Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

PAB Uniformity

A Member of LEGO Company's staff drops in here from time to time to answer questions from LEGO fans like you.

PAB Uniformity

Postby meeotch » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:23 pm

Simple question here: how similar are different b&m Lego Stores' PAB stock? If they are different, how is it chosen which store gets which elements?
"Always carefully check the source of your internet quotes" - Abraham Lincoln
meeotch

Re: PAB Uniformity

Postby ellerb » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:58 am

Unfortunately the stock is now highly similar at most North American LEGO Brand Stores. Standard items such as wheels, steering wheels, flowers, slopes, and basic bricks are always sold. My guess is there is less overproduction of elements for sets. These extra elements were originally offered frequently at PAB.

Now TLG is likely producing certain elements specifically for PAB. I am sure this makes kids and parents happy but it is less fun for AFOLs who would like more variety at the brand stores.

Ben
ellerb

Postby theJudeAbides » Sun May 03, 2009 9:17 pm

You know, I've talked to LEGO store employees about this myself, and basically they get whatever LEGO sends them, and there isn't much rhyme or reason to it. In fact, there are times when pieces like wedges and wings which have "opposite" pieces (i.e. left and right), where one store will get one and another store will get another (and the two stores will be nowhere near each other). I personally find it annoying that LEGO can't get some kind of rotation going, but whatever.
The beauty of a LEGO MOC is not the elements that go into it, but the way those elements are put together.
theJudeAbides

Postby gfxguy » Tue May 05, 2009 11:21 am

theJudeAbides wrote:You know, I've talked to LEGO store employees about this myself, and basically they get whatever LEGO sends them, and there isn't much rhyme or reason to it. In fact, there are times when pieces like wedges and wings which have "opposite" pieces (i.e. left and right), where one store will get one and another store will get another (and the two stores will be nowhere near each other). I personally find it annoying that LEGO can't get some kind of rotation going, but whatever.

What's funny is that recently our LEGO store had a PAB item that wouldn't even fit in the container. When I asked how the heck I was supposed to buy one, they were like "well... uh... we'll let you take a couple outside of the container, I guess."
gfxguy

Postby meeotch » Tue May 05, 2009 11:59 am

Ha! Which piece is that? My store has some big Castle tower building plates that they're just selling a la carte.
meeotch

Postby Blondie-Wan » Tue May 05, 2009 12:44 pm

gfxguy wrote:What's funny is that recently our LEGO store had a PAB item that wouldn't even fit in the container. When I asked how the heck I was supposed to buy one, they were like "well... uh... we'll let you take a couple outside of the container, I guess."

Hah! Funny. Like meeotch, I'm curious about the piece, and I'll add that I'm also curious about the store - which one was it?
Blondie-Wan

Postby gfxguy » Wed May 06, 2009 11:50 am

meeotch wrote:Ha! Which piece is that? My store has some big Castle tower building plates that they're just selling a la carte.

That's probably the one... it was a large brick (it was brick thick, not plate thick) and had small posts in the corners. I can't find it on BL.

This is the Lawrenceville, GA store.
gfxguy

Postby meeotch » Wed May 06, 2009 12:21 pm

That's the one.
meeotch

Postby Puddleglum » Wed May 06, 2009 5:18 pm

I've heard tell from a WAMALUG member that all manner of plant and leaf will be showing up on PaB walls soon enough. (Or at least, the Tyson's Corner store. But in my experience the PaB walls tend to be pretty similar from store to store) Here's the list I saw:

Plant 1 x 1 x 2/3 with 3 Large Leaves in green (Kee's plant)
Plant Brick 1 x 1 Round with 3 Bamboo Leaves in green
Plant Leaves 4 x 3 in green
Plant Leaves 6 x 5 in bright green (maybe green, I cannot remember)
Plant Sea Grass in transgreen
Small pine trees in green
Large pine trees in green (I think)
Plant Tree Palm Leaf Small in green but no palm tree tops or palm tree trunks.
Arch 1 x 5 x 4 in dark brown (chocolate) from MMV.
1x1x6 solid pillar in redbrown and bley

Also . . .
gfxguy wrote:That's probably the one... it was a large brick (it was brick thick, not plate thick) and had small posts in the corners. I can't find it on BL.

If you're referring to this:
I'm quite certain that part will fit in an empty PaB cup. Was it a different part, perhaps?
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby gfxguy » Wed May 06, 2009 5:52 pm

I think it was this:

And it'd fit into the rim of the cup, but it wouldn't go in far enough that you could close the top, it'd only fit like halfway into the large cup.
gfxguy

Postby Puddleglum » Wed May 06, 2009 7:38 pm

Hmm, don't think I've ever seen that part before! Strange that it's in PaB when it hasn't been in a set since 2004.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Postby meeotch » Wed May 06, 2009 7:50 pm

TLG probably plans to not ever use the piece again and needs to sell off their stock.
meeotch

Postby Puddleglum » Thu May 07, 2009 5:11 am

meeotch wrote:TLG probably plans to not ever use the piece again and needs to sell off their stock.

I certainly hope that's the case, because that is one ugly POOP.
Im in ur flickr
Puddleglum

Return to Ask LEGO