Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Sticker? Hardly know her...

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Re: Sticker? Hardly know her...

Postby Robzula » Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:45 am

bigospedros wrote:Having just looked at a review for one of the new Cars sets, I note that (to my great surprise) most of the parts that make the actual cars are printed, rather than relying on stickers.

I'm just wondering (nay, hoping!) if this is the start of Lego returning to printed parts for other themes in the future!?

The cars themselves are basically minifigures so it makes sense that they'd use printed pieces there. They also did this sort of thing with creatures in the Pharaoh's Quest sets (though the Atlantis creatures that I got were stickered, so I guess it's a newer trend). I guess we'll be seeing "living" things with printed parts in the future but there's no indication on non-living parts.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:32 am

bigospedros wrote:I'm just wondering (nay, hoping!) if this is the start of Lego returning to printed parts for other themes in the future!?

While that would be great news and may on some level be true, I'm inclined to think it has something to do with the contract specifics of the Disney/Pixar IP. That is total speculation on my part, but I was equally surprised at the number of printed parts in the Toy Story theme, and I can't help but feel there is a connection. While there are printed parts appearing outside of licensed properties, there are still a lot more stickers than I'd like. Proportionately, I'd say the Disney themes have more printed parts than other themes do.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby MrCRskater » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:29 am

Draykov wrote:. . . I'm inclined to think it has something to do with the contract specifics of the Disney/Pixar IP.

Ditto'd. With a few exceptions in the PotC line (and Woody's Round-up), virtually all of the decorated parts in the Disney-licensed lines have been printed. Disney understands what quality is about, so my guess is that they put the pressure on LEGO to print all of their parts.
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Postby Robzula » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:53 pm

Spoilered for length:
Spoiler: show
Prince of Persia
7569 Desert Attack: 1 decorated (1 printed (horse), 0 stickered)
7570 The Ostrich Race: 0 decorated
7571 The Fight for the Dagger: 0 decorated
7572 Quest Against Time: 0 decorated
7573 Battle of Alamut: 0 decorated

Pirates of the Caribbean (excludes Jack's compass)
4181 Isla De Muerta: 0 decorated
4182 The Cannibal Escape: 1 decorated (printed)
4183 The Mill: 8 decorated (1 printed, 7 stickered)
4191 The Captain’s Cabin: 5 decorated (printed)
4192 Fountain of Youth: 2 decorated (printed)
4193 The London Escape: 2 decorated (printed)
4194 Whitecap Bay: 10 decorated (stickered)
4195 Queen Anne’s Revenge: 15 decorated (1 printed, 14 stickered)

Toy Story
7590 Woody and Buzz to the Rescue: 4 decorated (printed, 3 on RC)
7591 Construct-a-Zurg: 0 decorated
7592 Construct-a-Buzz: 8 decorated (3 printed, 5 stickered)
7593 Buzz's Star Command Spaceship: 9 decorated (1 printed, 8 stickered)
7594 Woody's Roundup!: 7 decorated (1 printed, 6 stickered)
7595 Army Men on Patrol: 0 decorated
7596 Trash Compactor Escape: 7 decorated (1 printed, 6 stickered)
7597 Western Train Chase: 11 decorated (printed)
7598 Pizza Planet Truck Rescue: 12 decorated (printed)
7599 Garbage Truck Getaway: 1 decorated (printed)
7789 Lotso's Dump Truck: 0 decorated

Cars (only ones with Bricklink inventories currently)
8200 Radiator Springs Lightning McQueen: 4 decorated (printed [all on cars])
8201 Classic Mater: 4 decorated (printed [all on cars])
8206 Tokyo Pit Stop: 13? decorated (6 printed [all on cars], 7? stickered)
8487 Flo’s V8 Cafe (Flo's V8 Café): 30-ish decorated (20-ish printed [all on cars], 10 stickered)

Star Wars 2010
8083 Rebel Trooper Battle Pack: 0 decorated
8084 Snowtrooper Battle Pack: 1 decorated (printed)
8085 Freeco Speeder: 6 decorated (stickered)
8086 Droid Tri-Fighter: 14 decorated (2 printed, 12 stickered)
8087 TIE Defender: 2 decorated (printed)
8088 ARC-170 Starfighter: 14 decorated (stickered)
8089 Hoth Wampa Cave: 8 decorated (1 printed, 7 stickered)
8091 Republic Swamp Speeder: 9 decorated (2 printed, 7 stickered)
8092 Luke's Landspeeder: 0 printed, 0 stickered
8093 Plo Koon’s Jedi Starfighter: 8 decorated (1 printed, 7 stickered)
8095 General Grievous’ Starfighter: 6 decorated (1 printed, 5 stickered)
8096 Emperor Palpatine’s Shuttle: 3 decorated (1 printed, 2 stickered)
8097 Slave I: 11 decorated (1 printed, 10 stickered)
8098 Clone Turbo Tank: 4 decorated (2 printed, 2 stickered)
8099 Midi-Scale Imperial Star Destroyer: 0 decorated
8128 Cad Bane's Speeder: 11 decorated (1 printed, 10 stickered
8129 AT-AT Walker: 3 decorated (stickered)
10212 Imperial Shuttle: 6 decorated (5 stickered, 1 printed)
10215 Obi-Wan's Jedi Starfighter: 10 decorated (9 stickered, 1 printed)

So I'm not seeing where you're getting that Disney sets have more printed pieces. Outside of the Toy Story train set and Pizza Planet truck, they're no better than the recent Star Wars line, and those two sets had terrible price/piece ratios. The Cars line SEEMS like it's really good about printed parts, but you have to remember the cars themselves are essentially minifigs and outside of them there are NO printed pieces (yet)...
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby Drock » Sat Jun 04, 2011 4:41 am

The lightning McQueen and mater sets say "5-12". Perhaps Lego doesn't think ( and rightly so) that 5 year olds can handle stickers..
Drock

Postby cas » Sat Jun 04, 2011 9:00 am

I'm 25 and I can barely handle the stickers. I don't know how I do it, but I manage to always get them the slightest bit crooked or off center. It drives me nuts. I never have a problem with anything else as delicate. Lego stickers--the bane of my existence, tormented by woes of application.

This recent trend is welcome, but I'm assuming limited to the lines discussed in this thread. The Cars printing makes sense, since the Cars are characters and filling the role of the "minifigure." The printing allows the characters to be controlled by Disney, since I'm sure they've all been trademarked into oblivion.
cas
Staff Writer

Postby Draykov » Sat Jun 04, 2011 7:01 pm

Robzula wrote:So I'm not seeing where you're getting that Disney sets have more printed pieces. Outside of the Toy Story train set and Pizza Planet truck...

That would be exactly where I'm getting that.
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby dWhisper » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:54 am

The Cars sets have printed pieces for strange shapes or key elements, like faces or the car roofs. But there are some choices for sticker elements that make absolutely no sense, none more than the 8206 Tokyo Pit Stop. In the set, you have two checkered flag elements, and they actually give you two stickers for them, so you have the checkered flag... on one side.

So, you get this flag, in white. A very common part. And if there wasn't, I don't know, a decent option, like, say... this...

If this was a super-rare part, I'd get not just throwing it in there. But this flag is quite possibly sitting in PaB bins in every single LEGO store in the galaxy right now. I have an entire little bin full of the things, I picked them up over a year ago. The cost is obviously almost non-existent to make this element, as they're in such bulk. Why give a sticker for it instead of a full-fledged printed part?

More than that, it's something that really bugs me about the Cars sets in general. The long-standing reason for LEGO in dropping the number of minifigs and printed pieces was the high cost, in comparison to traditional elements. The Cars sets have no minifigures, and never will. The sets themselves are the minifigures, and are often built out of traditional parts. Seems like they just found a more margin-rich solution, instead of giving proper printed elements to the sets. Which makes me wonder if cost was ever the reasoning behind it all...
If the above post didn't offend you, you're probably reading it wrong.
dWhisper

Postby turtle » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:30 am

I was talking to a friend of mine who has done a lot of body work on cars over the years, and the subject of stickers came up.

short story is, appearantly the easy way to apply stickers and get them absolutely straight without bubbles is as follows.

1)apply dish soap to the surface of the part
2)appy the decal over the soap
3)sqeegee out the soap starting at the center of the decal, working in all directions

I rarely bother to apply any of the TLG decals, but the next time I do - I'm going to try this out
turtle

Postby Robzula » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:19 am

turtle wrote:1)apply dish soap to the surface of the part
2)appy the decal over the soap
3)sqeegee out the soap starting at the center of the decal, working in all directions

I rarely bother to apply any of the TLG decals, but the next time I do - I'm going to try this out

I'm no expert, but I'm pretty sure the car ones are very different from the LEGO ones and trying that on the LEGO stickers will ruin them.
Robzula
Staff Writer

Postby deco_droid » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:53 am

not only that -- where ya gonna find a 1 inch squeegee?
deco_droid

Previous

Return to Ask LEGO