asleep, and I make you whole.
The Brain

Postby Teekay » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Just seems like my troop bay comes off a lot. I don't know. It kinda breaks a lot at the bottom.

~Sam (Teekay)
I don't know why I dropped back here again lately. LEGO can no longer hold my interest, and I'm almost certainly gone forever. Bye to all who remember me.
Teekay

Location: Haven't been on in nearly a year. Probably gone forever. Nostalgia brought me back one last time.

Postby darth jason » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:02 am

Compared to what? This is just ranting.
darth jason

Postby Pendragonstar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:29 am

Sometimes even with you build it right you might want to tighten the pieces. Or if your reall frustrated just break apart and build it again.
Pendragonstar

Postby Pendragonstar » Mon May 11, 2009 5:54 pm

I did notice when I dropped the ship on hardwood floor, (not puposely of course), the troop bay is always first to come off. :lol: But really, you might want to tighten the bricks or maybe rebuild the whole thing. Sometimes people just put the wrong piece in the wrong place but don't notice.

EDIT: Whoops, I didn't see that it was a double post. Sorry, I forgot I already posted on this.
Pendragonstar

Return to Ask LEGO