Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Sticker Shock!

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Sticker Shock!

Postby deco_droid » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:45 am

ok, i didn't want to hijack the other sticker thread. my question pertains to the stickers from the first republic gunship (7163).

it seems like i read on the 2.0 forums long ago that many others have experienced dismay that the stickers applied to that set in particular have a high failure rate, peeling away over time. mine have as well, but curiously, no other older sw lego set i own (1999 to present) has had this problem -- and they are all displayed in identical conditions.

when the new gunship 7676 appeared, i was hesitant to apply the stickers, thus promping my question. what i am wondering is, has lego investigated why 7163 has had an inordinate number of peeling issues, compared to other sets? was it just a bad run of sticker material, or is there some issue possibly with adhesion to white bricks perhaps? i'm just throwing out ideas. please steve, put my mind at ease -- my 2008/2009 sets are "naked" until further clarification...

;)
deco_droid

Re: Sticker Shock!

Postby UOldPirate » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:03 pm

Great thread topic. I stopped using stickers after the stickers on my 7163 gunships and my UCS rebel blockade runner cracked within a year. The only thing I've noticed is that the stickers on my UCS name plates that are as old or older than the 7163's are still in perfect shape. I too would love to hear any additional information on this subject.
UOldPirate

Re: Sticker Shock!

Postby bigospedros » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:02 am

I noticed yesterday that the stickers from 2005 on the Vulture Droid, Jedi JSFs and Tri-Fighter droids are going the same way. The way stickers are done now though seem different and I suspect they will last for much longer than previous ways of creating stickers.

This is why it'd be FAB is Lego could re-print older stickers for very popular sets using the new techniques
bigospedros
Staff Writer

Return to Ask LEGO