Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Product placement on Sarah Connor Chronicles?

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Product placement on Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Postby bobalego » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:45 pm

2 Big Scenes with Bionicle so far and I have to admit the episode isn't over and I am writing this...so my question would LEGO actually do a product placement in a genius move to sci-fi geeks like me, on a great show. Albeit, a violent show like Sarah Connor Chronicles. It does rhyme with Bionicles... XD
bobalego

Re: Product placemwnt on Sarah Connor Chronicles?

Postby Jake » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:15 pm

...Except that, technically, BIONICLE is like LEGO in that there is no plural... ;)
From what I've read in the old BCS, as I don't actually watch this program, LEGO features fairly regularly.
Jake

Postby Solo » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:51 pm

It's not really a matter of LEGO asking them to put the toys in the show, it's the studio/writers putting it in the episodes. They've used models by LUGOLA members in the past too.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby theJudeAbides » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:25 pm

Actually, I liked the use of LEGO in this episode. There was actually a point to it beyond the "hey look, its LEGOs" factor. I especially enjoyed the line, "Why didn't God use ball and socket joints for all human joints?" It's a good question. I want my elbows and knees to be ball and socket joints and not boring click hinges!!
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby liquidcross » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:49 am

I found the product placement to be rather jarring for two reasons:

1) John Henry's lines explaining what the toys were sounded like he was reading them off a LEGO press release.

2) Bionicle toys are aimed at children. Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles most certainly is not. :lol:
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby speaknspell » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:27 am

The LEGO Company wasn't involved in the Sarah Conner Chronicles at all actually. This was completely a collaboration between fans and the show.

Steve
Steve's Blog - Partially Obvious
speaknspell

Postby Starsmore » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:07 pm

liquidcross wrote:I found the product placement to be rather jarring for two reasons:

1) John Henry's lines explaining what the toys were sounded like he was reading them off a LEGO press release.

Well, John Henry is a machine/AI, so it makes sense that it'd repeat what it read- the press release.
Starsmore

Postby Solo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:12 pm

Yeah, it made sense in context. I thought it was kind of funny.
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby liquidcross » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:58 pm

Starsmore wrote:Well, John Henry is a machine/AI, so it makes sense that it'd repeat what it read- the press release.

Touché.
(and don't forget Text and Violence)
liquidcross

Postby Dunechaser » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:03 pm

Starsmore wrote:Well, John Henry is a machine/AI, so it makes sense that it'd repeat what it read- the press release.

That's how I interpreted it, yes. My wife and I were laughing uproariously at how exactly John Henry parroted the Bionicle product descriptions. :lol:
Dunechaser

Return to Ask LEGO