Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Low quality Instruction Books?

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Low quality Instruction Books?

Postby Obama Llama » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:58 pm

Hi Steve, I recently purchased the Arc-170 Starfighter, and the instruction book was not so great. On a lot of the pages, the end of the pages were stuck together and I had to cut it to see what peices were used. Was this a fault, or lower quality in the making process?

Thank you.
Obama Llama

Re: Low quality Instruction Books?

Postby banthafodder » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:11 pm

I, too, just built the ARC 170 but did not have any problems with the book. Sounds like some of the pages got wet or maybe got some of the box adhesive on it during packaging. Personally I haven't noticed any change in the books but I have not looked that closely.
banthafodder

Postby Obama Llama » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:32 pm

banthafodder wrote:I, too, just built the ARC 170 but did not have any problems with the book. Sounds like some of the pages got wet or maybe got some of the box adhesive on it during packaging. Personally I haven't noticed any change in the books but I have not looked that closely.

No, it wasn't the adhesive, the pages were actually together, like a ring of paper.
Obama Llama

Postby bluemoose » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:33 am

It happens occasionally; it was an error.

Ring LEGO's customer support line & they'll probably send you a replacement - they'll likely ask for proof of purchase though.

Ian
bluemoose

Postby buhs » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:24 am

The only issue I've had with instruction books lately was with my UCS Death Star; about a dozen of the pages were missing. I was able to go online and download the PDF version to complete the model, and after contacting LEGO customer service they sent me a replacement copy. In this case it was a spiral bound book, and when the pages were stacked a section was missed (interesting fact: books are often assembles in sections, or "leaflets", and then sewn, glued or stapled together at the spine).

As with any printing process there are bound to be errors, in this particular post I conclude that the final guillotining process was somehow missed, or this particular book was misaligned on the press. My old next door neighbour is a book binder (a dying art) and he shared many stories over beer with me about this type of thing.
buhs

Return to Ask LEGO