Travel the dunes with the LEGO� Star Wars™ Ultimate Collector Series Sancrawler™

FBTB - From Bricks To Bothans

Follow us: RSS
News? Questions? Comments? Email!

[PRESS RELEASE] Help choose one of the 2010 LEGO CITY Sets!

Though we don't cover them in detail on FBTB, we all still love our Castle, Pirates, and Space LEGO too.

Re: [PRESS RELEASE] Help choose one of the 2010 LEGO CITY Sets!

Postby Daz Hoo » Thu May 13, 2010 7:28 am

Of course people voted for Public Transit, since in the picture that was shown during the contest, you could clearly see a monorail. LEGO then came back later to say they would not re-introduce the monorail system, but the damage was done.

So, no, I'm not surprised that the train featured in the sets is on wheels instead of a rail.

And I totally agree with ThinkingImpaired: if you're going to put some sort of train in a set, just put it on rails. Rail fans don't get that much to chew on anyways, so why not give them this? One train set a year doesn't quite cut it IMHO.
Daz Hoo

Postby Solo » Fri May 14, 2010 1:48 pm

ThinkingImpaired wrote:Obviously if wheels constituted functionally necessary for light rail, then it wouldn't be light rail now would it? ;)
If we're going to get overly pedantic, that's entirely too small to hold anyone and lacks any sort of internal power to make it function as well, so wheels or no - that's not a light rail at all. Why, it's... it's nothing more than a toy!

Obviously a true light rail runs a a track embedded in the roadway. For Lego to recreate this accurately they would need an entire new track system built into baseplates for town sets, which would be awesome, but ludicrous to expect that kind of sweeping change thanks to a single set as the result from a fan feedback poll. The only feasible way for them to make one and sill have it playable is to put normal wheels on it and leave the tracks up to your imagination.

Edit: epiphany! What's really in this set is a trolleybus that only looks like a light rail (because enclosed wheels are awesome). The layout guy who photoshopped in the track impressions is who you should really be mad at here for getting your hopes up. ;)
                                                                                                                           Image
Solo

Postby ThinkingImpaired » Fri May 14, 2010 4:08 pm

Solo wrote:
ThinkingImpaired wrote:Obviously if wheels constituted functionally necessary for light rail, then it wouldn't be light rail now would it? ;)
If we're going to get overly pedantic, that's entirely too small to hold anyone and lacks any sort of internal power to make it function as well, so wheels or no - that's not a light rail at all. Why, it's... it's nothing more than a toy!

You brought up 'functionally necessary', not I. ;)

Lego should make things as realistic as is practical. They've made tracks in the past so if they're making a light rail train, they should add tracks....I mean you could put wings on a helicopter so "it can fly" and say "well it's up to the kid's imagination to have a rotor on it" or you could just make it look like a helicopter. Same thing here. :)
Don't you waste away, for tomorrow will soon be today
ThinkingImpaired

Re: [PRESS RELEASE] Help choose one of the 2010 LEGO CITY Se

Postby Draykov » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:29 am

You know the drill: review - Eurobricks
Hail Space!
Draykov

Postby Flynn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:33 pm

Honestly, I'm really disappointed this didn't have a monorail, considering that was the entire reason for why I voted for this set in the first place...Ah, well, on its own it's a nice enough set, I guess...
joecrowaz on Flickr wrote:Flynn you little wussy with a purple robed fairy for an icon,

Flickr Brickshelf
Flynn

Postby Draykov » Thu Jul 29, 2010 7:04 am

I agree...kinda lame with no track of any kind, but not altogether surprising. File this under "be careful what you wish for."
Hail Space!
Draykov

Previous

Return to Original Themes