Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

Ultimate Collector's Millenium Falcon

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

Ultimate Collector's Millenium Falcon

Postby rockinchidori » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:41 pm

When will Lego stop prodution on the Ultimat Collector's Millenium Falcon? I really want to get one but I'm saying up the money.
rockinchidori

Re: Ultimate Collector's Millenium Falcon

Postby ellerb » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:47 am

My guess is that TLG has already stopped producing the set now that they have inventories of it at the LEGO Brand Stores and various Shop at Home warehouses. Some retailers (TRU and FAO) also likely have copies in their inventory.

The real question is how soon will inventory levels get low so that someone like TRU or Amazon places it on clearance. Currently SAH is clearing out the first UCS Death Star and Eiffel Tower to make room for other products. Usually the largest UCS SW sets are sold for around three years.

Ben
ellerb

Postby rockinchidori » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:25 pm

I don't think so because My brother just got a Lego catalog and they still have it. The Collectors sets usually last a few years but we'll see. IDK thanks anyway
rockinchidori

Postby Draykov » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:31 pm

I'm no expert, and I don't know that LEGO takes the same approach to production as other toy companies, but it's quite possible that LEGO is done with their production run on a single set before it even hits retail. That is to say, 10179 may have been done with it's production run before it was ever available for sale and it's just a matter of time before retailers and consumers buy them up. That initial run was probably a significantly high number, but once they're done, they're done.

Some evidence that lends a bit of credence to that theory: there have been a few smaller ($20 or less) sets recently that sold out fairly quickly and then came back later at a higher price. For example, 4939 Cool Cars was originally for sale at $9.99. It sold out fairly quickly (about a year...maybe less), then became available again at $12.99. That could indicate that the set was given a subsequent production run. The first run was popular and sold well enough to justify bringing it back, but the MSRP was increased to offset the cost of instituting another production run of the set. Sure, sometimes sets come and go and come and go due to fluctuations in distribution, but the big difference here is that it was gone, then came back with a price hike, then was gone for good.

I could be way off on that, but it makes sense to me. :)
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby ellerb » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:38 am

Draykov makes an excellent point. Other evidence of producing second runs of products with new higher costs include 7905 Building Crane (first run $50 USD, second run $70 USD), 7666 Hoth Rebel Base (first run $50 USD, second run $60+ USD), and 7036 Dwarves' Mine (first run $50 USD, second run $60 USD).

Ben
ellerb

Postby Blondie-Wan » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:37 pm

ellerb wrote:7666 Hoth Rebel Base (first run $50 USD, second run $60+ USD)

I think that was more the TRU effect than anything else. LEGO itself sold all its copies of 7666 for $49.90-something.
Blondie-Wan

Return to Ask LEGO