Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Can Steve comment on the life cycle of the Fighter Tank?

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Can Steve comment on the life cycle of the Fighter Tank?

Postby JPCJedi » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:17 pm

Apologies if this falls under the restrictions.

The Fighter Tank's elusiveness has proven curious, and I'm wondering if Steve can comment on just what happened. Did it just sell out before anyone realized? Was it meant to be a mostly Shop at Home set? Was it made with a smaller production run, and if so did the phone deal last week represent a second run?
Bricklink|Flickr
When the Lord spits in your face, he’s trying to cure you of something.--John 9:1-41
JPCJedi

Re: Can Steve comment on the life cycle of the Fighter Tank?

Postby dWhisper » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:38 pm

It was a Target exclusive last winter, the same as the Hoth Base was a TRU exclusive the year before. It sold out in a similar way, mostly for being awesome and a limited run. The Fighter Tank lasted a whole lot longer than the base did, honestly, before it was re-re-introduced.
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby legofactory » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:48 pm

No worries. I have a pretty good feeling this set will return. Just like the hoth rebel base, sith infilrator and other awesome sets. Limited Edition Sets that sell out really quick within a couple of months will most likely make an apperance back once more. Also, I think the set that was most popular would probably be the hoth base, than fighter tank, than sith infiltrator.
legofactory

Postby yankeeken » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:36 am

legofactory might be right, as the TRU Indiana Jones exclusive Peril in Peru recently made a come back on S@H after be sold out for quite sometime.
yankeeken

Postby speaknspell » Tue May 12, 2009 11:11 am

it was a fourth quarter exclusive with a single run. it was made to sell out during the holiday season. Its the way lots of retailers like to do things because the exclusives drive people into the store and they don't have to worry about left over inventory when new products start in January.

Steve
Steve's Blog - Partially Obvious
speaknspell

Postby Prince Kahuka » Wed May 13, 2009 7:55 pm

Would it be possible for LEGO to let fans know when they release sets that are made to sell out quickly? I'm sure many of us would appreciate a warning on those sets so we don't miss out thinking we can pick it up later. Notices could possibly be done through the ambassadors who would make sure the news hits all the major sites.
Prince Kahuka

Postby onions » Wed May 13, 2009 8:10 pm

dude, don't you know? information flow through ambassadors is a one way street, outside in. ;)
onions
Damp Noodle

Postby Turkguy19 » Wed May 13, 2009 9:05 pm

Uda Quai wrote:Would it be possible for LEGO to let fans know when they release sets that are made to sell out quickly? I'm sure many of us would appreciate a warning on those sets so we don't miss out thinking we can pick it up later. Notices could possibly be done through the ambassadors who would make sure the news hits all the major sites.

Most of the late year exclusives are meant to sell out quick.
Turkguy19

Postby Puddleglum » Thu May 14, 2009 5:13 am

Turkguy19 wrote:
Uda Quai wrote:Would it be possible for LEGO to let fans know when they release sets that are made to sell out quickly? I'm sure many of us would appreciate a warning on those sets so we don't miss out thinking we can pick it up later. Notices could possibly be done through the ambassadors who would make sure the news hits all the major sites.

Most of the late year exclusives are meant to sell out quick.

Yeah, the best advice here is any time you see a set that is "Exclusive" (They always put it on the box), I would assume it won't be around for long, and buy it if you want it. Sometimes they come back, sometimes they don't. (IIRC Dwarve's Mine was originally an exclusive that was later brought back with a wider release)
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby Draykov » Thu May 14, 2009 8:42 am

Uda Quai wrote:Would it be possible for LEGO to let fans know when they release sets that are made to sell out quickly?

Turk and Puddleglum have summed it up, but allow me to add this handy-dandy formula for anyone who still hasn't quite grasped the concept:

Christmas + Exclusive = made to sell out quickly
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Gumby » Thu May 14, 2009 10:14 am

That could be a double-edged sword... If LEGO explicitly said "this is a limited run for this Christmas season only", resellers might go nuts and scoop everything up...
Gumby

Postby speaknspell » Mon May 18, 2009 11:58 am

Draykov wrote:
Uda Quai wrote:Would it be possible for LEGO to let fans know when they release sets that are made to sell out quickly?

Turk and Puddleglum have summed it up, but allow me to add this handy-dandy formula for anyone who still hasn't quite grasped the concept:

Christmas + Exclusive = made to sell out quickly

this would be the best advice to follow. I've said it many many times before...but Dray used waaaaaay more colors than me.

Steve
Steve's Blog - Partially Obvious
speaknspell

Return to Ask LEGO