Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Technic cost vs. System cost

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Technic cost vs. System cost

Postby MrCRskater » Sat May 30, 2009 11:32 am

My question is: does it generally cost a bit more to produce Technic pieces than regular System bricks?

The reason I ask is because a lot of folks have been complaining about the increase in prices (price/brick ratio). Of course, LEGO is obviously dealing with an increase in production costs across the board. However, I've noticed that in the past couple of years, LEGO sets are gaining more and more play features and moving parts, virtually all of which are reliant on an increased use of Technic pieces. So does this also factor into the increase in prices?
MrCRskater
Staff Writer

Re: Technic cost vs. System cost

Postby meeotch » Sat May 30, 2009 7:53 pm

Ooohh, interesting question that I'm very much interested in hearing the official answer to. I imagine there's a tradeoff between the fact that a technic beam's mold is more complex versus the fact that less abs is used to make a technic beam vs the same sized system beam (or is it?) so it's a fascinating thought. Although I also wonder how much of it is happenstance. I remember reading an interview a few months back from one of the set designers, and the thing I most retained from it is the fact that 4L technic axles cost more to produce than 6L because the mold for 4L is old and only successful in a fraction of the bunches, but it's cost inneffective to replace the mold right now.
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Postby Dalek Caan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:48 am

Surely they use the same amount of plastic? The Techinc beam has holes, yes, but then the brick is mostly hollow?

But I agree with you about the complicatedness of Techinc bricks.
Dalek Caan

Postby legodavee123 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:37 am

Dalek Caan wrote:Surely they use the same amount of plastic? The Techinc beam has holes, yes, but then the brick is mostly hollow?

According to a chemistry scale a few years back:

1x8 brick = 3.06061 g
1x8 technic brick = 2.89084 g

BrickLink also lists the weights of elements, but it's FAR less accurate:

Size - Tech - Normal
1x1 - 0.38 - 0.44
1x2 - 0.82 - 0.8
1x4 - 1.46 - 1.64
1x6 - 2.2 - 2.42
1x8 - 2.85 - 3.21
1x10 - 3.67 - 3.8
1x12 - 4.2 - 4.8
1x16 - 5.44 - 6.54

So it would seem that a technic brick is indeed lighter than a regular brick, with a possible exception at the 1x2 size.

DaveE
legodavee123

Return to Ask LEGO